All-In-One Emulators?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Luriden, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Luriden
    OP

Luriden GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2008
    United States
    Topeka, KS
    So now that I've actually got a gaming PC worth a crap, I'd like to get emulators working on it. I've been dabbling with emulators here and there since the 90's, but just to play a game here and there. Now I'm trying to get the best-of-the-best emulators with complete romsets for every system I've been playing since I was a kid.

I've seen the lists here about the best emulators on PC, but now with applications like RetroArch, are single-console emulators a thing of the past? What's everyone using nowadays?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to control everything with my 360 controller (maybe even add the emulators as non-Steam game shortcuts in Steam), so some of these all-in-one emulators do sound appealing. I tried RetroArch though, and it looks hideous and is also lacking in features compared to standalone emulators. Is there a no-brainer go-to all-in-one emulator that everyone's using nowadays, or is it best to stick with the standalone emulators for each console?

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Retroarch is the only multi-emulator I've heard of (aside from things like visualboygx that play gameboy AND gameboy advance games). Considering it's open source, has so many plug-ins for emulators and is ported to so many systems, I can understand that they don't put visual appeal high on the priority list.

For now, I'd just stick to standalone emulators.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Stick with standalone emulator. They have higher compatibility anyway.

4. Luriden
    OP

Luriden GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2008
    United States
    Topeka, KS

I think the other ones I've been looking at are frontends, where you have it point to standalone emulators to launch the games. They look like a pain to configure though.

5. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Can wiflow be run at emulator?

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    thats doesnt even sound like an emulator, it suppose its an organizing software or "pointer" it is just a program which uses "open rom with .exe"

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There aren't any AIO emulators worth a damn at this point. RetroArch works pretty well for some of the older systems, but it doesn't compete with standalone emulators.

And here's a list of the (arguably) best emulators for a majority of the systems nowadays.

NES: FCEUX
    SNES: SNES9X
    GB/C/A: VBA
    Genesis/Master System: FUSION
    Dreamcast: nullDC/Chankast
    N64: Project 64/MUPEN 64
    PS1: ePSXe
    PS2: PCSX2
    GC/Wii: Dolphin
    Arcade: MAME

Your best bet is either using one of the many multi-system frontends out there, or just dealing with the emulators yourself.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Actually RetroArch does use the latest iterations of most of the standalone emulators. Snes9x 1.53 is used in the PC port, Genesis Plus is also one of the best (surpasses Kega Fusion last I heard as that's no longer being worked on), the others, well, yeah, they're quite good. I'm glad no one mentioned Zsnes lol. NES: Nestopia has been revived and I think it's now called Nestopia Undead or something like that, it has higher accuracy, and oddly enough, its requirements are actually not that high :P

9. MrEl

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States
    By the way, people say it will take another decade to play PS3 and xbox on PC...

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I would probably lower that down to maybe another 5 years until we get a good chunk of games that are playable. There are already PS3/360 emulators that can launch retail games (albeit 99% of them aren't playable at all).

RPCS3 and Xenia.

11. Ace Overclocked

Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Jul 30, 2010
    Italy
    Somewhere
    I know one that runs pretty much every emulatable system so far, it's a software but it's like steam, its store lets you download roms so i can't name it here. It's a software that compiles every emulator, lets you download games from inside the software without external sources. Pretty neat, kinda like a station for roms, look for it,

12. MrEl

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States

Really? I heard all they are fake, and only REAL emulator exist can run home-brews only, not retails.

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nope. RPCS3 and Xenia are both real and can launch a couple retail games. As said, they aren't exactly playable but they're on the right track.

14. MrEl

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States

OMG! That's so great! By the way, does that "launch" mean literally you can "launch" it? Or is that PLAYABLE? I know very high specs will require to actually emulate PS3/xbox system on pc.

15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot

16. MrEl

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States
    Oh I was just too excited there and missed it. Thank you for pointing it out for me :)

17. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    How bout a decent front end instead of an all in one? Hyperspin comes to mind. If not then retro arch is the only AIO I can think of.