OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aluminum, the elemental form of the metal known from antiquity through alum

Alum was used to dye wool, and initially came into Europe primarily from the Middle East (and in the middle ages, this meant trading with the Ottomans)

It was an important resource and commanded a hefty sum. Eventually deposits were found in Europe, and the purchase of this element from the ME was banned by the pope (and prices fell)

It was suspected for a long time that the compound might be amenable to extraction - and the production of metal

Although despite many attempts this eluded scientists

Eventually a method of extraction was discovered, but it was costly and inefficient. Early in the history of Aluminum production the metal was worth more than its weight in gold

Napoleon III emperor of France was an early advocate of the metal and held dinner parties with fancy aluminum cutlery

The Washington monument in Washington DC is capped with Aluminum and at the time top dollar was paid for this capstone (which is now essentially worthless, thanks mass produced soda cans)

Eventually increased production, refinement of extraction and economy of scale brought the price of aluminum down to its current state of essentially free

Aluminum is used widely now in construction, aeronautics, and food packaging. The first artificial satellite, Sputnik, was made almost entirely of Aluminum

And you?

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All advanced spaceship technology is made from aluminium foil. People say aluminium resist everything.
NASA_ApolloLanderOnMom-800x468.jpg

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All advanced spaceship technology is made from aluminium foil. People say aluminium resist everything.
NASA_ApolloLanderOnMom-800x468.jpg
Lightweight, strong, cheap, plentiful, recyclable, non-corroding, reflective and thus cool, relatively biologically and chemically inert

It's the king of metals

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Alum. It's good for you.

T2iJ7DI.jpg

The first artificial satellite, Sputnik, was made almost entirely of Aluminum

And you?
I am not made almost entirely of Aluminum, no.
(inb4 Flame with "I'm 40% aluminum")

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza and x65943

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A sadly less known use for alum today

Also re dyes and blocking of trade. The follow up from that (trade is nice for those that trade, best to continue it) was that instead artefacts of religious significant were brought back, but it was only through the selfless running of trade networks that it was allowed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-