AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) updated to 1.4.1, now supports Android

AM2R.jpg

The fan-remake of Metroid 2, previously blocked from distribution by Nintendo, has been updated to version 1.4.1 and now includes native Android support.

New additions to the game include a new difficulty level called "Fusion", new enemy types and new log files amongst many other fixes. The game runs on both Windows and Android but be aware the recommended minimum specs for running on Android are a 1.2Ghz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a dedicated GPU.

Changelog:
- Android support.
- Minimum hardware requirements:
- Quad-core 1.2Ghz CPU
- Dedicated GPU
- 2GB RAM
- NOTE: These specs will provide full-speed gameplay almost everywhere, with some slowdowns in non-critial areas with a large amount of objects, such as the main caverns of A2, A3, and A5.

Weaker GPUs may slow down in Fusion mode during X morphing.

- Fusion mode overhaul:
- Added Core-X to some boss fights.
- Updated graphics.
- New sound effects.
- X parasites may now respawn if not picked up.
- Fixed D-pads not working on some controllers.
- Directional buttons can now be rebound for some controllers.
- Changed pickup sounds for Super Missiles, Big Health, Power Bombs, and X parasites.
- Fixed water Blob Thrower dropping ice shards when killed with Speed Booster.
- Pickups (including X) now spawn at center of enemy.
- Changed non-robotic enemy death sound when killed by Screw Attack or Speed Booster.
- Added new Hydro Station background.
- Added unique, randomized heads to Zetas.
- Palette loading has been restructured.
- Palettes and related sprites for Samus and the Metroids are now stored in their respective folders under the mods/palettes folder.
- Tester boss can now play its own music if it exists:
- The song should be called "musTester.ogg" and placed in the main game directory with the rest of the music.
- Suit change animations will now play in Random games when the item is not in a tunnel or in the air.
- A little bird told me some hidden message should now unlock more reliably. You didn't hear it from me though >.>
- Samus should no longer clip though the Queen when in morph.
- Item room music now obeys the volume setting and should no longer restart the area theme when ended.
- The Retro item music toggle has been removed, instead, the item room theme now plays if the file called "musItemAmb2.ogg" exists in the game directory; if it is removed, the area theme will continue playing rather than the item theme.
- Music should no longer randomly fail to play (Yes, for real this time...).
- Updated Skreek sprite.
- A7 cave background changed.
- Added French, Czech, and German localizations.
- Many other minor fixes.

:!: Due to previous attention from Nintendo regarding this project please do not post download links here. Though you may find the information at the source link below.

:arrow: Source (Reddit)

D

Deleted User

showed up Nintendo's own official attempts at remaking Metroid 2.
It depends on who you're asking, because the official M2R probably seems more appealing to a casual audience while AM2R seems to cater to pre-established fans of the series. That's how I see it at least.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New stuff for my Shield TV, yay! I like both Nintendo’s official Metroid 2 Remake and AM2R. Both offer their own take on the game. That said, AM2R might as well be an official game.
Apparently it's not working on Android TV :( someone on Reddit says it crashes out.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's a patcher for v1.1 ?
they didn't release 1.4.1 directly to prevent nintendo's actions?

But, I have v1.2 demo :ohnoes:

reddit has some already patched torrent links, but there's no checksum to be sure it's the proper file.
my antivirus prevented to connect to one of the torrent tracker for android version posted on reddit. it always looks suspicious when getting one.

I'm not sure it will work on my phone anyway, the specs says it needs a dedicated GPU (and probably a BT controller?).

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: wicksand420

GamingAori

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice update, I think I might play it. Hopefully someone will create a switch port. I enjoyed AM2R more then the official M2 remake tbh. It just feels like a more "normal" Metroid for me, really hate the near fighting mechanic of the official remake

D

Deleted User

I still haven't gotten around to playing this. Question is who is updating and porting this? The original authors? I thought they got C&D?

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's a patcher for v1.1 ?
they didn't release 1.4.1 directly to prevent nintendo's actions?

But, I have v1.2 demo :ohnoes:

reddit has some already patched torrent links, but there's no checksum to be sure it's the proper file.
my antivirus prevented to connect to one of the torrent tracker for android version posted on reddit. it always looks suspicious when getting one.

I'm not sure it will work on my phone anyway, the specs says it needs a dedicated GPU (and probably a BT controller?).
I tried the prepatched torrent link from Reddit and it worked fine. Give it a go.

D

Deleted User

So wait - is this "official" from DM64, or is this a fan-made patch? I haven't been able to discern either way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1