Analogue Pocket pre-orders open next month

analogue pocket.jpg

Analogue's revival of the GameBoy through its own hardware is happening soon. The company announced today the date when pre-orders go live as well as additional details. If you haven't heard of the Analogue Pocket, know that it is a handheld that plays Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance cartridges. With adapters, it is also able to play game carts from other handheld systems such as the Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color and Atari Lynx.

Sold separately is the Analogue Dock which supports up to 4 controllers and allows controller connection via Bluetooth, 2.4g and wired USB. (you read that right, it supports 2.4g in addition to Bluetooth).

Custom games can also be created for the Pocket with GB Studio without prior programming knowledge. Games created with GB Studio are generated in the proprietary .pocket files and are playable off the SD card. Additionally, with its Nanoloop digital audio workstation, owners of the Pocket can also create their own music.

Pre-orders open on August 3rd, with the Analogue Pocket price at $199.99 and the Analogue Dock at an additional $99.99.

:arrow: Pre-order link
:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you DIY, it's definitely less. But it depends on what you are up to and are looking for. :D

Let us know if it's worth it then! :yay:
Nope. $62 dollars for a IPS screen upgrade, $40 for the Li-Ion USB-C rechargable battery mod, ~$13 for replacement buttons, silicone pads, and a glass screen lens, ~$24 for the GBAmp3 speaker mod, $30 for the GBAccelerator mod, and about $10 for a replacement shell. Altogether that's $179(before shipping and taxes) and that's assuming you already have a GBA to modify and you don't need to purchase one, and already have access to a soldering iron, solder, flux, etc. And all in all, you're still walking away with a device with more limited functionality, a lesser screen, and worse audio.

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Nope. $62 dollars for a IPS screen upgrade, $40 for the Li-Ion USB-C rechargable battery mod, ~$13 for replacement buttons, silicone pads, and a glass screen lens, ~$24 for the GBAmp3 speaker mod, $30 for the GBAccelerator mod, and about $10 for a replacement shell. Altogether that's $179(before shipping and taxes) and that's assuming you already have a GBA to modify and you don't need to purchase one, and already have access to a soldering iron, solder, flux, etc. And all in all, you're still walking away with a device with more limited functionality, a lesser screen, and worse audio.

Screen mod, 37 dollars on Aliexpress with free shipping (and that's without coupons). Don't need any other fancy mods, pretty cheap to me.

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screen mod, 37 dollars on Aliexpress with free shipping (and that's without coupons). Don't need any other fancy mods, pretty cheap to me.
those screen mods aren't as good as the funnyplaying kit, hence the lower price. If you don't want anything better than just a base GBA, then obviously this device isn't for you...

Last edited by Darklinkreturns,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phones are terrible for emulation of anything but turn-based RPG's. Even playing Mario is horrific with buttons on display. There's several cheap $30 devices made specifically for GBC emulation. Even a PSP is pretty cheap and can do the job.

I always use my bluetooth controller I don't use those shitty touch pads.

They need to change the concave buttons for convex + slash the price to customers in half. They still have to keep the materials and quality, everything else of the device the same.

$200 is pretty steep you can buy a switch lite for that

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always use my bluetooth controller I don't use those shitty touch pads.

$200 is pretty steep you can buy a switch lite for that
200 bucks is VERY steep pal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

whats the use of microSD with this if you can't put ROMS to play with.
who said you cant?

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing is hilarious. If it wasn't artificially crippled in software (i.e. could actually play and dump roms off the SD out of the box) I could almost see it.

Is there even any proof the cycle timings are any more accurate than the most accurate GB/C emulator?

Interestingly they seem to give developers the beefier FPGA to play with for 3rd party cores (the Cyclone V, because while unspecified, the Cyclone 10 in this sure as hell ain't the Cyclone 10 GX at this price)

Last edited by bobmcjr,
Reactions: CrossOut
D

Deleted User

199 would be justified if it was fpga, if you are going to emulate you can get a psp, vita, 3ds or others + a gameboy cartridge ripper, should you care about using original carts, for way less than 199 edit: re-read and it's actually fpga, two in fact, it's reasonable if you are a purist edit 2: the dock only has hdmi lmao

Last edited by ,

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
199 would be justified if it was fpga, if you are going to emulate you can get a psp, vita, 3ds or others + a gameboy cartridge ripper, should you care about using original carts, for way less than 199 edit: re-read and it's actually fpga, two in fact, it's reasonable if you are a purist edit 2: the dock only has hdmi lmao
The dock has HDMI, Bluetooth, and 2x USB.

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it possible to boot roms via microsd with some flashcards(microsd slot) or only legit cartridges? Not that I dont own them,. just wondering.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This is cool, but very niche. Who actually would use this over a hacked vita or 3ds?
Purists and enthusiasts. Analogue NT (their aftermarket NES/Famiclone) sold pretty well despite high price and abundance of NES emulators, so the audience is certainly there, however niche it may be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-