Almost perfect 3000 mah battery mod

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Demix, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Demix
    OP

Demix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    You can buy a 100,000 mah solar power bank or 250,000. I opened it up and found a very small 1000 or 2000 battery xD

2. zantzue

zantzue GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Basque Country
    I was thinking...why don't I use a cellular phone battery instead? I found this one. It's an original 3,000-mah LG battery (3.8V) selled by Amazon. Its dimensions are 7,5 x 5 x 0,5 cm so it would fit. The problem is that I would have to solder it (I don't have a solder station).

3. Demix
    OP

Demix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    I bought 1 on ebay for 20. But its higher volt, max is 3.7 but according the my electric class that .1 difference should work, but it may slowly kill the pad

zantzue likes this.
  4. zantzue

zantzue GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Basque Country
    I bought a digital multimeter on ebay. The old price was about 120€ (I don't remember right now) but the price has dropped to 23€. It is a (semi)professional one. The multimeter says that the LG battery (cellular phone) has a voltage of 3.838V and the chinese battery of "2,500mah" (its real capacity is not that high) has a voltage of 3.865V (it was supposed to be 3.7V or so). And, this is the most interesting part, the official battery I opened in order to use its connector has a voltage of 3.796V (I haven't thrown it away yet) when the chip is not connected. This means that the difference between the LG battery an the official one is roughly 0.04V. I'm going to finish my project as I don't think that difference would affect the gamepad. I don't have a soldering station but next week I'll try to connect it somehow. I'll post my progress here.

Edit: I haven't soldered it yet but I managed to connect the battery to the connector, I charged the battery by using the gamepad and I used it yesterday for 2h and 7'. The gamepad says the battery still has 3 bars out of 4.

Edit2: I continued playing today and after one more hour the orange light lit. The battery lasted a little bit more than 3 hours. It seems to me that I am doing something wrong (I trust it's a real 3,000mah battery).

Last edited by zantzue, Nov 24, 2018
  5. Demix
    OP

Demix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    You can use electric tape if u can make it hold together. Did u try lowering the screen brightness to lowest and rumble off? Its what i did to max battery life

6. Demix
    OP

Demix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    Also electric class taught me that the voltage can be plus or minus 10% of the rate, but that was for an electric motor not sure if same applies for smaller electronics

7. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
  8. Demix
    OP

Demix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    n00bias likes this.
  9. Demix
    This message by Demix has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 3, 2019, Reason: Unnecessary bump.
    Dec 2, 2019
  10. Demix
    OP

Demix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    Bump, not waiting for a reply. This post is a year old and has reached the depths of the forum. Some 1 may find this useful a year later now

CORE likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted