Another Advantage when using MenuHax to boot CFW

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DjoeN, Nov 8, 2015.

1. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    No more unwrapping giftboxes everytime on linked CFW

What you need:
    - MenuHax
    - CFW
    - MenuHax set on autoboot (No holding L or any other button) (Ok, it doesn't have to autoboot :P )
    - NAND and Emunand are linked!
    - CTRBootManager

Optional:
    - Another CFW
    - Any Homebrew Launcher

So you know how anoying it is to unwrap giftboxes on your linked nand's!

The previous solution was installing them also in sysnand under rxTools devmode or rxTools sysnand
    (You got an error from FBI saying it was already installed and then you could just return back, no need to actually install it)
    The disadvantage was, the icon showed up when you booted into sysnand but no topscreen banner and you can't boot it anyway + the extra work you have to do

Well i have my O3DSXL setup to autoboot into ctrbootmanager and from there i have the choice to boot into Cakes CFW / rxTools CFW / @smealum original Homebrew Launcher / @mashers Homebrew Launcher with grid layout / @suloku Homebrew Launcher with sorting and folder support / Reboot my 3DS
    It 's set to boot Cakes within 5 seconds if i don't push a button to choose something else.

When i installed CIA's throu FBI i noticed on the next boot into CFW i didn't had to unwrap the giftboxes everytime again.

In short:
    - NAND and Emunand are linked!
    - Autoboot into CTRBootManager
    - Boot into Cakes CFW / rxTools CFW
    - Install CIA game with FBI
    - Go back to Home and unwrap giftbox
    - Turn O3DS off
    - Turn O3DS back on and boot into CTRBootManager
    - Boot into Cakes
    - No need to unwrap the giftboxes again

However when you hold a button to boot into sysnand for some reason, you won't see the installed CIA icons (I find that a good thing) and boot afterwards from sysnand to emunand (OoT / Cubic Ninja / IronFall / Browser / MSET) you have to unwrap your giftboxes again.

It may already have been said, but i couldn't find it ;)

[EDIT]
    Haven't tested it when launching CFW through HBL, i mean those who autoboot into MenuHax and boot straight into any HBL, then you choose your CFW from your HBL.

Last edited by DjoeN, Nov 8, 2015
    DrakeLyon likes this.
  2. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    If your nands are linked, you can install the cia in both and you wont have the gift wrap bug

You said it was extra work but it really isnt, it doesnt install a second time

Last edited by EmceeKerser, Nov 8, 2015
  3. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Well it is extra work :P and like posted in the OP it indeed doesn't really install

4. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Saturn is better than Jupiter :P
    Uhm ... OK
    Thanks to this I realized that ctrbootmanager is actually really neat. Now I think i'll install it today :D

5. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Can autoboot (not going through Ctrlbootmanager menu) work? Or must going through the menu?

Asking because if combine this method and the method in this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-menuhax-on-linked-nands.403441/ , wouldn't it neater for people who are more into virtual console games? Use ReiNAND 3.1 which have problem with "Rei" string (for O3DS search for the mod ReiNAND version. Not sure whether it's the 3.1 version or not). Also, add this http://ihaveamac.github.io/ninjhax2.x/ to the mix.

Advantages:

1. EMUNAND can be updated to latest firmware without breaking menuhax.

2. Less work to install CIA manager for EMUNAND unlike with unlinking NANDs method

3. Only installed VC games once (if I am not mistaken)

4. Have a feel of booting to ReiNAND SYSNAND due to @ihaveamac modded ropbin removing the image of flashing bottom screen and debug screen.

Last edited by tivu100, Jan 24, 2016
  6. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    Does the gift wrap problem happen if you boot sysnand under cfw with signature patching?

7. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Yes. More precisely, happens on both NANDs if your NANDs are linked and you boot not via menuhax & ctrlbootmanager method listed on the OP.

8. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    It happens when both NANDS are linked and you only install something on the one

Everytime you boot the NAND that it wasnt installed to, it considers it a new addition and re-gift wraps it