Hacking Alternate DOLs and forced 480i

galneon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So apparently, when loading any game via alternate DOL, despite the Wii's system setting, the game will run 480i. This is a deal-breaker for me with Metroid Prime Trilogy... Is this problem well-understood, and is it fixable in the future? Are there any loaders that DON'T have this problem?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I can confirm that Both Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis and Mortal Kombat Armageddon work at 480p for me using Configurable USB Loader. I don't know about MPT, as I won't be buying the game until the Aussie release in October.

Several people have seemed to claim lately that it's only GX that is forcing people into 480i with MPT. Again, I don't know the truth of the matter.

galneon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh ok, that's great news then. I will try it with CFG soon... From the MPT thread I got the impression it happened on all loaders.

EriktheRed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't say anything about MPT as I haven't gotten around to that one yet, but it's definitely NOT true that all alt dols force 480i.

When I watched the mandatory video about Wii Motion+ in WSR I had my Wii hooked up to a computer monitor via my VGA adapter and I actually watched the video, so it had to be 480p since my monitor is physically incapable of displaying an interlaced signal.

Sound more like this is an issue with MPT than with alt-dols via loaders.

I used USB loader GX btw...

ViciousXUSMC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe there is an option or a flag that needs to be selected on the main menu and since your skipping the menu its 480i?

I cant really see any difference between 480i and 480p anyways

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think MP1 and MP2 only support 480i. Remeber that they are just ported from the gamecube.

You can try to force 480p and enable video mode patches, if anything then that helps.

galneon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many games, including MP1, supported progressive scan on the Gamecube. They went through the effort of adapting MP1 to widescreen for the Wii, so I seriously doubt they'd drop 480p which the Gamecube version featured. Edit: I see you're in Germany though, and PAL versions of GC games often dropped 480p support :/ Many NTSC games support it.

Seroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using both Configurable and USB Loader GX with the Alternate DOL method, Metroid Prime Trilogy games run in 480i. However, if you load the main menu's dol, that will run in 480p.

And I just got done playing the Gamecube version of Metroid Prime, which runs in 480p, so the Wii versions have to have 480p support as well...

I'm not playing the Wii version in 480i, 'cause it looks blurry in that mode. I can play the Gamecube version in 480p, and it looks way better...but it's not widescreen.
frown.gif

galneon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's odd that more people don't care about this issue... Seems very important to me, but I've been spoiled by HDTV for years. I guess most Wii gamers are still using composite cables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1