Hacking Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This interests me. I was considering buying a nvidia shield tv as they are top notch media players and would sit as a good emulator machine also. I don't yet own a switch (still enjoying my softmodded wii u), but if the switch could run android tv, similar rom as the nvidia shield tv, which has very similar hardware, I'd buy a switch in a heartbeat.
raspberry pis are cheaper.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raspberry pi can't even come close to the 4k hdr media playback capability of the nvidia shield tv.
4k media playback is fairly easy though. You don't need something high end to do it. The raspberry pi can't but other devices cheaper than nvidia shield probably can. Its only when you start rendering 4k with something like a game that 4k is difficult to do.

JoelLouviere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
4k media playback is fairly easy though. You don't need something high end to do it. The raspberry pi can't but other devices cheaper than nvidia shield probably can. Its only when you start rendering 4k with something like a game that 4k is difficult to do.
honestly I'm pretty sure the Pi 3 is possibly capable but there's definitely a 40 dollar Fire TV stick for you on that 4K video front
whether or not you specifically want to do it on the switch is up to you though

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly I'm pretty sure the Pi 3 is possibly capable but there's definitely a 40 dollar Fire TV stick for you on that 4K video front
whether or not you specifically want to do it on the switch is up to you though
Yeah pi 3 probably could. Haven't looked into if it can even output 4k though. I own one but don't know the full specs of it. I don't want 4k media consumption yet because I have no 4k screens to do it on.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not saying it's not powerful enough to do it. I'm talking about real world 4k hdr media performance. The actual results of exhaustive tests of various file formats, and video/audio streams. Nvidia shield TV is rare in that it can handle everything with flying colours, Dolby atmos, hdr, 4k, 3d frame packing, it's not just the powerful hardware, it's that its software performs so well. Its netflix app fully supports 4k hdr, something many media boxes can't do.

Suffice to say, I'm interested in getting one. I'm also interested in eventually getting a switch. If these two devices could be combined it would be a done deal.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buy a used PC and use as media center... My friend bought a I3 + gtx 1050ti+ 8gb DDR4 full PC for 200eur used and can still play all or almost all games...

I hope Nvidia makes a new shield tablet, because a home console based on android 4 me is pointless, it's far from buying a used cheap PS4 or Xone which have lot better games than any android games out there.

And PS4 4.55 is cracked, I sold my old PS4 on that FW, it was the latest version before the slim for 190eur with a 1TB Seagate hdd and I barely used it.

Last edited by guily6669,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Android OS on Switch is a nonsense.
If emulators are the goal, it would be better to use RetroArch on Switch. As it is optimized for it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-switch.492920/

Using Android as an intermediary for emulation is a waste of resources. Anything else Android related isn't worth enough for it to be ported to Switch, just because Switch doesn't have actual compatibility with it, like some Wii's with NGC games, or PS3 with PS2 games, XBOX One with (some) XBOX 360 games, and so on.

I'd use my 10" tablet instead for playing Android games, and my PSP/PS Vita for retro emulation.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If emulators are the goal, it would be better to use RetroArch on Switch. As it is optimized for it.

Using Android as an intermediary for emulation is a waste of resources. Anything else Android related isn't worth enough for it to be ported to Switch, just because Switch doesn't have actual compatibility with it, like some Wii's with NGC games, or PS3 with PS2 games, XBOX One with (some) XBOX 360 games, and so on.

I'd use my 10" tablet instead for playing Android games, and my PSP/PS Vita for retro emulation.
No, it's not about emulation. I'm in the same boat as you, prefering native Switch emulators than using Android emulators on the Switch.

But there are so many many countless great apps that I would love to have on my Switch.
Of course the amount of crap apps is much higher but it would be fantastic to use apps like Google Play Music, SoloLearn (great app!), Moon Reader+, Keep, Star Wars: Heroes of the Galaxy, One Piece Treasure Cruise, Telegram.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android OS on Switch is a nonsense.......
I don't think so...

If later they could natively run the android version of Nvidia shield TV on the Switch, you also get one of the most powerful android tablet out there...

My friend bought a Asus 8 inch tablet from 2017 for 200eur and the 3d marks is so damn poor with a cheap crap MTK 4 Core 1.3ghz crap SOC in it...

He now bought a recent Lenovo tablet 8 inch for around 140eur and 3D marks is like 50 something points LOL... My old Xperia Z2 makes around 1100 points on the same 3d mark test "slingshot".

Tablets are pretty expensive, and the switch is in promotion at 279.99 eur today here, there isn't a single tablet here anywhere close to its performance and with the gaming list of switch, this would make a hell of a android tablet if they could make it at full performance of the chip.

Not to mention it's well built-in controllers if they could later add the drivers for them on android...

Ps: A hacked switch with dual boot would be epic, making a good performance android tablet and the best portable console with top recent games ever made (switch games + android).

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As pointless as it is, if linux is possible android probably is too.
I still think is not pointless, it's like buying a Nvidia shield tablet for all your android stuff and then also run latest triple A multiplatform top of the line portable games from the switch.

That would remove the need for anyone to buy a android tablet for quite some time...

Reactions: lordelan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

In terms of pure potential then sure. Are the devs there and willing to put the effort in to give us emulators, never mind everything else, anywhere close to that though? We already saw things evaporate for the 3ds and vita, and all the things that caused that have not changed, nor is the switch terribly interesting as a base platform for things.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of pure potential then sure. Are the devs there and willing to put the effort in to give us emulators, never mind everything else, anywhere close to that though? We already saw things evaporate for the 3ds and vita, and all the things that caused that have not changed, nor is the switch terribly interesting as a base platform for things.
Actually I would at least say switch is a much more interesting platform than 3ds and vita. Wouldn't be surprised if devs were more interested in optimizing emulators for the switch than they were for the 3ds and vita.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Detachable controllers, more powerful hardware, multiplayer on one system, easily dockable to TV, just to name a few
Oh and usb device support
Detachable controllers are a gimmic you don't really need, smartphones are equally or more powerful, multiplayer on one system is no argument to develop for it (multiplayer that require more systems = more sales), the TV dock is a gimmic you don't really need and which is possible with smartphones, too.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Detachable controllers are a gimmic you don't really need, smartphones are equally or more powerful, multiplayer on one system is no argument to develop for it (multiplayer that require more systems = more sales), the TV dock is a gimmic you don't really need and which is possible with smartphones, too.

Detachable controllers are not a gimmick, and make it easy for the system to go from handheld to tabletop/TV. Can't play on a TV or a tabletop with other people with a 3ds/vita, and you have to carry around a controller for a phone. Along with that most phones are lacking in the gpu department which is why the switch can play games that most modern phones couldn't handle. Homebrew devs don't benefit from console sales, so your multiplayer point makes no sense. Multiple emulators already support multiplayer as well, so no real reason it couldn't work on switch.
And unless you buy a phone with usb c, most recent phones can't output to hdmi, and pushing to TV with wireless streaming introduces lag that makes gaming impossible. So my dock point is also valid seemshow you cant play 3ds on TV easily either.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You need to go out and make friends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end