Another Nintendo leak uploaded online, features betas and source code for many SNES games

fNoC788.png

It's time for another anonymous treasure trove. Someone has, yet again, posted a collection of highly interesting bits of Nintendo history, in the form of source codes, development repositories, and beta/debug builds of Super Nintendo games. This is an addition to the previously uploaded content we've seen earlier this year, which included beta Pokemon designs, the source code for the Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 64 prototypes, and other files. In this leak, source code for Star Fox and Star Fox 2, Super Mario World, Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Island, F-Zero, potentially Super Mario RPG, A Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and more are all available. Some Twitter users have already gotten their hands on the files, uploading footage of these beta versions of games, such as an early build of Yoshi's Island, seen below.

Downloads for these files cannot be provided, though they are making their rounds across the internet, and have not been taken down from their original source yet.

Referred to by some as the "Gigaleak", the contents of the 4chan post are as such, so far.

Contents of the leak:
Full development repository for Ensata official DS emulator
\20100713cvs_backup.tar\ensata\

Full development repository for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
\20100713cvs_backup.tar\pokemon\pm_dp_ose\

Full development repository for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, ending in March of 2006
\20100713cvs_backup.tar\pokemon\pokemon_dp\

Full personal development repository by a Diamond and Pearl dev
\20100713cvs_backup.tar\pokemon\yama_work\

Full development repository for NetCard (cancelled GBA peripheral)
\netcard.7z

iQue GBA stuff

Full development repository for Game Boy Advance BIOS
\other.7z\agb_bootrom.zip\agb_bootrom

Full development repository for Game Boy Color Boot ROM
\other.7z\agb_bootrom.zip\cgb_bootrom

Full master ROM database (America and Japan, NOT Europe) for Famicom and NES including the ROMs (and I mean everything - there’s even Nintendo World Championships 1990 and shit like that)
\other.7z\NES
\other.7z\HVC

Master ROM of Super Mario RPG

Source code to Star Fox
Source code to Star Fox 2
Source code to Link’s Awakening DX
Link’s Awakening DX bug reports
Source code to Wild Trax / Stunt Race FX
Source code to Yoshi’s Island
Source code to Mario Kart
Source code to F-Zero
Source code to TLOZ A Link to the Past
TLOZ A Link to the Past dev stuff & bug reports
Source code to Super Mario All-Stars (including Mario World?)
Source code to the Wii VC Game Boy Emulator
Some weird prototype game (“super_donkey”, from early 1993 - Yoshi’s Island style)
Super Mario Kart prototype(s)
Full development repository for a tool to upload titles to the Wii Shop Channel
“WallPaperPasswordMaker” source code
Random test program source code
Seven early 1990s tape backups
Several Super Mario World 2 prototypes - “Super Mario Bros 5: Yoshi’s Island”
eTicket signing keys for an unknown system
Private and public keys for “various arcade manufacturers”
Game Boy Advance and Iris (early 2003-era DS prototype with 1 screen) board documentation
Tons and tons of CAD documents in general relating to Nintendo products
Wii private keys?
ES/FS source code (IOS) (also a p2p/voice chat lib?)
P2p lib:
/netcard.7z/gba/depot-offline/sw/common/sdks/p2p
IOS Arm Toolchain patches:
netcard/gba/depot-offline/sw/devroot/tools
Hamtaro Ham-Hams Unite! debug build
other\CGB\B86__ハム太郎 2\Master\USA\ham2usa_020807
SuperFX Test Program (1991)

DarkraiPK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I just came to ask a thing:

I have the other.7z file, and I want to compile the SNES stuff.
So, what software I need to compile it? I see it's all assembly code, but it is obvious that it needs its own SDK, am I right?

WannyTiggah

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I came here to ask if someone has figured out how to decode the attached files in the emails from the NEWS file.

I'm referring to the stuff that starts with xbtoa Begin:
6PdD1fa.png

(blacked out stuff just in case)

From what I found they're "binary to ascii" type of attachment but seems it's a super obscure thing that hasn't been used in years.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came here to ask if someone has figured out how to decode the attached files in the emails from the NEWS file.

I'm referring to the stuff that starts with xbtoa Begin:
6PdD1fa.png

(blacked out stuff just in case)

From what I found they're "binary to ascii" type of attachment but seems it's a super obscure thing that hasn't been used in years.
Try changing your computer's language to Japanese. I haven't looked through that specific email (only the horny one from Star Fox 2).

Reactions: Risteing

WannyTiggah

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It doesn't help me much. There must be some tool that converts that BTOA stuff into sromchk.lzh (that's seems to be a popular compression format in Japan but it's supported by 7-zip)

EDIT: seems that those emails were from international users. Some interesting subjects are:
- the aforementioned sromchk.lzh
- SFRG-FO[Ver.00] (SFRG-FO is the German Release of Star Fox)
- 5 Games (no clue about which ones. Mystery!)

In the NEWS_02.tar\.\local\ directory there's Unix executables: atob, btoa, tarmail, tarmail1, untarmail, untarmail1.
But copied those executables to a Linux virtual machine and I get an error when trying to run atob, either with or without a file as a parameter :
cPDIdYA.png

Last edited by WannyTiggah, , Reason: wording

_n3o_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For those who got the files, can someone tell me more about it ?

