An introduction an a question

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Omrip30, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Omrip30
    OP

Omrip30 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2014
    Iceland
    Haifa, Israel
    Hi everyone :)
    Nice to meet you all!
    I am a professional programmer and also a beginner in writing emulators.
    I am interested in writing a gba emulator for nds using the r4 cart.
    In previous discussions I read that the common opinion is that this is not possible.
    Is that true? What are your opinions?
    Thanks!

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Not possible to have something that approaches useful on lots of games, and for the effort you might as well just get a flash cart or one of the wide array of more powerful devices to emulate that on instead, potentially including something like an iplayer/ISMM/DSTwo if you are especially attached to the idea of using "official" screens or official button layouts.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbaemu4ds-gba-emulator-for-ds-i-dsi-entry.281715/ is considered about as good as general emulation in a general/passive DS slot device will get. You might be able to get somewhere if you went game specific or game specific hacks but again you are back at the just buy a flash cart/more powerful device thing.

It would probably be a good thought exercise as you try to think through what can be dynamically recompiled, what just needs a helper layer and what needs full emulation.

3. Omrip30
    OP

Omrip30 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2014
    Iceland
    Haifa, Israel
    Thanks for the answer and the information,
    So you are saying that basically this is impossible because of the slow hardware of the ds?
    I've seen a nice snes emulator for the ds, isnt the snes as powerfull as the gba?(I might be talking nonsense here..)
    Thanks !

4. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile

You may want to check https://github.com/ichfly/gbaemu4DS/blob/master/hyperspeedup/code_container/

5. Omrip30
    OP

Omrip30 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2014
    Iceland
    Haifa, Israel
    Forget what I said, I Just checked the spec of the snes and gba ,
    And the gba is more powerful..
    I think that I'll try to emulate the snes. This is a plausible task and currently the best emulator is far
    From perfect so the challange is there :)