Tutorial  Updated

Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

How To Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

In this tutorial I'll show you how to install the patched "TWL_FIRM" CIA so you're able to play blocked DS cartridges like as example Flashcards that were blocked by Nintendo over the years. However keep in mind that not every Flashcard works this way and, as example, the Action Replay DSi Card only ends up in a white bootup-screen without going further!

------------------------------------------------------------

What You'll Need:

• (Recommended) EmuNAND setup
  • (Recommended) EmuNAND/SysNAND backup before you begin, as example with EmuNAND9
  • TWL_FIRM.zip (this pack would be illegal to upload on GBATemp, please search on Google, the pack I used here was from someone named "AuroraWright" from a certain ISO-Site)
  • A CIA manager (recommended: FBI)
  • TWL Slot-1 Launcher (only needed for some flashcards which won't show up else)

Step 0 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Make an SysNAND/EmuNAND backup
  • This step is only recommended but NOT MANDATORY! But in case you derp something up you'll thank me later
  • Simply use a tool like EmuNAND9, start it via Homebrew Launcher (in SysNAND/"Menuhax" mode) and go to "EmuNAND Manager Options" > "Dump EmuNAND to EmuNAND.bin" and you're good to go.

Step 1 - Copy the right CIA file to your 3DS
  • Unpack the downloaded "TWL_FIRM.zip" file somewhere on your PC.
  • There are 2 files now, "twlfirm_n3ds.cia" and "twlfirm_o3ds.cia". You need to choose the right one for your 3DS.
  • You need to choose the "n3ds" one if your 3DS is a "New 3DS" or "New 3DS XL".
  • You need to choose the "o3ds" one if your 3DS is a "3DS", "3DS XL" or a "2DS".
  • Once you know which file to copy over simply put it in any folder you'll later find it again, as example "X:/CIA/Patches"

Step 2 - Use FBI/Install FBI into home menu
  • I cannot really provide a guide on how to install FBI here so you should refer to the official, above mentioned FBI thread on how to install it. However I recommend using the home menu installed version (aka. CIA version) so there won't be any problems now since this is a system CIA we're going to replace here.

Step 3 - Use FBI in NAND-Mode and install the CIA
  • Open FBI (obviously :P)
  • Press the "L" button once, on the top-screen you should now read a text that says "Destination: NAND". IF YOU FORGET THIS YOU'LL GET AN ERROR NOW!
  • Now go to the folder you've placed the right CIA from Step 1 into.
  • Select it and press "A" to install. Press "A" again to confirm it.
    • If you now get an error like "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMBINATION" you've not followed all steps here. Go back by pressing "Start" and then pressing "L" to switch to NAND-Mode. Now try to install the CIA again.
  • After this it'll tell you that the title is already installed. Simply press "A" to overwrite it.
  • Once done press "Start" and go back to your home menu/homebrew launcher.

Step 4 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Install TWL Slot-1 Launcher
  • Since you already know how to install CIA files from Step 3 simply download the above mentioned "TWL Slot-1 Launcher" CIA and install it again as mentioned in Step 3, however this time it'll not ask you to replace anything and install it right away.
  • This will help you later on to start cartridges which you'd not be able to start else.

Okay, that's it!
If you have any questions please ask them here but try to provide as many infos as possible!

Thanks for reading :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*** Guide Changelogs ***

11.02.2016 - 16:39: INITIAL GUIDE VERSION
12.02.2016 - 21:35: Fix design-issues due to the "super nice mods" merging posts... Gee, thanks guys... :angry:

Last edited by EpicLPer,

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks interesting, nice tutorial!

EDIT:
I have a suggestion, here is a list of ds flashcards that could work with this : https://pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/
Ones that havent worked since launch will not work, ones that where patched in 1.0 firmware update and up will probably work
Ps I didn't make this

Last edited by Returnofganon,

YharnamBadass

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Aurora Wright's TWL Firm file works perfectly for the dreadful R4i with the wifi (blue letters) and 3ds (green letters) markings. So it´s the best version of the twl firm, atleast for me. Because it works on my N3DS when everything else failed!.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then tell me, is there a way to "manually" merge a post without using "MERGED auto /MERGED" since this adds the text to not double post?
the edit button allows you to add text

im doing it now
still doing it
. . . ok im done now
. . . after this last one

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: YharnamBadass

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
oh . . . i see what you mean because you cant quote in an edit? or is it because it does not trigger as a new post and as such bump the thread? . . . i guess im still confused as to what you truly meant
No, I want to kind of "make sections" inside a post, as example on HTML you can do with an "HR" element so you get a nice, long line in the middle of your post.
I could do it with a picture to divide the different sections inside a post but that's so much effort put into one tiny thing to just make it look "nice"...

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you forgot 1 critical piece - describing which nand to put it on. since the assumption is emunand, I installed it there, and it works great... but I would just call that out in the tutorial if I was you... lots of noobs lurk these forums

Reactions: ShiroKyouma

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1