1. Gronbar

Gronbar Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Hi, can someone hint me with ways to use Android on Switch now? Emulation is better than in original Switch software? Wi-Fi are good enough for game stream (PC, PS4 or Cloud). Android are rensponsive enough for dialy use like tablet (web browsing, Youtube, Netflix, Mail). Joy cons are recognized connected directly to Switch? Mouse and Keyboard works? And TV mode? What max resolution of playback video in TV mode?

Also can i use existing SD card with 16 GB free space?

Last edited by Gronbar, Jan 17, 2021
  2. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    so will these files need to be grabbed off your own shield you own like when you grab bios files for game consoles?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

1. from what I hear retroarch on android is better than the switch HOS version and there are more choices on android for emulation
    2. Android has better apps for streaming too steamlink,moonlight, ps remote paly or GeForce now etc
    3. you can use it for normal things too yes and joy-cons work natively, you connected mouse and keyboard you can use the joycon as a mouse too
    4. haven't tested docked mode yet
    5. 16GB is min space

Last edited by pcwizard7, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Gronbar

Gronbar Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Soo now we waiting for prop Android 10 build?

4. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Emulators depend. Emulators that need more CPU power will run better in HOS usually, emulators that need more GPU power will run better in Android usually.

5. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    tbh, the only emulator I have found working better in HOS is mx4w’s citra(which is yet to be released).
    Dolphin is non existant
    Mupenfz standalone is much better than the retroarch version although a slightly older 3.222 beta seems to run best for android.
    Ps1 emulation supports dynarec on android, & runs through a standalone so no competition really.
    Drastic outperforms MelonDS(although great improvements have been made)
    Redream in general seems better than its counterpart, the fps difference is minor but the compatibility difference is huge.
    PPSSPP is pretty close, but compatibility is better on android.
    As for the 16bit consoles & lower, for the most part they can run well enough on both so I wont go into detail.
    Snes & Nes online does have some cool features that are definately unavailable on android, but otherwise its not missing much really.

6. SL4Y3R

SL4Y3R Newbie
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Hi guys, any way to install Reboot to payload in Android 10?
    I have tried with a flash zip from the xda page but it has not worked for me, it must be because it was for lineageOS 15

7. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    reboot2payload works 100% on 10 without having to flash anything else. Flashing any 8.1 zips will just break things

8. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Is there an up to date tutorial on installing the latest/better version of Android? I bought a new Switch and want to use my banned one as an android tablet/retro game machine only and I only find old or inconsistent guides.

9. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Android Q currently has to be built yourself to actually use the latest unofficial version with its current fixes. But release is quite close since a few of the things holding it back have been done. The dev has said near the end of this month! Im excited to see it release! I will to my own builds regardless of release but others will be able to experience the fixed version with OTA updates with other fixes as well!

hippy dave and yadspi like this.
  10. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    With the way the new boot files are arranged, I imagine updating will be fairly straight forward without affecting the horizon or data partitions.
    Is their any point compiling your own once the official release has launched? I imagine when the github is uodated, they will probably patch their official boot files aswell.

11. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If you have custom patches. Say overclocking or signature spoofing. Or really any changes that you prefer like joycon button mapping then yes. I will continue building my own until it breaks

12. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Enable developer options, turn on advanced reboot

13. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Fair enough.
    I would imagine though that overclocking will be available though through magisk.
    Oreo had the battery profiles, but programs like kernal tweaker would let you do as such.
    With root im pretty sure you could alter joycons through a text file that has configurations for the joycons aswell as a bunch of 3rd party controllers.
    Using apps like total commander and explore.
    They only downside with overclocking might be that overclocking might not reach 2k.

Last edited by Basketto, Jan 19, 2021
  14. TheXpertXD

TheXpertXD Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Anyone test out Dolphin on the current builds (Standalone/Retroarch)? I think I tested it a little bit back when I had Oreo, but there were some issues here and there and ended up deleting android. I've got pretty much all the emulation I need on HOS, but if Q can make my GCN dreams come true that would be epic

15. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    overclocking above the already available performance mode will not be available without a custom kernel. You can go to 1750mhz (1.75ghz) and the base clock seems to be 1400mhz currently on latest builds.
    My custom kernel has 2091mhz (2.09ghz) and thats the highest I push my switch on android. It helps a lot with emulation, especially with GC.
    and with custom patches you dont have to edit anything once you flash it. I even have the boot.img rmagisk patched before I even boot. All during the building process

TheXpertXD and Basketto like this.
  16. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    seems a lot more stable but does freeze-up sometimes but I think this is because of the read/write speed of the sd card. a ScanDisk extreme card would improve this. the i/o throughput is better

17. miguelel3men2

miguelel3men2 Newbie
    Newcomer

Dominican Republic
    Can you share the files for have overclock 2.09?

18. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I like one for Overclock up to sys-clk standards 1.75 Ghz

19. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Colombia
    It really is a bit more complicated in Android 10, if it is not changing the coreboot, they force you to recompile all the code to modify a few internal files

in this sense it would be more feasible to wait for a file to flash in recovery

miguelel3men2 likes this.
  20. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I would strongly recommend not using 2.09GHz (even 1.78GHz is gross).

TheXpertXD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Switchroot, Android, Build