Hacking Am I screwed?

Xenonas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I own a fake DSTT and just today I downloaded the new 1.17 firmware from official DSTT site. I played Contra 4 for about half an hour and everything ran fine, and only recently I've discovered that it ACTUALLY contains a fake killer (I originally thought that it was just to scare people into not buying fakes). So is my DSTT screwed already or there is still some hope?

Briankealing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh...

How do you know it's fake? Just curious. I'm assuming you looked on the DSTT and opened it up.

Whom did you buy it from?

stayingarmed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it still works, then just delete the firmware from the card and install either 1.15 or the versions that have the killer removed from it.

Xenonas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Briankealing said:
How do you know it's fake? Just curious. I'm assuming you looked on the DSTT and opened it up.
Whom did you buy it from?

The packaging it came in is the one indicated as fake on DSTT Official Website. I didn't open it because i'm quite clumsy and have a habit of breaking stuff =/ Got it from a reseller along with a used DS Lite, so no use complaining there.

QUOTE(syst3merror @ Jan 22 2009, 12:15 AM) if it still works, then just delete the firmware from the card and install either 1.15 or the versions that have the killer removed from it.

Done that. Got the new 1.17 version from here. Thank you for your answers, gentlemen. =]

Karuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't original cards come in that packaging?
I would check if it's original or not. Run DsttFlashChecker.nds from Bri's link.

Xenonas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just ran the fake checker and here are the results:

AMIC A29L800U
Good!! (^^)v

That's a good thing, right? And I guess I won't be opening it, because I almost broke the damn thing =/

chilko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
Yes, "Good!!" is good. With certain chips, the checker will sometimes return a false positive (it will say "good" when it's actually fake). You can also tell if it's fake without opening by examining the microSD holder. See this post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1584543

-Bri

all of dstt i've ordered (sku 10289) seems to have a fake holder and all of them are marked as good by fake checker. i don't know what to do

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, the good news is that it doesn't really matter if you have a fake or not as long as you don't run the fake-killer firmware. So grab the archive I linked to above and install the fake-killer-disabled TTMENU.DAT instead of the official TTMENU.DAT (which contains the fake-killer code). Note that you'll still need the "TTMENU" folder from the official version.

Here are the instructions for setting up your DSTT (real or fake) for the first time:
[*]Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html[*]Grab the official 1.17 menu from here (but do NOT install TTMENU.DAT from it as it contains the fake-killer code!!!): http://www.ndstt.com/download.html[*]Copy the TTMENU folder (but not TTMENU.DAT) from the official firmware to your microSD card.[*]Grab this archive: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy TTMENU.DAT from the archive to your microSD card (that version has the fake-killer code disabled). Optional: copy DsttFlashChecker.nds to your microSD card.[*]Make a folder named "games" on your microSD card. Copy 2 or 3 games (.nds files) to the new "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader in the list, and press STOP before removing your microSD card from your PC.[*]Insert your DSTT into the NDS. Insert your microSD card into the DSTT. Turn on the NDS.[*]You should see a menu with your games and the DsttFlashChecker program listed (if you installed it). You can run DsttFlashChecker if you installed it to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT.[*]You should be able to run your games now. Always keep the following in mind:
  • Always leave some free space on your microSD card for save files and system files.
  • Always put games into your "games" folder. Also, put homebrew into a folder. Leave as few files as possible on the root of your microSD card.
  • Always use "safely remove hardware" to remove your microSD card from your PC.
  • Use the Panasonic formatter if you ever have to reformat.
  • Make sure you don't use the official TTMENU.DAT (particularly if you have a fake) because it contains fake-killer code.
-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol