Hacking Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disregarding EVERYTHING else that's been said in this thread, I'm just gonna argue everyone saying stuff about how there's gotta be drivers made for the Switch for Android and that there's no use for it and yadda yadda.
Clearly people want to do it be it for the novelty or maybe they're really fucking poor or even kids with crappy phones that can't get a tablet or want to utilize the hardware in a different way. The Switch has things that Android phones and tablets don't usually have and that's TV out. Plus the joy-con (while needing drivers) would be great with it.

Also, the Switch is using off the shelf parts for Christ's sake. Any worries about not having drivers are kind of unfounded considering the Switch is QUITE LITERALLY a downclocked Nvidia Shield TV with a screen and battery as far as hardware goes. And also said on the switch's security presentation, the Tegra X1 has a devkit of it's own - the Jetsom - and that actually contributed to cracking the Switch. It also is used for writing code like Android OSes and programs for it. People REALLY don't seem to know just HOW not unique the Switch really is.
Firstly, SoC does not make up the entire system. There are other hardware differentiations that would make it impossible to simply plop over android. But it's similar enough where it would likely be fairly easy to get working.
It would be like saying any phone with a specific snapdragon could run the same firmware. They can't due to other hardware variations outside of that chip.
Also I haven't really seen anyone saying it's impossible, rather most are saying there really is no point.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: JoelLouviere

SarCATstic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disregarding EVERYTHING else that's been said in this thread, I'm just gonna argue everyone saying stuff about how there's gotta be drivers made for the Switch for Android and that there's no use for it and yadda yadda.
Clearly people want to do it be it for the novelty or maybe they're really fucking poor or even kids with crappy phones that can't get a tablet or want to utilize the hardware in a different way. The Switch has things that Android phones and tablets don't usually have and that's TV out. Plus the joy-con (while needing drivers) would be great with it.

Also, the Switch is using off the shelf parts for Christ's sake. Any worries about not having drivers are kind of unfounded considering the Switch is QUITE LITERALLY a downclocked Nvidia Shield TV with a screen and battery as far as hardware goes. And also said on the switch's security presentation, the Tegra X1 has a devkit of it's own - the Jetsom - and that actually contributed to cracking the Switch. It also is used for writing code like Android OSes and programs for it. People REALLY don't seem to know just HOW not unique the Switch really is.

Secondly (continuing TheCyberQuake's post) If you're really poor then how the fuck would you get a Switch? If you're poor and managed to get $300 dollars it would make more sense to get a phone than a video game console (if of course, it's for a child or something)

Call me an idiot if you want but I just don't get why you'd get a video game console over a phone, especially if the phone would be more useful, plus, it would already have android built into it

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
One more reason that would speak for it - having a device to play Android Games on, with usability thats actually fine (for games that do have controller support).

There are basically a few points that make the Switch interesting as "tablet".

1st - the formfactor combined with a controller
2nd - the formfactor/size for a tablet (bigger than your phone - but not so big it becomes cumbersome to use in a "non dedicated way")
3rd - the formfactor/performance package (great for any kind of games - pretty much regardless of the plattform)
4th - the "serves multiple uscases" model, because it can be docked -
5th - because it can be used docked - with the controllers removed, charging the thing isnt something that feels like a "task", and you'll be ready to go in some fashion most of the time.

The more versatile this thing becomes the more it profits from other synergy effects. Its pretty unique that way. :)

For example I bet - that Kodi will be a huge usecase on the switch, once ported (Android or not), simply because of its flexibility to become portable from one minute to the other - and on the other hand being performant enough to drive your living room entertainment needs. :)

If it ever becomes your entertainment hub, controlling other devices - or do spotify streaming from the switch becomes more useful...

I think you are underestimating the potential of the switch if you are thinking about it just behaving as a gaming system. :)

edit: The other way to think about this would be - that people use dedicated tablet devices to control, some aspects of their homes (and be it even music streaming, if they are not into the "Alexa lifestyle") - the switch would be in a place where it could take over that role, and act as your multimedia player, and as a portable media player and as a gaming system at the same time.

It would actually be the first tablet where it would make sense for me to actually use it - as a tablet.. :) (I'm not big into the touchy, swipey stuff.. ;) ) But then, I'd probably need root support, and maybe even xposed to make it work in all usecases I can think of today. :)

Last edited by notimp,

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To everyone who says "Just get a phone": There is no phone or tablet right now which can play the Tegra X1 exclusive games (like "Metal Gear Solid 3", "Zelda: Skyward sword etc.") because the only System with a Tegra X1 chip is only a stationary console (Shield TV) and the Switch.

EvilG31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Same "off the shelf" SOC doesn't mean everything on the board is identical:
https://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/[email protected]

Now... for those of you coming up with all these BS reasons why the Switch cant handle Android... You guys do know that the Switch is just a Shield TV with an extra gig of RAM, right?! Sure I'm making it sound simple but the damn SOC is exactly the same as the Shield TV. A port is not impossible. My concern is that I was told by another forum member, Nintendo did a slight modification to the HDMI out so we might not be able to get 4K Netflix, YouTube and KODI.

YOU take the first step toward porting the kernel then. I don't understand the HUR-DUR do it for me mentality people come here with.

