ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

Roxerism

Trophies
XP
Country
I just wanted to take the time to thank this thread
I was using EFE for all my edits (half of them crashed due to EFE's limits :()
Now if you need me, I'll be using Ohana3DS.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait, which version of Ohana3DS are people using to import and save changes to models and textures? I have tried the newest version of OhanaXY, the newest Ohana Rebirth, and the older version of Rebirth floating around the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread. It seems like efe can't do it either.

I'd really like to try working with custom modeling for villagers and players, but I can't figure out how to import and save my custom models and textures.

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to some information from Mega-Mew I was able to figure out map collisions!
Using the collision data in grd_jmp.bin I have found a pondlike collision. I will do some more tests and confirm a few things but so far so good! Everything is falling into place, and with this information this should help us make custom acres.

Here is a little screenshot of the pond collisions, I basically just converted some string into "." and "," depending whether it was grass or water. I will write up a detailed explanation soon

sBSjC6Q.png

Last edited by Coleman_C18,

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to some information from Mega-Mew I was able to figure out map collisions!
Using the collision data in grd_jmp.bin I have found a pondlike collision. I will do some more tests and confirm a few things but so far so good! Everything is falling into place, and with this information this should help us make custom acres.

Here is a little screenshot of the pond collisions, I basically just converted some string into "." and "," depending whether it was grass or water. I will write up a detailed explanation soon

sBSjC6Q.png

This is a good find! However, I doubt the ponds are dynamic in that if you change one of your ' or ; to a . , it will display the model with a different collision, but the model doesn't change. So I'm thinking it's a static model file. Am I wrong, I'm honestly not sure.

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a good find! However, I doubt the ponds are dynamic in that if you change one of your ' or ; to a . , it will display the model with a different collision, but the model doesn't change. So I'm thinking it's a static model file. Am I wrong, I'm honestly not sure.
Nah, I know that, the collision shape just tells the game where the water is. The game has 261 different acre models it chooses from when generating the map, these collisions just correlate to a specific acre map.

My "," and "." are just a way to show me where the collisions are visually.

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
The game has 261 different acre models it chooses from when generating the map

Actually we can only use 254 acres (01 to FF, 00 doesn't exist because it always crashes), so some acres are unused by the game ?

And some of 0F->FF range acres are teleportation acres, I can't explain but when you walk in them, it will teleport you to a villager house or the shopping area (I don't recall the english word for that)

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually we can only use 254 acres (01 to FF, 00 doesn't exist because it always crashes), so some acres are unused by the game ?

And some of 0F->FF range acres are teleportation acres, I can't explain but when you walk in them, it will teleport you to a villager house or the shopping area (I don't recall the english word for that)
It seems that way, there are at least 5 collisions so far that are for a map that consists of only grass that I've seen. My guess is they would have been test map collisions or something.

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have time to do a detailed writeup right now, I should soon. But if you want to do some experiments of your own.
Using HxD open grd_jmp.bin (found in romfs\Bg\Data) and set your "Byte group size" to 2. (View>>Byte Group Size>>2) and your "Bytes per row"(optional) to 160 (View>>Bytes per row"
The collisions are A00 bytes in length per map, you can go from there.
At the moment, aside from eyeballing the collisions pattern there is no way to determine what acre they go to...
Here are a few of the collision types (big thanks to megamew):
8410 = sand ground
CE39 = grass ground
4A29 = river ground
EF3D = solid??
0000 = sea

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering we know where the map generation stuff is, it'd be great if we could find out how to change the boundaries.

I'm mostly looking for Island boundaries now. One of the Island Tour maps has an Island that's around 12x bigger than the default one, if not even bigger, yet still has a ton of ocean space to get all the fishes and stuff. You can make this type of Island shape by editing acres, but the boundaries are pushed out a bit more in the Island Tour ones so you have ocean space.

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering we know where the map generation stuff is, it'd be great if we could find out how to change the boundaries.

I'm mostly looking for Island boundaries now. One of the Island Tour maps has an Island that's around 12x bigger than the default one, if not even bigger, yet still has a ton of ocean space to get all the fishes and stuff. You can make this type of Island shape by editing acres, but the boundaries are pushed out a bit more in the Island Tour ones so you have ocean space.
Perhaps you could try messing with island_type.bin (found in romfs\TemplateData\island)? may be related.

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait, which version of Ohana3DS are people using to import and save changes to models and textures? I have tried the newest version of OhanaXY, the newest Ohana Rebirth, and the older version of Rebirth floating around the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread. It seems like efe can't do it either.

I'd really like to try working with custom modeling for villagers and players, but I can't figure out how to import and save my custom models and textures.

I'm having the same problem, if anyone has any ideas.

MasterLel

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Any idea what are "1440", "1441", "1442" bytes in grd_jmp.bin ?

Because the first acre of grd_jmp.bin looks like this :

1447696998-acre1.png

Green = CE39 = grass (according to @Coleman_C18 )
Red = 1440 = ????
Orange = 1441 = ????

It makes no sense, but it's symmetrical for some reason

by the way each acre is 0x200 length apparently...

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea what are "1440", "1441", "1442" bytes in grd_jmp.bin ?

Because the first acre of grd_jmp.bin looks like this :

1447696998-acre1.png

Green = CE39 = grass (according to @Coleman_C18 )
Red = 1440 = ????
Orange = 1441 = ????

It makes no sense, but it's symmetrical for some reason

by the way each acre is 0x200 length apparently...

While there are more, you typically will find 1440/1441/1442/1443 by grass collisions. I've replaced these values and found nothing notable, I don't know what they do yet. But from what I observed they split the map in 4 parts with following pattern:

1 2
3 4
6H50wkf.png

1 = 1440
2 = 1441
3 = 1442
4 = 1443

A complete collision map will have all 4.
I might also note water, sand, ect all have different bytes at the end, like A802 or 1042.
Definitely play around with them! I've been trying to understand what they do.

Edit: It is impossible that each acre is 200 long, it doesnt divide into 668160 ( the size of the file) Each map collision is A00 or (2560) bytes long. and contains the four "sections" different number or not, that I listed above.

MasterLel

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
I don't have access to HBL at the moment so I can't test in-game and see what happens, but i'll still try to make some "graphical representations" of the bytes, you know

There is a little problem though ;

acre 09 is this :
1447699463-09.png

but in the file, the 9th acre is grass only (with 1440 1441...), so it's not "in order"

edit: I think I got something wrong, doing more research

Last edited by MasterLel,

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have access to HBL at the moment so I can't test in-game and see what happens, but i'll still try to make some "graphical representations" of the bytes, you know

There is a little problem though ;

acre 09 is this :
1447699463-09.png

but in the file, the 9th acre is grass only (with 1440 1441...), so it's not "in order"
No worries, from what I can tell they are in order. 3 and 4 are both pond colisions.
9 indeed has grass collisions but towards the center has bytes 1141 and 9E41, which actually might solve this mystery.
Perhaps the those bytes tell the game whether you can dig,fish,what step sounds to play, ect?

also. if anyone with programming knowledge wants to help please checkout this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/request-...-hex-into-seperate-files.403268/#post-5810443

MasterLel

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Alright let me correct myself ; acres aren't 0x200 long but 0xA00 long, each "tile" (or block, whatever you call it) seems to be 10 bytes long, now the graphic looks like this :

1447701240-acre2.png

(16x16 acre)

and in game :

1447701453-01.png

So you were right, and we need a program to exact the bytes automatically, it would take to much time to do that manually. We still have to find what are these 1440/1441/1442 exactly... probably just a byte to tell the game where ends the tile collision

Last edited by MasterLel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1