Alternative to .mkv

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Dr.Aqua, May 29, 2011.

May 29, 2011

Alternative to .mkv by Dr.Aqua at 7:09 PM (620 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Dr.Aqua
    OP

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't get me wrong, the mastroka file format is great for my own desktop use. To stream over dlna not so much. What's a better format? Most of my videos are softsubbed anime and i would like to stay away from hardsubbing.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    MP4 has softsub support, though I don't know if it's limited to one or if it can have multiple embedded.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would steer clear of trying to subtitle/captioning MP4- http://diveintomark.org/archives/2009/01/0...rt-4-captioning has about as nice an intro to the subject as I have ever seen.

I would also steer clear of dlna- a worse/more limp wristed standard I have not seen in several years now. Still if you must suffer it then many players will support some of the softsub formats- it might involve converting to a near plain text format (SRT or something or even a simplified version of that). If you can beat your player into using SMB or something good do so as you will have a far easier existence. XBMC has got exceptionally good these last couple of years (PC and original xbox) as have some of the offshoots- it will run on just about any old junker too.