Hacking anemone theme crashes 3ds

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try turning on the 3DS without SD (hopefully you have copied boot.firm to CTRNAND; else it will not turn on without SD). If this works, you have most likely the same problem as in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-crash-after-boot.528184/

In this case deleting the bad theme(s) should solve the problem. Assuming you have a 3DS with US region this means deleting the folder:

SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<Long ID 0>/<Long ID 1>/extdata/00000000/0000008f

Reactions: BigOnYa

Bill01

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i downloaded theme and i used it and it the 3ds crashes whenever i turn it on

Just happened with me through Anemone.
I figured out how to solve this problem, tho.

With your console turned off:
> Press the power button
> hold both L and R buttons (to open the camera)
Once inside the camera
> Remove your SD card
> Press OK to the message talking about changing where yours new photos going to be saved.
> Press home button
> Wait a bit to load and changeyour theme through the native software to a native one.
> Re-insert your SD card.
> Close the camera.

That's it.
And never use that theme again.

Reactions: anotherthing

ravenrue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

> Press the power button
Once inside the camera
> Remove your SD card
> Press OK to the message talking about changing where yours new photos going to be saved.
> Press home button
> Wait a bit to load and changeyour theme through the native software to a native one.
> Close the camera.

That's it.

That worked for me!!! Thanks!

Elbarto1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can either of you help me out with this? I am having the same issue where im using a large card (512gb) and the themes are not loading. I can get 1 to appear but its gone on reboot. I tried the steps but once i remove the sd card i am unable to access the 3ds normal themes, it just says unable to change theme because sd card not inserted.
Im using a new 2ds xl with a 512gb sd micro. Thanks.

Devs99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case should solve the problem. Assuming you have a 3DS with US region this means deleting the folder:

SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<Long ID 0>/<Long ID 1>/extdata/00000000/0000008f
Heeey! Im not expecting a response since these messages have gotten so old, but yes, your solution worked perfectly and practically saved my 3ds. Thank you. But I was wondering, if this ever happens AGAIN, what should I do? Does another 0000008f file just duplicate itself? Im going under the impression the file is gone for good. But at the same time I dont really know what it's used for. Theme's probably?? I have little to no experience modding or home brewing anything before my 3ds, but this is just a small worry I had after fixing it

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Heeey! Im not expecting a response since these messages have gotten so old, but yes, your solution worked perfectly and practically saved my 3ds. Thank you. But I was wondering, if this ever happens AGAIN, what should I do? Does another 0000008f file just duplicate itself? Im going under the impression the file is gone for good. But at the same time I dont really know what it's used for. Theme's probably?? I have little to no experience modding or home brewing anything before my 3ds, but this is just a small worry I had after fixing it
Why don't you expect a reply?
If you click on my profile/post history, you'll see that I'm still active and not answering wouldn't be very polite.

Normally you should avoid reviving old topics ("necrobumping"). I hope it is okay for the moderators this time as your question does add a bit to the earlier posts.
The folder contains extdata from Home Menu, where "extdata" on 3DS just means anything a title saves to SD. Some games use extdata in addition to their normal save. In case the theme, which is part of Home Menu extdata, is corrupted or bad, removing the complete folder forces the creation of new, empty Home Menu data.
This should not happen unless using a bad theme, but if it does, this is nothing too bad. Occasionally such a problem can occur without modifying the console.

In case you encounter any problems in the future, either post into the 3DS NOOB PARADISE thread, or create your own one for special or more severe problems.

Good luck and have fun!

Shadow_ZacNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good morning ! I have a problem with the top left button (themes)
which when I press it crashes the console.
Information about my console:
2ds; Luma3ds boot9strap;godmode9.
And last big information on my console:
I bought an SD card that I had to format then reinstall from my computer the old applications.
Help me please .

jayhasgoneferal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

> Press the power button
Once inside the camera
> Remove your SD card
> Press home button
> Close the camera.

That's it.
Bill I cannot express my damn thanks to you enough. A badly made Themeplaza theme's BGM froze my 3DS every startup and I seriously thought it was bricked. I seriously thought your idea was a bit far fetched but then I tried it and it actually worked. You're the MVP my man.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k