Homebrew Am I Screwed? Black Screen after OTP on N3DS

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you have AGB_FIRM modified on Emunand before downgrade? Not sure if that would have any effect. It should only cause downgrade to 2.1 to fail with error. My advice to people is to not downgrade their current EmuNand, but to backup their current EmuNand, write SysNand to EmuNand and start from there. That is of course assuming your SysNand did not have modified AGB_FIRM or TWL_FIRM installed. If that is the case you need to "update" to 9.2 again with sysupdater 0.4.2 to fix the modified CIAs

Reactions: FenrirWolf

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Explain TWL mods, i had a TWLsaveextractor that i used for DS games, nothing more then that tho.

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country

DHall243

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No luck getting in to recovery mod, done a fresh format sd and put a Nintendo 3DS folder backup from January on the card. Nothing

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

TWL_FIRM patches are normally used to unblock NDS flashcarts on newer firmware so you can use original R4, Acekard2 etc.

Something like this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-patch-twl_firm-to-play-normally-blocked-ds-games.414578/
I have a DStwo plus and sky3ds+ but im pretty sure neither of those needed anything done to unblock them.

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
No luck getting in to recovery mod, done a fresh format sd and put a Nintendo 3DS folder backup from January on the card. Nothing

I have a DStwo plus and sky3ds+ but im pretty sure neither of those needed anything done to unblock them.
Not sure if this matters at all... Did you initialize DB by opening eShop after TinyFormat the second time?

DHall243

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this matters at all... Did you initialize DB by opening eShop after TinyFormat the second time?
I did

I think whats aggravating me the most is this one was a ips screen model. Ive got a brand new pokemon 20th ann 3ds put up, but its a TN screen model and theres a difference in my eyes. Kind of stupid for nintendo to put a TN screen in something with head tracking. I know if i buy another n3ds xl ill get one with a flippin tn screen.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say, when you get Cakes set up, did you happen to turn on the "Block FIRM partition updates" setting? Or did you leave that one unchecked?

DHall243

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only things checked on cakes was Driver Signature and Enable Emunand, i had a shit tone of issues with cakes wanting to boot tho, just cakes itself, not the emunand

DHall243

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wont attempt it again, not on a new 3ds anyhow, I questioned whether to try it or not when i read the words cross your fingers....

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well we could get a NAND mod which would make the procedure harmless but I'd like to get a capture card some time and I'm afraid that these two mods could somehow interfere with each other, like the capture card not having enough space in the case because of the NAND mod, vice versa.

DHall243

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont have steady enough hands for small circuit boards, learned this back when mod chips were real big on ps2.

Reactions: FenrirWolf

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just passing by to say I got the same problem, following the same tutorial on n3DSXL after downgrading with the new svchax exploit.

Now I get a black screen on booting with(out) micoSD, and only the blue light (the power one) switches on (the "busy" led on the right keeps shut). Obviously L+R+A+Up does nothing either...

DHall243

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just passing by to say I got the same problem, following the same tutorial on n3DSXL after downgrading with the new svchax exploit.

Now I get a black screen on booting with(out) micoSD, and only the blue light (the power one) switches on (the "busy" led on the right keeps shut). Obviously L+R+A+Up does nothing either...
Did you have issues booting your Emunand launcher?

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you have issues booting your Emunand launcher?

Not really. I mean, it's not a 100% launch rate but CakesFW has failed lauching (black screen after selecting it in HBL) around 5 times in the entire process of setting up emuNAND and downgrading for OTP. Specifically, it went first try when I launched it to attempt the 2.1.0 downgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    meowie13 @ meowie13: hellooo everyone