Alternate loading interface: Moonshell vs YSMenu

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by dong1225, Mar 22, 2010.

Mar 22, 2010
  1. dong1225
    OP

Newcomer dong1225 Member

Canada
    Sorry for creating probably another useless thread.
    I was aways for a while and didn't find the stickies too helpful for my situation.

Now my problem is that I am currently running the unofficial 1.17a07 firmware on my dstt plain.
    No additional loader or YSMenu boot setup or anything, just the original ttds loader and GUI.

However, I've recently noticed that there has been people who started using Moonshell as the loader.
    Before, I didn't think about the YSMenu as I liked my little icons beside the rom list.
    On the other hand, I recently installed Moonshell 2.10 and just simply has been loving the experience. (The main reason I was away from the forum was because My iPod touch replaced and did much more than my DS could do. Moonshell's momentum scrolling is just simply amazing)
    So now, I decided that I could give my DSTT a new life by trying out the Moonshell as the GUI.

What do you guys think about YSMenu and Moonshell.
    Is there any compatibility differences? Load time?
    Do you think that I should or should not change?
    How do set up either one of them?

If I am just being an idiot, posting a question that already has the answer, please guide this poor soul to the light.
    I couldn't find what I need form the search function (I heard it's kind of broken now)

Thanks in advance!

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    1.17a07 ? use a12.

and i also use moonshell and YSMenu.

it doesnt change loading time.

though you cant load cheats through moonshell.

you have to do it through YSMenu.

3. dong1225
    OP

Newcomer dong1225 Member

Canada
    I don't use cheats often but I guess I'll need YSMenu in occasions that I do need them.

Anyways thanks for quick reply!

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Moonshell2 cau use ysmenu as a loader, so the speed of the ysmenu loader is the speed of Moonshell2's loading. Without the ysloader, Moonshell2 has a very limited support of loading homebrew (no commercial roms without the ysloader).

This link can help you if you want to have commercial rom loading with MS2.10Stable although it may be slightly cumbersome to use.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=208136

The alternative is to use Moonshell2.08/2.09/2.10Beta9 and a crack that Normmatt made so Moonshell2 doesn't restrict the loading of commercial roms.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    My setup:

Official R4 w/ Moonshell 2.09 as firmware and YSMenu+DSTT1.17a12 for ROMs.
    My card boots directly into Moonshell, and loads ROMs almost instantly with Xenon++'s YSMenu Loader.
    ( Also, thanks to Normmatt for the cracked Moonshell 2.09 overlay.dll )