All Ubisoft PC games will require an Internet connection

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Jan 29, 2010.

1. prowler
    OP

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Source

Well, with my computer having no internet connection except from 12pm-9pm (Stupid parents [​IMG] ). I won't be playing any Ubisoft games for a long time.

2. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    If anything it'll make people pirate them more, its enough arseache installing.

3. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    Sucks for the legitimate players.

But for the non-legit players, it's not going to stop a thing.

Good try, Ubisoft. But this only going to hurt, more than anything else. :-\

EDIT: @Hadrian: I think it's safe to say "JINX! You owe me a beer!" [​IMG]

4. Raiser

Raiser I am mad scientist.

May 31, 2008
    Canada
    This is bullshit. No offline play? You kidding?

Fuck Ubisoft. As far as I'm concerned, they don't have any good games out anyway.

5. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Good idea, but at the same time it sounds bad for those who have no internet, or are limited to the internet.

6. Elritha

Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Jan 24, 2006
    Canada
    Like other attempts, this will be cracked. It's the legitimate customers they'll be driving away. Soon they'll be wondering what happened to their customers.

It's been proven before that games with no DRM, that are actually worth buying, do sell.

7. Theraima

Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Jan 4, 2009
    Finland
    Clouds
    Very nice anti-piracy.. Not gonna do the full job.

8. megawalk

megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Jun 14, 2008
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    lol @ fail [​IMG]
    i think ubisoft isn't aware of a update-blocker -_-

9. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2008
    United States
    The Pits Of Hades
    It will be cracked. Apparently their people aren't involved in the summer rolling blackouts in California. I mean really...the internet doesn't ALWAYS work. They are idiots, and this will only cost them sales of the "non-pirating" crowd as opposed to what they are trying to prevent.

10. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Just wondering, what happens if you're internet connection cuts out? Like it just goes out for 5 seconds and comes back on?

It seems pretty ingenious but flawed. Like the PSP Go, which had a pretty good idea of being a download game device but utterly failed because it lacked a way to play PSP discs. Oh, and it was overpriced as fuck.

11. megawalk

megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Jun 14, 2008
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    "Evil Influences" ?
    please [​IMG]
    technically if my theory is correct. not all people are online players. if this is to prevent ap my theory would be. they would most likely lose 53% of their valid customers.
    hacking possibility would increase be 20%
    "Evil People" Influences would increase rapidly by 50%
    and complaints would suffocate at a 70%
    yes...thats the theory...now i wait for a practical situation.

12. purplesludge

purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

Mar 2, 2009
    United States
    wv
  13. Centimetro

Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2008
    United States
    when will PC game developers realize that when the dust settles, their games will be cracked regardless, and all that will be left is a bunch of pissed off would-be customers?

14. Cablephish

Cablephish Show me...

Apr 23, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    This sucks a lot for people who have caps on there internet. If the idea is to stay connected even while playing a single player game, Ubisoft will be making people lose out on money that they have the right to.

What a bunch of bums.

15. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I am not worry because Ubisoft games are not good anyway.

16. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I agree they have to do something about piracy, after all the PC games market is quite large but it's somehow dismissed and we see poor ports sometime because some high profile developers don't feel it's worth to invest too much in that market so terribly plagued by piracy.
    At the end the costumer looses too.......
    But like any other attempt it will be hacked, they hack everything nowadays........
    So to answer people that don't have a steady internet connection...................just pirate the game !
    Really , sometimes i crack my legitimate games just so that I don't have to put the DVD in the tray when I play or have some other special needs..............

17. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Maybe if the games were affordable there wouldn't be as much piracy...?

Developers I like I send a small amount of money to directly. Usually indie.

18. RetroVortex

RetroVortex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2008
    Why don't they just release their games on Steam, and have the hard copies linked to Steam as well?

Why are these big companies so afraid of co-operating and use a proven decent method. (Rather than adding all that needless extra security which just clutters your average pc anyway, (not everyone has super pc's ya know!).

I'd rather buy my games of Steam, have the Steam app installed, and the ability to switch to offline mode if I wished. Its not a perfect system, (hey VALVE! I got other pc's too! Steam should really give you a multi-pc mode, (where one account can be used on 3 or 4 computers at once, but due to cd keys, only one game can be played online at a time!(unless the game has LAN play already))), but I would argue its the lesser of all these DRM evils.

19. Centimetro

Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, Steam seems to really help with sales too.

The Multi-PC thing is a thorn in my side, too. They should do soemthing about that. Maybe let you sign on to the same account at same time on multiple PCs so long as they're on the same IP address

20. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Just another example of why the gaming, movie and music industries need to go out of business. Just like most copy protection schemes, this does nothing to stop pirates, but it does worsen the experience and degrade the product for legitimate customers. Even if they were making the greatest games ever, they still wouldn't deserve to sell a single copy if they think it's acceptable to shit on their customers this way.