All Wii backup loader/Waninkoko discussion goes here.

lukereeve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thankyou TrolleyDave, I've sat here looking at the shit people are saying about how they deserve anything. I'm glad someone had the experience to tell them how it really is.

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks like Waninkoko hasn't entirely abandoned the Backup Loader he posted the following in another thread on here (Now locked)

Waninkoko said:
The driver is not finished, nor the source code (needs to be cleaned, commented, remove shitty code, etc.). I was going to release the source (as it is licensed under the GPL) with the backup-loader binary but now I'll have to release it when I have it completely finished (except you want a very shitty source).

Also, it's not my fault that the guy who leaked it didn't release the source too.

EDIT: If I have free time tomorrow, I'll release the first version of the source (I don't like to violate the GPL).

He posted in this thread in case people think I made the quote up
tongue.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I think nobody needs a Backuploader for free. If you realy want to play pirated games, go and buy you a Modchip and have fun (Like I did). I only download crap games (like mySims, etc..), good games I still buy (Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, etc..), because I'm respecting the producers of these games. I can also understand Wanikokos reaction very good, why can't some people simply wait a little longer...

Wanikoko, if you read this: Delete everything of the Backuploader and continue to make some other good stuff of Homebrew (like cIOS, Savegame, etc...)! That's my opinion!

rainrix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
I think nobody needs a Backuploader for free. If you realy want to play pirated games, go and buy you a Modchip and have fun (Like I did). I only download crap games (like mySims, etc..), good games I still buy (Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, etc..), because I'm respecting the producers of these games. I can also understand Wanikokos reaction very good, why can't some people simply wait a little longer...

Wanikoko, if you read this: Delete everything of the Backuploader and continue to make some other good stuff of Homebrew (like cIOS, Savegame, etc...)! That's my opinion!

Good for you , nobody tells what you have to do , don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do because it's not your problem.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Jordan10la

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Apex said:
One person wrong him, but given the opportunity, how many do you think WOULD have wrong him. I'm sure if anyone of us, if getting ahold of the beta, probably would have done something to share it.

I can honestly say I would not have leaked it. It's not like it was not going to be released. It was. No point in leaking accept being a hero to the community until he quits progress.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Blue-K said:

I agree, and disagree. I would just as soon paypal donate money to this guy for a working bug free easy to use iso loader as I would get my wii modded. Maybe Im just too lazy to open my Wii up. Right now its buggy as all hell and doesnt work all that well (Yes yes I realize its beta and wasnt supposed to be released) but the point is if were an official bug free release I would be happy to pay $.

For free? Well would be swell, but noone really 'deserves' it, aside from maybe the fellows who helped him develop it.

R0elr

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, If I were the leaker, I should announce I did it, but, this project ended very sadly.... I feel sorry for Waninkoko ....

WezG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Opium said:
Brian117 said:
QUOTE said:
Naes didn't leak it, he posted it from another site.

Well he/she shouldn't of done that. So everyone should be blaming him for putting GBAtemp on the spot right now...

If Waninkoko had said "ahh well it's out now, enjoy it while I work on fixing the bugs", then everybody would be praising Naes and whoever it was that originally leaked it. But just because it didn't go that way now suddenly everyone is on the condemnation train.

Leaking software that someone is working on is not a nice thing to do. GBAtemp didn't leak it though, it was already out there on the internet. GBAtemp did help spread it though and it took down the download link when it was clear what Waninkoko's opinion of the leak was.

Leaking software that someone is working on is ok though, if its a big company not an individual and its allowing you to play "backups" not the actual "backups" themselves, like all the games that get released before the store date, thats ok.
Your all just whining because you have lost out on more free games.
Thank you whoever leaked it, I am sure they did it in the right spirit, but this was the risk they took when releasing something like this, oh well I'm sure it won't stop Waninkoko developing it for himself and not sharing it with a load of @rse holes.

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aw man this sucks whoever did this is a complete ahole! well Waninkoko, i hope u reconsider this......... i could only imagine how it feels when you work hard and something and then someone goes and leaks it. it would have been common sense to whoever did this to wait till you were ready to release your project so that you could show everyone the fruits of your labor. well even if you dont do the project you will still always be the coolest.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cyanidecordial said:
all in all this homebrew would be great, but if you just step back for a second and see what effects this would have on the wii, you might not be as keen on it. There are two very possible things that can come out of this.. whose heard of the dreamcast? they went broke cause you were able to run games off it without any physical modding. Not to say this would make the big N bankrupt but it will have an immediate effect on its sales and hinder the amount of games coming out for it. Also, do you think nintendo is going to stand for this? Theyre going to crush this ASAFP cause the wii has a firmware that can be UPGRADED and they can. What this could lead to is a completely new OS which has no homebrew or free VC possibilities, or at the very least a massive firmware upgrade which is going to be mandatory for all new games.. this hack is going to end up shooting everyone in the foot, if it ever comes out in its complete state youll see some repercussions.
The Wii's target audience is casual gamers, most of whom don't even know that homebrew exists. What games would everyone be pirating? They'd have to buy Brawl and Mario Kart if they wanted online play, and they'd already need a copy of Twilight Princess to start the whole thing off, so that leaves... Super Mario Galaxy? Fire Emblem? There aren't exactly going to be millions of people pirating Wii Fit. Heck, they'll probably make a little money off of those in the hardcore crowd who wouldn't consider buying a Wii until something like this came out.
It would give them a good excuse to stamp out homebrew entirely, though, which is worrying.