Thanks ;)

WannyTiggah

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Okay, so I couldn't extract the files in the NEWS_11.tar file because apparently WinRAR thinks the archive is corrupted.
Use 7-Zip.

Be aware that you'll be prompted to overwrite files because Unix/Linux is case sensitive for file names while Windows isn't, for example:
KGrr6KX.png

Check the different dates. In some cases it's by some minutes and in some by MONTHS.

Last edited by WannyTiggah,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, exactly. You need to find the decoding tool for the super obscure thing that hasn't been used in years - an alternative to MIME, UUEncode, and BinHex before these things became more standardized. A little googling turns up some likely candidates.

BigPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For those who got the files, can someone tell me more about it ?

Thanks ;)

Probably the keys for Nintendo Wii Based Arcade Board that is used for Tatsunoko Vs Capcom : Cross Generation of Heroes as example.

Code:
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=901

WannyTiggah

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yes, exactly. You need to find the decoding tool for the super obscure thing that hasn't been used in years - an alternative to MIME, UUEncode, and BinHex before these things became more standardized. A little googling turns up some likely candidates.
Tried with ESSCode... the decoded files don't work =C

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tried with ESSCode... the decoded files don't work =C
You probably have to set up the encoded file in a very specific way. The easiest means of checking would be to encode a file on your own, look at the encoded file in Notepad, and then set up Nintendo's encoded file in such a way that it matches. I expect it's also probably picky about the line break format.

And of course if it's a multipart encoded file (such things were common back in the day) and the other parts are not in the archive, there's nothing to be done.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It doesn't help me much. There must be some tool that converts that BTOA stuff into sromchk.lzh (that's seems to be a popular compression format in Japan but it's supported by 7-zip)

EDIT: seems that those emails were from international users. Some interesting subjects are:
- the aforementioned sromchk.lzh
- SFRG-FO[Ver.00] (SFRG-FO is the German Release of Star Fox)
- 5 Games (no clue about which ones. Mystery!)

In the NEWS_02.tar\.\local\ directory there's Unix executables: atob, btoa, tarmail, tarmail1, untarmail, untarmail1.
But copied those executables to a Linux virtual machine and I get an error when trying to run atob, either with or without a file as a parameter :
cPDIdYA.png
https://cryptii.com/pipes/ascii85-encoding

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Last edited by eyeliner,
Reactions: Kwyjor

WannyTiggah

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Does anyone know how to rebuild the NES/Famicom romset? I'd like to compare it to No-Intro's.

Thanks.

@WannyTiggah, @piratesephiroth, @Kwyjor Try this, my dudes:
https://pastebin.com/yxRwWjpE
OMG It *almost* works fully.

I used
Code:
decode.py -i 1 -k 'nishi\0'
(from within usr01/eng/Mail/inbox) and a 1.tar.Z file is extracted but then 7-zip can't open it =C

EDIT: THE KEY MUST NOT BE BETWEEN 's. It's just for example -k nishi\0
EDIT2: I'm highly curious about how did you figure out the keys for the emails :o

EDIT3:
5RtFGoq.png

In one of the emails there's indeed some build of the German version of Star Fox. Now, if someone can analyze to point at the differences (if any) with the retail version...

EDIT4: The parts of the Super Mario RPG ROM that are in the folders inside SFC\ROM\SuperMarioRPG\JP(/US) can be joined with cmd with:
Code:
copy /b part1+part2+part3+part4 output.sfc
Aaand... the game seems to be the finished version. Bummer.

EDIT5: From the "5 games" email, we have:
- NHI02 (single file) and NU803 (split): Don't load in bsnes. From the size I'm assuming they're NES games?
- SHX01 (split) : Super High Impact
- SMU00 (split) : Mario is Missing
- STX02 (split): TAZ-MANIA

From the "bubsy and waldo" email it's literally those games. SGW05 is "The Great Waldo Search" and SUY02 (split) is the first Bubsy.

From the "dungeons and dogs" email we have... Wayne's World ?

Last edited by WannyTiggah,
Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Jonnysert

Trophies
Website
giupviectheogio.com
XP
Country
Canada
The bizarre arrangement of Bob-omb Battlefield doesn't seem to sync with the video. I guess the prototype has no sound, and BoB was added in post by the video uploader? Strange choice.

Kyleboy21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use 7-Zip.

Be aware that you'll be prompted to overwrite files because Unix/Linux is case sensitive for file names while Windows isn't, for example:
Check the different dates. In some cases it's by some minutes and in some by MONTHS.
I just used 7-Zip and it acts like it doesn't wanna open it as an archive at all.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
EDIT2: I'm highly curious about how did you figure out the keys for the emails :o
Wasn't me, but the encription method is known and not too hard to grasp.
Also, those were not my main point of interest. I'm having my fun with the NES romset. I love that I have the progs and chars and can rebuild the roms.
Too bad no euro set.
I hope there comes a snes one as well.

Last edited by eyeliner,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill