Amiibo functionalities poll (thesis research)

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by benno300, Apr 19, 2016.

?

Are you happy with the amiibo functionalities in the current offering of amiibo

1. Yes

28.0%
  2. No

60.0%
  3. Other (please specify below)

12.0%
  1. benno300
    OP

benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2010
    Netherlands
    Dear all!

After I was very friendly welcomed to ask questions here to help me with my thesis I decided to start off with this question about amiibo. The main aim is to see what Nintendo can improve on its current offering and I would therefore greatly appreciate it if everyone could answer on the poll and optionally explain his/her choice below. I personally think it is very interesting to see how amiibo could be further developed and what the people with real knowledge about video games think about how these products can be improved or made more attractive to use. You guys will be part of this very important phase of my career! I would like to thank you all in advance for your help, I am very excited!

Benno

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Please don't bump threads, people will vote when they get the chance.

Come on, people :angry:

petethepug and zoogie like this.
  3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Personally, I'm happy with what Amiibos offer for now (if by Amiibo, you mean the figures, not the cards).
    I buy Amiibos because I like the character they represent, not because I want an in-game bonus. If I get some bonuses in some games, that's cool, but I won't buy them just for that.

Supster131 and benno300 like this.
  4. benno300
    OP

benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2010
    Netherlands
    I am sorry, I will not do it again. I was just hoping to present some first results soon. Again, thank you for this opportunity.

@TheKawaiiDesu Do you think there is any possibility that future technologies will make amiibo more attractive to you not just as collectibles but also as a product with in game value?

Last edited by benno300, Apr 20, 2016
  5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I got 2 Amiibos atm, Pit n Dark Pit.
    One out of the blister and one still in the blister.

I don't plan on ever using them anyway ;'D

benno300 likes this.
  6. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    @benno300 To be honest, I don't really know.
    For me, Amiibos shouldn't have too much in game value: I don't really like the way they implemented it in Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer and Animal Crossing Amiibo festival, because you need them (all), otherwise you're not getting the full game. And the fact they are physical doesn't help: if you live in the middle of nowhere (like me :P ), or if you need a rare one, it'll be hard to get not just the Amiibo, but the full game. For me, the game that has the best balanced Amiibo bonuses is Splatoon; you get a few bonus stages, a bit of "collector" content, but nothing major, and the game is totally enjoyable without them.
    So as they are right now, I don't think I will ever buy them just for the in-game content, but if future technologies (VR? 3D printing?) makes them (or their future forms) easier to get, then maybe.

KingVamp likes this.
  7. benno300
    OP

benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2010
    Netherlands
    I see, thank you very much for your input! I really appreciate it.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    The fact they are (nicely detailed) gaming-themed figurines is all the functionality I need from them.

TheKawaiiDesu and Tomato Hentai like this.
  9. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I don't think I'll ever purchase one. They just don't do enough for me.

cearp likes this.
  10. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    they should have more AI stuff, like depending if they have cold the guy can slide in games, or if they have heat they can shrine other parts, or a wireless card so you can connect the thing to a router and use an interface program to talk to him (like befriend him through those silly facebook-like games) and makes them happier, a la pokemon white/black wifi stuff, or even add them streetpass functionality , imagine how many streetpass (cash nintendo would print) if those things could have streetpass on its own

Last edited by Coto, Apr 22, 2016
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    They don't really offer much bonus content in games. This is both a good and a bad thing.
    It's a good thing in that you don't feel pressured into buying Amiibos to get the most out of your games.
    However, if you actually buy Amiibos you might be disappointed at how little extra content they give you.
    Overall, I wish they offered more bonus content with Amiibos, and give them value as a way to unlock DLC even for those who are not interested in collecting them as figurines. Plus, more content in games is always good. At the same time I don't want half the game locked behind an Amiibo paywall like Mario Party 10 does.

That being said I'm not a big fan of Amiibos but I would buy a few if they actually unlocked a decent amount of content combined across all the popular games and every Amiibo was compatible with every game that makes use of the feature (with some exceptions, like it wouldn't make sense for a Mario amiibo to be compatible with TPHD)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Apr 22, 2016
  12. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    I'm pretty satisfied with it for the most part. I wish it had a way to store more than one profile on the amiibo. I think they are cool and nice to look at but I really don't want to have multiple of the same ones everywhere. I gotta a few different games that I use my amiibos for.

I ended up getting an amiiqo and thats pretty helpful for making backups of my profiles.

13. benno300
    OP

benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2010
    Netherlands
    Amazing responses with a lot of useful information, thank you all so much for answering!

TheKawaiiDesu and MajinCubyan like this.
  14. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Glad to help! :D

15. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Do you like work at Nintendo or something? You asked a similar question on here but related to Nintendos new Mobile system moving in,

Anyways not trying to be rude but whatever your working on may be leading somewhere for Nintendos success being driven so I will start how I feel Amiibo is like.

I wasn't to excited when Amiibo had first released. Granite I was amazed by some Youtubers using Amiibos, but after away I didin't really see a point unless you wanted cosmetic changes to your character in a game for a Vanilla Wii U, or stats changes on Smash Bros Brawl

And the fact some are being sold for about $9.99 USD, $59.99 USD on EBay is just crazy. Just seeing the first list I was really really surprised how much these were worth...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ami...ved=0ahUKEwjalKOHic3MAhWBeyYKHYzhAckQ_AUIBygC

Unless you were extremely rich, or had a lot of money lying around your home. I doubt anyone would want these. Nintendo try's to provide nice services, and they do. But I don't want to pay $15 USD just to buy a Wii U Fit Trainner for Super Smash Bros Brawl. When I eventually buy the game to recieve benifits.

"Hey guys maybe we will make more sells if we make a figurine for Super smash bros Brawl, and price things really high. That way we can prepare for the Nintendo NX."

I actually had a lot of hope that these would be really good, cheap items that are about $3.00 - $9.99 somewhere around that. But until today I was shocked seeing how much they were...

Not everyone is rich Nintendo, and the only reason I see the Amiibo's highly priced is becuase they are very highly detailed. Take Donkey Kong for instance. It costs $20.00 USD to buy one...

https://www.google.com/search?clien....1c.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.4.351.yY2Xq5QUwBk

16. benno300
    OP

benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2010
    Netherlands
    Thank you for answering @petethepug, I am not really working at Nintendo but I am doing my thesis in cooperation with Nintendo of Europe. I am not too sure if all my recommendations will be taken into account but I am doing my best to include all the opinions here! :)

17. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Oh cool.
    Well um glad I could help? :lol:

18. Dorimori

Dorimori professional lurker

Mar 17, 2016
    United States
    the closet
    Nope. All they do is sit on my shelf, only useful in Smash.