Toni Plutonij said:
I see all this lurkers waking up, starting to post their opinions, and bashing the guy for nothing.....The whole community can bash you, every single one of you for not doing NOTHING, because you didn't contribute to community with anything!! Wanikoko did lots of stuff, and decided to stop his project (whatever the reason it is, in this case the leak) and you bash him, yet most of you did nothing..
frown.gif

So? This is not a discussion of who has the most merits or who has done the most for the community. I don't care if you single-handedly saved Wii homebrew or gaming in general, it still doesn't give you the right to be a dick.

TrolleyDave said:
Git off my lawn, you demn kids! I SAID GIT! Why, back in my day...
There's no doubt that a lot of the people posting here are mad at him because they won't be able to pirate games now. The issue still stands, though, that he decided to punish a very large group of people for something they had absolutely no part in, and a lot of people are letting that go by because "oh he's Waninkoko."

QUOTE(WezG @ Sep 20 2008, 02:06 PM)
Leaking software that someone is working on is ok though, if its a big company not an individual
Hahahahahaha

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
referencer said:
TrolleyDave said:
Git off my lawn, you demn kids! I SAID GIT! Why, back in my day...
There's no doubt that a lot of the people posting here are mad at him because they won't be able to pirate games now. The issue still stands, though, that he decided to punish a very large group of people for something they had absolutely no part in, and a lot of people are letting that go by because "oh he's Waninkoko."

By declaring that he's punishing people your inferring that people have some kind of undeniable right to the software. Can you explain to me what that right is?

How many here have helped him develop the tool? How many here have helped him test the tool? Those people have the rights to ask for a copy of the tool, anyone else is just whining because they aren't being allowed to have something they never should have known about to begin with. If some adulation seeking hanger-on hadn't have released info about the tool would you have even known about it?

I don't get why the new generation of romsite/ed2k/torrent/usegroup based software theives believes that hackers/crackers/phreakers/scene members owe them something.

~Tiny~

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, this just plain sucks. I just hope whoever leaked it will own up. Maybe then Waninkoko will continue the project. Maybe, just maybe.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
By declaring that he's punishing people your inferring that people have some kind of undeniable right to the software. Can you explain to me what that right is?
I'm coming at this from the assumption that he started the hype or went along with it after it was started. He doesn't owe anyone anything until he promises it to them, but if he was participating in the buildup and answering questions about it and such, then he was effectively promising it to the community. If he wasn't, and intended to keep the entire thing under wraps until release, then his reaction is much more understandable, and the primary fault is on those who started hyping it up.

Hitoshura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is stupid. This is not a flame, this is a wakeup call, and I hope Waninkoko happens to read this exact post.

Grow up. Seriously. Your shit was leaked, who cares? Yes, there are some people who don't appreciate your work, but there are many, many others who do, as is evidenced by this thread. But seriously, what does your stuff getting leaked affect? Absolutely nothing? Correct. I'm tired of indie devs/hackers getting all butthurt because their shit gets leaked and then screw over the people who are actually supporting them. It's stupid, it's EXTREMELY childish, and you are an asshole by doing it. Think of the people who do appreciate your work. Take a long, hard look at this situation. What has the leak changed? Nothing, or at least that's the way it should be.

Wake up and smell the fucking coffee.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hitoshura said:
This is stupid. This is not a flame, this is a wakeup call, and I hope Waninkoko happens to read this exact post.

Grow up. Seriously. Your shit was leaked, who cares? Yes, there are some people who don't appreciate your work, but there are many, many others who do, as is evidenced by this thread. But seriously, what does your stuff getting leaked affect? Absolutely nothing? Correct. I'm tired of indie devs/hackers getting all butthurt because their shit gets leaked and then screw over the people who are actually supporting them. It's stupid, it's EXTREMELY childish, and you are an asshole by doing it. Think of the people who do appreciate your work. Take a long, hard look at this situation. What has the leak changed? Nothing, or at least that's the way it should be.

Don't you think it's just as childish for people to stamp their feet and have tantrums because they're not getting their own way?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious, and I don't know jack about programming, but if a beta of the software is out there, is it not possible for someone to just take a peek inside, see how the software functions, and then do something with it on their own? It seems to be what flashcard makers do. I know I'm naive on the matter, and that's why I ask. But pirating a pirate doesn't really bother me. So, if anyone were to pick up the mantle, I would have zero problem with that.

That said, I also fall into the category of not really giving a rat's ass. I wouldn't use the software, anyway, for various reasons.

I will say this, though -- this software sure seems to fall into the same category the modchips do, in that it serves no purpose other than pirating software to be played on the Wii. Whereas with flashcards, it can be argued (here in the States) that it's used for homebrew, the same can't be said for this software or modchips. They have a sole purpose, so the creator of this software might actually find themselves in legal trouble at some point.

Hitoshura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Hitoshura said:

Don't you think it's just as childish for people to stamp their feet and have tantrums because they're not getting their own way?

Who is throwing a tantrum? Honestly, I don't even care about this release, so you can try and reread my post without a bias and try to properly comprehend it this time.

I'm just tired of indie devs going off the deep end and getting all pouty because BAWWWWWW MY BETA WAS LEAKED.

But this is possibly because I am one of those "nonexistant" types that tends to congratulate the devs when they do something good and sometimes donates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @yeager1239 read thru here and if not answered, create a thread and ask...