Gaming An error has occurred - Could Installing Home brew help fix this?

DrunkenNinja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
"An error has occurred. Press the eject button, remove the game disk, and turn off the power to the console. Please read the Wii operations manual for further instructions."

The drive is modded with a WiiKey 2 but the Wii is not Hombrewed (It's an older DB2 model).

The majority of information I have read on this subject recommends swapping out the Laser, or bending the clips at the front of the drive tray (these were straight and the disc moved freely) so I was just about to order one when I realized I had a fully functional Wii in the closet, so I basically traded parts from a fully functional and tested DB2 drive to find out 100% what the problem is, I have completely stripped down the two drives and swapped parts in and out (inc. the laser which I also POT calibrated), I even de-soldered and re-soldered the motors to check if the Board was at fault.

After 10 Hours working on this I have come to the conclusion that this problem is not related to the Drive, generally the drive spins up with the Laser working, for around 10 - 15 seconds before clicking 4 or 5 times with the error message, sometimes the drive will spin for 1 second then stop.

Not wanting to delve into the main Wii CB, I was ready to scrap it but before doing so I am considering installing Home Brew and Gecko just to see what will happen, I am curious to see if this error will appear with USB loader given that it looks likely the drive is not at fault.

Thanks a lot guys

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes it would fix it.(I mean your wii will be fully functionnal)
It pretty obvious that your modchip is at fault here if your dvd drive is not.
just leave it like this and install a usb loader using modmii

DrunkenNinja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm probably not the best solderer in the world, those huge motor solder blobs are fine but I didn't want to mess something up before I'd run some tests.

Ok I will desolder the "Wii Key 2" ( trim and tape up the ends of the wires - I am worried about desoldering from the board) and Letterbomb that baby, hopefully all will then be good, I will of course post my results.

Thanks again!!!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To throw in my two cents, I have had the same issue only with the Wiikey 1. When the chip went bad every disk I put in did the same thing. GC or Wii, Original or Backup. Lucky for me I had some spares and that fixed everything right up.

Also you should have your Wii softmodded all the emulators alone makes it worth the time :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1