Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Unable to update

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Ar7ific1al, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure where to put this, so if I've posted in the wrong part of the forum, I apologise.

I am using an O3DS XL, the new boot9strap, Luma3DS (latest stable; 8.0), sys firm 11.4.0-37U. I have a physical copy of ACNL.

I downloaded the 1.4 update back in November whenever it released, and played it for a couple of weeks before getting bored. I decided I wanted to play it again, and my 3DS tells me there's an update for the game. So I let it update. It takes forever, and sits at the halfway point for about an hour. I turn off the wifi, thinking it would just error out. Nope, I get the "a problem has occurred, blah blah, hold button to turn off" message. I do so, and try letting it update again. Same thing happens - update gets stuck halfway.

I've deleted the update data. I still can't update the game. I've tried downloading from the eShop manually, I've tried using download later and letting it sleep to download. Nothing works - the game simply won't update.

I can confirm my 3DS is not banned - I can go online in my games just fine. I was also able to update other games just fine. I just can't update ACNL for some reason.

Any advice is appreciated. If anymore information is needed to assist, I'll do my best to provide it.

EDIT: Tried the "download later" thing and put my 3DS to sleep to let it try to update the game. Checked on it a few minutes later and both screens are just black - the backlight isn't even on. Forced power off was my only option. May be worth mentioning that, for some reason, my 3DS recently started getting locked in sleep mode if I let it sleep for even just a few days. Starting to think I just need a new 3DS altogether, which is complete crap because I've taken such good care of this thing and it's only 4 years old. I guess it's not 1990 anymore when devices were built to withstand a nuclear blast.

EDIT2: I've now resorted to trying freeShop. It has stalled at installing update 1/2 at 68.4%. This is ridiculous. lol

EDIT3: I've done nothing that should have made a difference. The game successfully updated from freeShop this time. All I've done since trying freeShop the first time was begin backing up my SD card, cancel backing up my SD card, uninstall a couple games I'm never going to play anyway (I already had ~8 gigs free on my 64 gig SD card) try to launch the game without updating, receive the message telling me I have to update the game to play it. Then I tried updating with freeShop again and suddenly it worked. So problem solved itself somehow...

Last edited by Ar7ific1al, Jun 6, 2017
  2. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    I would check your card to make sure it's not corrupted or fake. Sounds like issue with your SD card.
    https://3ds.guide/f3-(linux)
    https://3ds.guide/f3x-(mac)
    https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows)

3. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    I'm 110% sure my SD card is not fake. Thanks for suggesting, though.