EvilG31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Same "off the shelf" SOC doesn't mean everything on the board is identical:
https://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/[email protected]

Now... for those of you coming up with all these BS reasons why the Switch cant handle Android... You guys do know that the Switch is just a Shield TV with an extra gig of RAM, right?! Sure I'm making it sound simple but the damn SOC is exactly the same as the Shield TV. A port is not impossible. My concern is that I was told by another forum member, Nintendo did a slight modification to the HDMI out so we might not be able to get 4K Netflix, YouTube and KODI.

YOU take the first step toward porting the kernel then. I don't understand the HUR-DUR "do it for me" mentality people come here with.

TheKeiron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The people saying it's pointless need to realise that Android OS on the switch wouldn't just open a new catalogue of games; theres comic book readers, music streaming services like Spotify and Google play music, Tasker (complete device automation), hell even photo editors and office apps, the switch would be given a whole new life!

cheesylard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to spend that much effort porting Android to the Switch you might as well port Arch Linux or something, which would be way more useful IMO.

Last edited by cheesylard,
Reactions: Tumoche

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe how small the people saying it's pointless are thinking. Dual boot would open up so many possibilities.

Just imagine if they got the joy cons and dock to work! This thing would be a monster.
Would it be cool? Yes. But a majority of people already own a smartphone which can play a majority of the games on Android. And for us (or at least me) android games aren't worth playing, even if they are free (hence why we buy a dedicated portable). Emulators would run better with a proper homebrew port. If they add android to switch I would definitely be using it because it's cool, but for us it's not really necessary. Especially for me because I have a shield portable. I would rather have the effort put towards other things.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be cool? Yes. But a majority of people already own a smartphone which can play a majority of the games on Android. And for us (or at least me) android games aren't worth playing, even if they are free (hence why we buy a dedicated portable). Emulators would run better with a proper homebrew port. If they add android to switch I would definitely be using it because it's cool, but for us it's not really necessary. Especially for me because I have a shield portable. I would rather have the effort put towards other things.
The Switch has good inputs and seamlessly goes from handheld to TV mode. Yeah you can buy an hdmi cable and a bluetooth controller, but it's a pain. It's not seamless.

What do you mean by "necessary"? Videogames aren't necessary, but they're cool, that's the point. Also, who wants to carry around a Shield nd a Switch?

I think almost nobody cares about Android/iOS games. They suck. That isn't the point.

Reactions: nmkd

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I think almost nobody cares about Android/iOS games. They suck. That isn't the point.
Ah, which group of friends did you copy that opinion from?

- Ittle Dew
- Read only Memories
- Always Sometimes Monsters
- The Room
- Ports from GTA Vice City, to Oddworld Strangers, to Myst
- Regional gems like the Three Investigators series adventures in the german Market
- Oddball concepts of established brands that actually were fun, like Hitman GO
- Lumines
edit:
- The Last Door
-

would be a few games worth playing that come to mind right away. Just because theres a metric ton of crapware and f2p junk out there, doesnt mean, that there arent better games than whatever gets released on the Nintendo eShop these days. :)

Google Play has a discoverability problem for sure - but that beside the point...

The answer is more, that millenials much rather like to download whats popular, than to look for anything thats good on their own - and they dont believe in journalism anymore - so everything they get presented gets to them through PR channels. And their crap filter is based on "feel" - because anything more complicated doesnt work work for them...

Geez... How about you dont trash a plattform or channel, you know nothing about - but what a google algorithm feeds you through some feed? (They are a marketing company, you know....)

"I think almost nobody cares about..." Is what you say if you form an ingroup of morons, that want to live their lifes by popularity and feel. Very popular these days... And even despite the discussion in here, I freaking hate that attitude.

Last edited by notimp,

Blitzur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont' know what the shield tablet is running but it should be easy to port. I would like a full Linux more than an android version but it would just be funny to do because it can be done.
There is more than piracy guys. where is your passion for doing stuff just because its hard! Even tho there is no real reason. Maybe android runs better on it than linux? Android is based to run on mobile. i guess there are some advantages over a normal linux. You could play all your android games on it and even use it as a real tablet! what is bad/wrong about it???

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am also somewhat bemused at the apparent hostility whenever people bring this up. It is just a thing you can do, does not have to be the end goal/finish line, will likely not hamstring development of whatever lazily compiled port you were hoping for (the days of lovingly hand optimised code like we saw on the GBA and a bit of the DS are long gone).

On "it will get emulators normally" then I have to ask for every system you might care about, said emulators have all sorts of nice cheat support, savestates and whatnot right away? Stuff which the android peeps have had several years to both implement and iron out the problems with?

Re: android having no games. I occasionally get shown things on android and whatnot. Many things people would have been delighted to have on the GBA and DS, indeed several things from those have been remade in shinier form.

Re: "no drivers"
It is almost like we have never seen things reverse engineered before?

If you're going to spend that much effort porting Android to the Switch you might as well port Arch Linux or something, which would be way more useful IMO.
Going through the Arch and debian arm repos they certainly have some good stuff, however it is not all the same and thus I am not sure I want to draw an equivalence here.

I can't believe how small the people saying it's pointless are thinking. Dual boot would open up so many possibilities.

Just imagine if they got the joy cons and dock to work! This thing would be a monster.
I reckon people only doing the 3ds have forgotten, or maybe never knew, what it was like to have a device capable of doing all sorts of cool things.

tehrzky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

good news, there no need to argue this anymore because this team is doing their best to port linux/android on switch they believe that switch is a best to have this os (unlike some people here dont appreciate those kind of hack because we have already a smart phone). be proud on the end android or any hacks is a good thing on switch. why stop that? if it will benefit switch console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol