Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello dearest Community,

As you've definitely heard, alterIWNet received a Cease and Desist notification from Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP on behalf of Activision Publishing Inc, demanding that we stop our operations due to infringing US and International laws.

At this time, only initial negotiations have been made, but it is certain that alterIWNet will cease all operations by the end of next week, indefinitely. During that time, you can still play the supported games, as usual.

Please refrain from taking any actions on our behalf, such as harassing letters, posts, "denial of service" attacks, telling your grandmother or anything else that you may deem wise. There is nothing more we can do here, unless Activision recognise us as a legitimate modding community.

Additionally, do not trust rumors. Everything official will be posted in this announcement. Anything you've heard that contradicts this announcement or is not mentioned here is likely false.

Thank you all for your continued dedication and contributions to alterIWNet and to PC gaming as a whole.

Sincerely,
Max
alterIWNet Administrator
Source
Well this ruined my day..... AlterIWNet basically made the unplayable playable IMHO, MW2 legitimate absolutely sucks thanks to hackers/noobs, and it's impossible to keep playing that because of all the bullshit that's going on. Meanwhile AlterMW2 has kept me going for over 16 days of playtime, and I'm still addicted.
Now all of this is gone. Don't know why they suddenly, after over 2 years, started worrying about this, but it's a fucking shame. This absolutely rocked, free CoD online multiplayer, amazing community, proper PC support.

RIP AlterIWNet, my most played games ever.....

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Quite frankly I'm surprised they lasted this long. Good riddance.
Good riddance? How can you possibly have something against this initiative, that actually treated the PC platform with respect and made games so much better? They never charged anything for it too.
If Activision thinks they'll get more PC customers now because they closed this, they should think again. I'm never playing MW2 again, couldn't stand it.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good riddance? How can you possibly have something against this initiative, that actually treated the PC platform with respect and made games so much better? They never charged anything for it too.
If Activision thinks they'll get more PC customers now because they closed this, they should think again. I'm never playing MW2 again, couldn't stand it.
Listen... It was too early for that kind of a platform. Why would someone who purchased the game legally want to play on a server that is not made by Activision? For mod's sake? I doubt it.

This was a typical hive of piracy - pirated copies didn't work with the Activision servers, they worked with Alter servers, gotta close Alter - plain and simple. Were the server opened much, much later, after the release of, I don't know, Modern Warfare 4, when the game would no longer in the spotlight, nobody would mind. right now? Of course people with frown upon it.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Listen... It was too early for that kind of a platform. Why would someone who purchased the game legally want to play on a server that is not made by Activision? For mod's sake? I doubt it.

This was a typical hive of piracy - pirated copies didn't work with the Activision servers, they worked with Alter servers, gotta close Alter - plain and simple. Were the server opened much, much later, after the release of, I don't know, Modern Warfare 4, when the game would no longer in the spotlight, nobody would mind. right now? Of course people with frown upon it.
Saying it like that gives me hope we'll see a similar project in a few years :ninja:
I know tons of people who bought MW2/BLOPS/MW3 via Steam, and then switched to the Alter version because of either:
  • Dedicated servers (less lag usually)
  • Almost 0% hackers, the Anti-Cheating of AlterIWNet actually worked
  • Mods like iSnipe for the quickscopers, zombies for whoever wanted that, XPx10,.....
  • Ability to block certain noobweapons (biggest reason, trust me, grenade launchers in MW2 make everyone ragequit sooner or later)
It's perfectly understandable to see people who bought the game on Alter-servers, simply because the Alterversion was just better.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ability to block certain noobweapons (biggest reason, trust me, grenade launchers in MW2 make everyone ragequit sooner or later)
I disagree with that kind of thinking. The weapon's in the game, people can use it, you can use it, suck it up.
It's perfectly understandable to see people who bought the game on Alter-servers, simply because the Alterversion was just better.
Perhaps, but it was at the same time a hub for pirates to play a game they did not legally purchase online.

Knowing life the source code for this will just accidentally "leak" (more or less intentionally :creep: ) anyways, so you probably have nothing to worry about.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ability to block certain noobweapons (biggest reason, trust me, grenade launchers in MW2 make everyone ragequit sooner or later)
I disagree with that kind of thinking. The weapon's in the game, people can use it, you can use it, suck it up.
Perhaps, but it was at the same time a hub for pirates to play a game they did not legally purchase online.

Knowing life the source code for this will just accidentally "leak" (more or less intentionally :creep: ) anyways, so you probably have nothing to worry about.
It's in the game but it's overpowered as hell, ruining the fun for others. Why should it still be in the game then? It's against my principles to use anything n00b, I own the opposition my way, or don't own them. And I can assure you, I usually own them. I won't succumb to n00btactics, no thank you. If I get killed too much with launchers, I just go to another, better server. With Steam, that's impossible.

I hope so fucking much it leaks. So much. SO MUCH! I'll pay PayPal moneyz to whatever service pops up (just like I did donate 10 euros to AlterIWNet)

Zalda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'M NEVER BUYING SOMETHING OF YOU AGAIN PIECES OF SHIT

Well if you're playing AlterIWNet I doubt you were buying their stuff before anyway.
i bought cod, cod UO, cod 2, cod 4, left4dead (is that from them?), guitar hero, thps 1/2/3/4 and some other games from them. but here it ends. fuck them. it probably won't hurt them but fuck it, i'm an activision hater now

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's in the game but it's overpowered as hell, ruining the fun for others. Why should it still be in the game then? It's against my principles to use anything n00b, I own the opposition my way, or don't own them. And I can assure you, I usually own them. I won't succumb to n00btactics, no thank you.

Activision is in charge of their servers and they are more then capable to nerf the launchers if they deem that necessary. I'm sorry, but that's just not their angle. In the real world, when you get hit in the face with a grenade and that grenade happens to explode, you die. Plain and simple, there is no OP involved. If you claim you can overpower a tube user then why are you even complaining, just overpower them. Besides, tube ammunition is very limited, if they miss, they die. Every weapon requires a certain degree of skill, even a n00bgun. Besides, everybody "starts" at some point, they won't be running around with the tube all their lives.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Because the official servers are unmoderated hack infested p2p shit heaps, perhaps? Simple fact is official servers are terrible.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's in the game but it's overpowered as hell, ruining the fun for others. Why should it still be in the game then? It's against my principles to use anything n00b, I own the opposition my way, or don't own them. And I can assure you, I usually own them. I won't succumb to n00btactics, no thank you.

Activision is in charge of their servers and they are more then capable to nerf the launchers if they deem that necessary. I'm sorry, but that's just not their angle. In the real world, when you get hit in the face with a grenade and that grenade happens to explode, you die. Plain and simple, there is no OP involved. If you claim you can overpower a tube user then why are you even complaining, just overpower them. Besides, tube ammunition is very limited, if they miss, they die. Every weapon requires a certain degree of skill, even a n00bgun. Besides, everybody "starts" at some point, they won't be running around with the tube all their lives.
They could definitely do that, sure, but why in fucks name didn't they do it then? It's so obvious they are OP, especially with the Danger Close perk (makes all explosives stronger).
CoD never aimed to be realistic, forget that argument.

Tube ammunition is unlimited for the übernoobs who use the One Man Army (which makes it possible to change your class at all times). OMA + Danger Close, and you're fucked.
I can overpower them but it just gets me enraged when they kill me with such a n00btactic. + not all the time I can overpower them, some maps they just own my ass with all this shit. And then the fun is ruined for everyone who's not n00bing around.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'M NEVER BUYING SOMETHING OF YOU AGAIN PIECES OF SHIT

Well if you're playing AlterIWNet I doubt you were buying their stuff before anyway.
i bought cod, cod UO, cod 2, cod 4, left4dead (is that from them?), guitar hero, thps 1/2/3/4 and some other games from them. but here it ends. fuck them. it probably won't hurt them but fuck it, i'm an activision hater now

So you didn't buy any games actually falling under AlterIWnet. You played them illegally on a pirated copy of the game.
Yeah they're fucking morons for stopping you from being able to do that.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
L4d/2 is from valve

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Damn, better delete my copy since it's going to waste now...
I didn't actually buy it so I don't have much to complain about, although it did have a lot better gamemodes than the official game.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
They must have got to big for their own good. That is what happens, they always go after the "big" or the "only" people. I'm sure there are other place's you can play like Garena, (one off the top of my head) and Im sure there will be a new "big" one spring up under a different name in the future.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They could definitely do that, sure, but why in fucks name didn't they do it then? It's so obvious they are OP, especially with the Danger Close perk (makes all explosives stronger).
CoD never aimed to be realistic, forget that argument.

Tube ammunition is unlimited for the übernoobs who use the One Man Army (which makes it possible to change your class at all times). OMA + Danger Close, and you're fucked.
I can overpower them but it just gets me enraged when they kill me with such a n00btactic. + not all the time I can overpower them, some maps they just own my ass with all this shit. And then the fun is ruined for everyone who's not n00bing around.
I've gotta say, Foxi is dead wrong, I doubt he played the game much. When you can spawn 2 more tubes in 3 seconds (I believe thats how long it took with One Man Army Pro) and they have a gigantic range, they are clearly overpowered.

The whole argument of realism is entirely false, a good balance is 9000% more important to a good competitive game than realism. If one gun is so overpowered that no one wants to use anything else, everything else in the game becomes useless. So it's either you participate in the noobtube wars, try to play legitimately and get cheated by overpowered noobtubes all the time, or you play on the AlterIWNet servers (PC exclusive option obviously) where noobtubes are disabled.

Game developers (such as Valve with TF2) talk about the importance of a good balance all the time. If your game isn't balanced, it becomes a monotonous slog with everyone using one single weapon/class/loadout instead of everyone being able to figure out what type of weapons works best for them in their playstyle.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: So basically, that's a cheat, huh?