OP
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Hey folks.

The title says "all". I played a bit mkwii today. And in the middle of the race, I got an "An error occurred" error. My Wii told me to remove the game disc and turn off the console. This error is completely new to me. Is there a fix for that? Is my disc drive broken or just the disc? The thing is, my disc has scratches because I bought it used via eBay a few years ago.

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is cleaning the drive also an option?
Hmm.. depends, but i suggest cleaning the disc with a soft fabric first, and ripping it with Imgburn, if there's data missing from it or the scratches are deep inside the disc, that's probably why it's giving you the error. The rip image should be complete, and if it errors out during ripping or the final iso image is small than how its supposed to be, then it's faulty, you can also check the hash against the Redump database to be sure.
About cleaning the disc drive, only if you encounter the error with other discs, if not there shouldn't be a need, unless you want to go the extra mile with this..

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm.. depends, but i suggest cleaning the disc with a soft fabric first, and ripping it with Imgburn, if there's data missing from it or the scratches are deep inside the disc, that's probably why it's giving you the error.
Is this at mistake or do you know something very special? Didn't you mean ripping the disc with Cleanrip right on the Wii? Serious question: Did you manage to convince a PC drive to simply dump Wii/GC discs without the need of the Rawdump/Friidump method?
=============

That's weird. I played with this disc the last few years and never had this issue. The good thing is, as long as it just the disc, I can use my second one. But I try cleaning it.
Neither the laser nor the disc are getting any better.
I agree with @CoolMe -- dump the disc completely. Clean disc and/or lens in case of more errors.

Console drives are -- my experience -- not very fault tolerant and not good at reading scratched discs. While the Wii/GC consoles failed to dump a scratched Resident Evil disc, the old LG drive had no problem whatsoever getting the full, checksum verified image with Rawdump.

Resurfacing might be an option if a specific disc shows errors regularly. Recently successfully recovered a PC game CD with ultra-fine sandpaper (3000 → 5000 → 7000 → 10000 → car polish). The disc isn't as shiny as a new disc, even with wax, but the computer reads it at full speed (after skipping over the %§&$% SafeDisc errors).
Since this isn't without risks, I would say resurfacing is "ultima ratio"

• Love
Reactions: BaamAlex

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this at mistake or do you know something very special? Didn't you mean ripping the disc with Cleanrip right on the Wii? Serious question: Did you manage to convince a PC drive to simply dump Wii/GC discs without the need of the Rawdump/Friidump method?
First, i have no experience with either Cleanrip or Rawdump/Friidump, though i've heard about Cleanrip and that it's for ripping Wii/GC games, but i couldn't recommend it since i haven't used it myself..
As for Imgburn, i assumed Wii discs are like any other disc based games like PS2, PS1, Xbox, X360 etc. And with those you can rip the iso image with Imgburn, and if there's an error in the ripping process or the end result is not how it should be (small iso), you'd know the disc is either scratched, faulty, corrupt etc.
And if it gives you a complete iso image, you'd know if you open it with a tool like PowerIso it'll show the capacity and it won't display an error saying it's incomplete.
You can also check the checksum of the iso with the same release/version as your disc on the database, but that's a little more pedantic, but it's worth if you want to know if the disc you just bought for $$ is complete or not.

Now i assumed for Wii games it should be the same, unless there's some anti-piracy protection measure that prevents it from doing so with conventional ripping methods. I haven't ripped any Wii games personally but i did with discs for the systems i mentioned above. Cheers!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First, i have no experience with either Cleanrip or Rawdump/Friidump, though i've heard about Cleanrip and that it's for ripping Wii/GC games, but i couldn't recommend it since i haven't used it myself..
As for Imgburn, i assumed Wii discs are like any other disc based games like PS2, PS1, Xbox, X360 etc. And with those you can rip the iso image with Imgburn, and if there's an error in the ripping process or the end result is not how it should be (small iso), you'd know the disc is either scratched, faulty, corrupt etc.
And if it gives you a complete iso image, you'd know if you open it with a tool like PowerIso it'll show the capacity and it won't display an error saying it's incomplete.
You can also check the checksum of the iso with the same release/version as your disc on the database, but that's a little more pedantic, but it's worth if you want to know if the disc you just bought for $$ is complete or not.

Now i assumed for Wii games it should be the same, unless there's some anti-piracy protection measure that prevents it from doing so with conventional ripping methods. I haven't ripped any Wii games personally but i did with discs for the systems i mentioned above. Cheers!
I see. I really hoped there was a new method I didn't hear of yet (like CFW for a PC drive). That would indeed be preferred way of dumping discs: Using a full-sized PC drive. Unfortunately Nintendo optical discs are not standard DVD. They are similar and technically the laser/optics of a PC DVD drive are well capable of reading them -- but the drive firmware will reject them because the do not follow the DVD standard.

• Love
Reactions: CoolMe and BaamAlex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.