Anonymous protest falls flat

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony reportedly tasked police with protecting its stores from protests by supporters of the hacker group Anonymous – but hardly anyone turned up.

Anonymous had threatened Sony with a protest that would involve supporters sitting in its Sony Centres and returning Sony products.

But reports on the protest's Facebook page (via VGChartz) show the planned "Sony Operation" flopped.

"Just went to a Sony store for the first time in my life!" wrote one anonymous attendee. "Bought a Bravia
smile.gif
"

Despite the failure, Anonymous vowed to fight on.

"Operation Sony success," wrote the author of the page. "Sony closed UK stores during protests on Saturday. The fight for the fair consumer rights goes on.

"There will be another protest date. This movement does not end here."

Anonymous' beef is the result of PlayStation 3 hacker George "Geohot" Hotz's out of court settlement with Sony.

Last week Anonymous promised Sony it would deliver "the biggest attack you have ever witnessed".

That followed Anonymous' decision to "temporarily suspended" its war on the PlayStation Network – saying its beef was with Sony, not Sony's customers. "Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," Anonymous said. "We realise that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers.

"Anonymous is on your side, standing up for your rights. We are not aiming to attack customers of Sony. This attack is aimed solely at Sony, and we will try our best to not affect the gamers, as this would defeat the purpose of our actions. If we did inconvenience users, please know that this was not our goal.

"This operation is a response to Sony's attempt to deprive their customers of products they bought and therefore own, wholly and completely. Anonymous will not attempt to fight this by following the exact same course of action.

"We have plenty of tricks up our sleeves."
[/p]

Source

Proof that anything that involves the Anonymous leaving their basements is just too much.

Z

Zorua

"Just went to a Sony store for the first time in my life!" wrote one anonymous attendee. "Bought a Bravia
smile.gif
"

EPIC!
rofl2.gif

I'm kinda sad that it failed though.
frown.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zeroneo said:
But they still got what they wanted i guess. If the stores are closed no one can buy Sony products there.
Sony has been shutting their stores down across Canada, probably due to shitty business and the fact that Sony electronics are so stupidly overpriced compared to the competition now.

Z

Zorua

A Gay Little Catboy said:
Is this really that shocking?
Who said it was 'shocking'?
I call this an EPIC FAIL.
Anon are a bunch of retards who think of themselves as 'freedom fighters'.
Sony should legally fight them.
If they do, I'll support them.
Someone really needs to teach anon a lesson.
I mean, Sony, at the end of the day, are fighting to earn their well deserved money aren't they?
Why the hell is anon messing with the private life of the Sony President?
They seriously are sore retards who have nothing better to do.......

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno if this should be classified as a failure. Sure it didn't work, but it's just a stepping stone. You be surprised what can happen through online organization. eg: tea party was totally through facebook.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Argentum Vir said:
I dunno if this should be classified as a failure. Sure it didn't work, but it's just a stepping stone. You be surprised what can happen through online organization. eg: tea party was totally through facebook.
Uh... Tea Party wasn't "totally through facebook". Their "grass roots" are Fox News.
They were bought and paid for before they were called the 'Tea Party'.
The Tea Party is fighting to uphold the Bush Tax Cuts... the cuts that affected the rich, which make up some of the biggest Tea Party backers. It's not about the everyday American that the Teabaggers got duped into thinking.

QUOTE(jerome27 @ Apr 18 2011, 04:39 PM) You mad OP.

Anonymous is like herpes. They never go away.
Got the first part right, second part... eh. They might not go away but they're easy enough to ignore.
Nice job with leaving the part about 'no girl will want to sleep with you' out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm