1. 15,639

Front-page
    analogue pocket.jpg

Analogue's revival of the GameBoy through its own hardware is happening soon. The company announced today the date when pre-orders go live as well as additional details. If you haven't heard of the Analogue Pocket, know that it is a handheld that plays Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance cartridges. With adapters, it is also able to play game carts from other handheld systems such as the Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color and Atari Lynx.

Sold separately is the Analogue Dock which supports up to 4 controllers and allows controller connection via Bluetooth, 2.4g and wired USB. (you read that right, it supports 2.4g in addition to Bluetooth).

Custom games can also be created for the Pocket with GB Studio without prior programming knowledge. Games created with GB Studio are generated in the proprietary .pocket files and are playable off the SD card. Additionally, with its Nanoloop digital audio workstation, owners of the Pocket can also create their own music.

Pre-orders open on August 3rd, with the Analogue Pocket price at $199.99 and the Analogue Dock at an additional $99.99.

:arrow: Pre-order link
    :arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

2. Discussion (174 replies)

3. Sansgaming420

Sansgaming420 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    This is cool, but very niche. Who actually would use this over a hacked vita or 3ds?

4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    I actually thought it was just a FPGA-Game Boy from the article I saw earlier.

Still, I have a PSPGo and a 3DS, and a Switch to play these portably on, not to mention the biggest Chad of them all, my PC!

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    this thing is still happening? :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jul 27, 2020
    StrayGuitarist and The_Provider like this.
  6. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Hat Kid

Brazil
  7. pikpol

pikpol GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I think it's a really interesting device. Especially the screen and all the modes it comes with are worth looking into.
    But 199 is a bit much for a retro system I think.
    If this would play original games, as in you could make new games for it, then I would seriously consider this.
    Right now it is just too expensive. And they definitely won't lower the price.

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    All in the name of "accuracy."

At least there's nothing about emulating the movement of electrons in the marketing material! XD

9. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    $100 to $200 my phone can do this or my 3DS.. Vita or even probably my TV.... Nah to pricey for me but they do look cool!

10. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The price is too high, not sure if it cost a lot to make this and that is the reason for the price but if it doesn’t cost too much, $60 maybe for the system would have been reasonable. The dock is really over priced.

Last edited by fst312, Jul 27, 2020
  11. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Gamer Professional Deluxe
    Supervisor

Croatia
    Damn looks nice but the price is insane even for someone as fabulously wealthy as me! :hateit:

12. Scarlet

Scarlet Pretty Pretty Princess
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Actually that is one thing they advertise on the site.
    So there is that.

For me, even if the price is reaaaaaally steep, especially if you factor in the $99 HDMI dock, I'm still really interested. Gonna be a week of deep contemplation for sure.

13. pikpol

pikpol GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I don't want to make game boy games. I want to make original Analogue Pocket games.
    GB Studio is just a Game Boy game maker. (I say just, but it is actually a nice and advanced tool for people who don't want to code, but do want to make game boy games)

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  14. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    No, thanks. I can get an Android phone cheaper than that and run any portable and home consoles for Android. The fancy design is not worth the money they ask for. I'd rather play my games on the original GB/GB Pocket/GBC. :rofl:

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  15. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    Thats emulation

This is not.

16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I don't understand, it says it supports 4 players. But how? Unless is link cable games like super mario advance games (Which is just 4 player mario bros classic) you still need link cable. It says it uses 4 player LOCALLY with 4 controllers. None of the supported games work that way. :blink:

StrayGuitarist and Lotoonlink like this.
  17. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    I know, but still... It's 3 times the price of the original GB... And it's not from Nintendo.

18. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Hat Kid

Brazil
    So what?
    It's not like GB emulation is bad or anything.

AlexMCS, StrayGuitarist and tfocosta like this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Some people just prefer to not sue emulation for whatever reason. (Different for everyone )

I’m one of those for example. If I had the opportunity to play a game via normal means opposed to emulation I will always choose that

20. Darklinkreturns

Darklinkreturns GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A modded GBA can pretty easily end up costing about that much, depending on how all out you go with it, and still not have the functionality this thing offers. I'm definitely gonna try for a preorder.

Red771, zxr750j, Deleted User and 3 others like this.
  21. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

United States
    The price probably makes sense. They have to be aware of the alternatives. I cannot picture 4 people using this.

Subtle Demise likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Analogue, Pocket, orders