Hacking Alternative firmware confusion

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
So due to the bad recent updates I've decided I want to try the alternative firmwares.
But which is better? Wood or YSmenu?

Which firmware has more compatibility with games, better and faster GUI (I don't like firmware where starting a game is a chore (Touchpod)), support for additional features (soft-reset, RTS, cheats, etc)?

Specificelly I want to run the following games: Super Scribblenauts, Ghost Trick, Proffessor Layton 3, Sonic Colors.

I'm looking at installing from this topic http://gbatemp.net/t268715-woodr4-for-m3

If only the newer Sakura versions didn't break older games (Professor Layton 3)... especielly since According to their past announcment their won't be any new version for quite a while.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok from what i know, Ysmenu has more game compatibility, BUT Wood has easily got the better GUI, Ysmenu will run your games, and allow cheats, but im not sure about the rest, but Wood allows file Management (to an extent Copy and paste as well as delete functions) and also allows cheats and RTS. your best bet is to go with a Dual boot system.

Download both
Install all files from Wood R4
Copy TTmenu, SRESET.Dat and YSM3.nds to root of card.

This will run Wood as your main firmware and if you find a game that doesnt load, boot YSM3.nds the same way you would any other game and run it through thee.

Hope this helps

Gaboros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
temp4746 said:
So due to the bad recent updates I've decided I want to try the alternative firmwares.
But which is better? Wood or YSmenu?

Which firmware has more compatibility with games, better and faster GUI (I don't like firmware where starting a game is a chore (Touchpod)), support for additional features (soft-reset, RTS, cheats, etc)?

Specificelly I want to run the following games: Super Scribblenauts, Ghost Trick, Proffessor Layton 3, Sonic Colors.

I'm looking at installing from this topic http://gbatemp.net/t268715-woodr4-for-m3

If only the newer Sakura versions didn't break older games (Professor Layton 3)... especielly since According to their past announcment their won't be any new version for quite a while.

Hello!

You can read about the know bugs in my topic.

WoodR4 for M3.
Known bugs:
- Soft reset doesn't work in this version.
- This version can not load the games if the nds and/or the sav file is fragmented.
- Games with big cheat size (32 Mb) like WarioWare: Do It Yourself don't work with this version

YSM3
Known bugs:
- Game loading and file generating could be extremely slow on some SDHC cards.

In my opinion WoodR4 for M3 is a way better the YSM3. It has better game compatibility prettier and faster menu. If you don't mind the bugs what I mentioned above you should as that. When I used my M3 cards I have only used that menu and it doesn't had any problem. I could play any of the game which I wanted.
And YWG update the original one faster the YSM3 and Wood has a better chance to load a new game then YSM3 without any updated. In my opinion Wood is much more better but you can use the two firmware at the same time if you wish.
smile.gif

YSM3 was very very slow on my SD card and that is why I only used Wood and I didn't have any problem with it. This is only my opinion. Try them and you will see which one do you like better.
smile.gif

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I think I'll start with Wood as secondary firmware for this few games that don't work well.
I just wish there was an option to quickly boot into Wood, like hold some button to boot into it or a replacment for the Sakura-Touchpod menu that allows you to choose. (It seems you can only have it completley replace Sakura-Touchpod for autobooting it for know.

Gaboros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
temp4746 said:
I think I'll start with Wood as secondary firmware for this few games that don't work well.
I just wish there was an option to quickly boot into Wood, like hold some button to boot into it or a replacment for the Sakura-Touchpod menu that allows you to choose. (It seems you can only have it completley replace Sakura-Touchpod for autobooting it for know.

Is there a way... just give me one sec and I will link here the solution for your problem.
smile.gif

Edit: Here is what you need:

http://filebeam.com/689190e5d67b59130c795ab1f7b5cf25

Just copy into the root of your sd card and wood will boot instead of sakura... if you want to load sakura press and hold b.

If you rename defaultn to defaultx or defaulty holding x or y will boot into wood and holding nothing will boot into sakura.

Note: I don't know this is works with the latest sakura because I can not run it. If this doesn't work then sorry!
frown.gif

kot7k

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gofansub.net
XP
Country
Spain
Vincent Valentine said:
no they can be renamed to be but Ysmenu saves as XXXX.nds.sav and ysmenu as just XXXX.sav
no they can be renamed to be but Wood saves as XXXX.nds.sav and ysmenu as just XXXX.sav ->fixed

Wood has the option to save as xxxx.sav, change in system settings/preferences or whatever is called (So the answer is YES)->refixed.

Gaboros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
kot7k said:
Vincent Valentine said:
no they can be renamed to be but Ysmenu saves as XXXX.nds.sav and ysmenu as just XXXX.sav
no they can be renamed to be but Wood saves as XXXX.nds.sav and ysmenu as just XXXX.sav ->fixed

Wood has the option to save as xxxx.sav, change in system settings/preferences or whatever is called (So the answer is YES)->refixed.

Of course it can! Just the .nds.sav enable in default.
smile.gif

QUOTE(A Gay Little Catboy @ Jan 30 2011, 08:46 PM)
Or you could just go with The Quad-Boot and have both of them, just saying

Yeah this is the best what you can do with your M3.
wink.gif

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I didn't yet get to install it (exams -.-), but I have a question, does Wood have the ability to start with the last game played selected like Sakura? (or atleast setting a default directory)

EDIT: Just installed it all works well.
It loads the last folder you were in if the last thing you did was launch a game from that folder, but it doesn't select the last game played which would have been nice.
Also would it be better to use .nds.sav or .sav?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night