1. Jawman

OP Jawman Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I recently got a 16GB MicroSD for my N3DSXL to have more space for games and CFW data. I am pretty much all set to start setting it up.

...however, the 3DS Hacks guide says that the SD card needs to be MBR, but because I have a Mac I can't easily check this.

I do have BootCamp installed, but whenever i tried to switch it to the right disk format, this is pretty much what happened:

>puts SD in laptop
    >opens Disk Management
    >opens Properties on the SD card
    >sees nothing there
    >clicks Populate
    >says GPT
    >backs up data
    >deletes volume
    >finds no Convert to MBR button

Any tips?

(Also, on my Mac it says that the card is FAT32. Is this an equivalent to MBR/GPT or something else?)

2. TurdPooCharger

United States
    1. Install MiniTool Partition Wizard free edition on Windows boot camp.
    2. Left click yellow highlight the SD drive, and select Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk on the left side menu bar.
    3. If need be, reformat the card in FAT32 and 32 KB cluster size either in Windows File Explorer, guiformat, MiniTool Partition Wizard, or SD Memory Card Formatter
    4. (Highly Recommended) Check your cards for defects and forgery using H2testw with a full write + verify test.
    5. (Of possible interest) Not related to FAT32 or SD card, but for reference. Consider Tuxera for NTFS compatibility in Mac OS.

Edit - FAT32 is not the equivalent as MBR or GPT.

Let's say FAT32 is something like written English. MBR is the just a way to write it in plain, ol' regular letters. GPT is fancy cursive where people are less likely to know how to read it. Both ways are grammatically correct, but one is generally preferred over the other for everyday usage.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Jun 24, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - issue,