1. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Cubi™ The Panty Stealing Enby

Antarctica
    From what I can tell, no matter how large the piracy community is, it's still a rather small subculture in the gaming industry. There's still more people buying their games than pirating. And really, no matter how easy hacking the 3DS is, it's still a hassle for most people.
    It seems like every time there's flashcarts, mod chips, ect. Everyone is afraid that this will spell the doom for Nintendo, yet Nintendo still makes massive bank on their products.

a9lh-1user likes this.
  2. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware
    Developer

Micronesia, Federated States of
    It's difficult to gauge the piracy community's size and effect on sales, but Nintendo still thinks it's a problem, and that's really all you need to know to guess whether they think it's worthwhile to continue to fix exploits.

I'll also add that if Ninty plans to add 3ds backwards compat to the next platform, it's extremely important to keep it locked down as much as possible. A lot of 3ds entry points were from DS(i) vulns.

Last edited by zoogie, Apr 26, 2016
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah man Nintendo really keeping up trying to make sure no one is using those pesky r6 golds :rofl2:

4. zoogie

Developer

Given that you can achieve arm9 access up to 10.3 with the help of a DS flashcard, they really should.

5. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    They decided the firmware is now very stable.

6. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    For the NX, I wish that they would go back to non-region locking. That's the main reason why I decided to deal with a9lh - because I sometimes go to Hong Kong and region locking makes me mad that I can't buy actual games from that region without buying a new console.

Tomato Hentai and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  7. a9lh-1user

a9lh-1user Newbie

I'am sure that only 5% - 10% of all 3DS customers are using A9LH (or something similar).

I second this! They make a lot of money!
    As long as 90% - 95% are pay for the games Nintendo releases they will continue the 3DS :) (hopefully)

Last edited Apr 26, 2016
  8. zoogie

Developer

I can't believe people here actually think Nintendo isn't going to patch memchunkhax 2.1/svchax. Completely delusional. :P
    Then again, a lot of tempers believe in prohax and hykem's fake twitter so ... lol.

Tomato Hentai and ihaveamac like this.
  9. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I do agree that going a month or two without any kind of response to a downgrade exploit is a bit weird, but what do I know? :P

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  10. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

United States
    I think Nintendo could just work on a new encryption similar to N3DS 9.5 before the community broke it if they wanted to and they likely are, but it's probably not a very high priority. With decreasing sales and NX being right around the corner, if NX is not a hybrid, that would only mean a new portable is right around the corner for possibly 2017 anyway. Who knows. They also said that 3DS still has a lot of life left.

Last edited by Selim873, Apr 26, 2016
  11. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    heh, look how good it turned out last time they did it :P Also, we have ALL of the extra encryption keys that were stored in the secret sector, so unless they decide they're going to implant more keys in NAND (which was only done at the factory on N3DSes) then anything they do is really pointless, especially since a lot of people already know their OTPs, since it's one of the few "safe" things someone would quickly defeat it, no, there isn't really a point in doing so.... with that all said, I'm sure Ninty will eventually patch the new stuff, but I'm working on downgrading (With a hardmod!) from any firmware (it isn't too bad, basically just get the FIRM xorpads, inject, then tap into the i2c lines on the MCU and try a bunch of different normalkeys in the secret sector until one of them jumps to our code... this isn't MY idea totally, but I'm planning on actually implementing it) at it's current state the 3ds will always be hackable with a hardmod and something as simple as a RaspberryPi (maybe even simpler, but that's going to be my first attempt)

democracy likes this.
  12. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    With all those people installing .tik files and redownloading not bought games, you think Nintendo will try to fix this first.
    .tik files / CDN-FX / FunkeyCIA / CIAngel / etc... basicly makes Nintendo's own eshop into a free warez eshop.

It's something i would fix before fixing memchunkhax2.1

Last edited by DjoeN, Apr 26, 2016
  13. polarbernd

polarbernd Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    Plot twist: smea, pluto and co hired by nintendo...

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

14. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Lmao. Pretty much. I still buy stuff I like off of the eshop, but I refuse to buy "main series" games like Pokemon/Yo-kai Watch/MH on digital download. No way, no how. Not when Nintendo themselves control the content always...

15. azublazer

azublazer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Could you elaborate on this Mystery Dungeon entry point?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - maintenance, Another, weekly