American Sniper

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else seen this yet? I just got out of it, and I've just got to tell you.

I have never been more emotionally invested in a movie like that before. I was happy, I was angered, I was disgusted, I was scared, my adrenaline pumped, and I cried by the time that movie finished.

If you ever get the opportunity, see this movie. I'll warn you that it is graphic, there are gut twisting scenes, scenes that will horrify you, but it's so goddamn real that it hits right home and makes the movie almost perfect.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Various critics that I usually find myself reasonably well aligned with said basically the opposite, at least as far as emotional investment goes (technically well made but no attachment to the characters). Might grab it though as I have not seen a decent sniper film in a while.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
personally I thought the movie was designed to trivialize what a sniper is, he killed without mercy, there was never any repercussions bar a little scene with a dog, ok he did seem pretty distant to the world around him towards the end but it doesn't seem to grasp the whole concept of what the movie was trying to express. I have to agree with alot of opinions i've read, it does seem like a huge poster campaign for the US Army. It could of done alot better by going into PTSD a little more than giving it a few minutes here and there. Even the guys who lost legs seemed happy to of given up their limbs for their country.

The guy in real life was a sick animal who had become so detached by what he done that he saw it as a sport and was even quoted as saying that killing people was fun. War should never be called fun, its a necessary evil sometimes but still a form of evil

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally I thought the movie was designed to trivialize what a sniper is, he killed without mercy, there was never any repercussions bar a little scene with a dog, ok he did seem pretty distant to the world around him towards the end but it doesn't seem to grasp the whole concept of what the movie was trying to express. I have to agree with alot of opinions i've read, it does seem like a huge poster campaign for the US Army. It could of done alot better by going into PTSD a little more than giving it a few minutes here and there. Even the guys who lost legs seemed happy to of given up their limbs for their country.

The guy in real life was a sick animal who had become so detached by what he done that he saw it as a sport and was even quoted as saying that killing people was fun. War should never be called fun, its a necessary evil sometimes but still a form of evil
That's why I think people like it because the main character is either a) a hero who served his country and protected us or b) a sick man who killed innocent people needlessly

Personally I agree with b but anyways....

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Last time I paused the movie around 45m-1hr but I'm planning on watching it again from start to finish and considering I put myself through that poor excuse of a 'film' (boring, tasteless, uninteresting, mediocre acting and it was too god damn long) that was Boyhood which lasted 2h45m then I'll get through this.

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wasn't a fan of this movie. I found it way too long and it dragged on. I turned it off 3/4 into it. The trailer made me so hyped to see it.

I'm probably retarded since I liked Lone Survivor more than American Sniper.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was okay. My biggest problem with it is that I don't feel that it every really sold Chris Kyle or anyone else as characters. It felt less like the movie was telling the story of this man's life and more like it was summarizing it. "This happened, then that, moving on, no time to waste..."

Also, that fake baby. Goddamn Clint, I know you like to film fast and cheap, but Christ, you don't have to be Ed Wood.

Reactions: chavosaur

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It was okay. My biggest problem with it is that I don't feel that it every really sold Chris Kyle or anyone else as characters. It felt less like the movie was telling the story of this man's life and more like it was summarizing it. "This happened, then that, moving on, no time to waste..."
It's often the case with biographies, where they have a list of key defining moments and events in someone's life they have to go through and it ends up looking like a bullet point presentation.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I liked the movie and also had that tear-jerk moment at the end as I didn't really know much about the guy or what had happened to him.
After looking him up afterwards though and reading a fair bit about him I'm on the fence about how I feel about him. That doesn't effect my rating of the movie though, definitely one of the best for 2014 and one of my favourite Eastwood films.

I think if you go in knowing about the the guy the movie is about then it's going to effect how much the movie appeals to you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...