All games going to black screen using USB loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by DMPugh, Sep 21, 2009.

Sep 21, 2009
  1. DMPugh
    OP

Newcomer DMPugh Advanced Member

Canada
    Just got an external HD in the mail today (A-Data Classic CH91 2.5" 320GB). Formatted using WBFS Manager and put some games on there. The problem is, every game I try out does not work. So far I've tried about ten different ISOs. I've tried 3 different loaders, and all net the same results.

Sometimes the games will just go straight to a black screen. Other times they will show the warning screen about making sure you have your Wiimote strapped on or whatever. There have been a few though that actually get somewhere. Metroid Prime Trilogy goes as far as letting me select a game, but once it gets to the loading screen, it goes to black. Punch-Out!! gave me a loading screen as well but just hanged indefinitely. Madworld got me to the title screen but once I went to start a game, black screen.

Any ideas on what is wrong? I used this guide to mod my Wii, and I am confident that I did everything correctly: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. slicer74

Member slicer74 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Do u have the LU64 Wii console ?
    Wich firmware of Wii u have ? Wii Firmware (not updated by Waninkoko)
    Wich cIOS do u have installed ?

3. Benjay

Member Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    first quesion should have been : which loader are you using ?
    looks like a 002 error.....

4. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    No on the LU64 Wii. This was bought used off someone who had a pre-existing Twilight Princess softmod. I just followed the guide I linked to in my original post and installed over whatever was done.

Firmware is 4.1U.

cIOS v14.

And I've tried Configurable USB Loader, USB Loader GX, and NeoGamma (all latest versions).

5. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    I actually did get a 002 error trying a game in USB Loader GX. When I tried the same game in Configurable USB Loader, I just got the regular black screen. Is this indicative of something?

6. slicer74

Member slicer74 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I would say, format the drive with windows in FAT32 format, then connect and run GX. Format when asked.

Install an original game using the Wii (WiiSport if possible, as it coma with any first release Wii).

7. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    cIOS and/or HDD issue. Try the suggested formatting stuff, but i would expect not being able to start games if that was your issue. Try different cIOS revisions, in this order: 14, 13a, 10, 9. To downgrade a cIOS, you need to delete IOS249 with AnyTitle Deleter before running the matching installer. (on cIOSrev9+10, you need a loader with anti 002 fix for some games)

A good alternative to Waninkoko's cIOS is Hermes IOS222, try it.

002 error looks like a blue sreen with 002 written in big letters(among other stuff) on the screen. You should know that, so why do you say this?

8. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    I just copied Super Mario Galaxy onto a dvd-r and it ran fine. I'm guessing this narrows things down quite a bit? I'm thinking it has to be the hard drive.

9. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    The plot has thickened.

I burned a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy and got it running through the alt-dol method. This prompted me to try it out on the external hd, and for some reason, it worked. I was playing Metroid Prime with no problems. I went to try Super Mario Galaxy over the HD, and it froze to a black screen.

So I'm thinking something is going wrong when I am putting the games onto my drive (using WBFS Manager 3.0). I'm just not sure what?

10. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

In this case, why not try a different WBFS application. Maybe WBFS Manager is having issues with the drive and the transfers. Try WBFS Intelligent GUI.

11. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Aren't all those different wbfs managers just different GUIs that use the same code to transfer stuff to the HDD?

Anyways, there is a VERY VERY old version of the wbfs manager that kills the installed games, when you "dare" to delete a game. If you had this one, everything should work, if you format and install games, and just never use the delete function.

To get the wbfs manager out of the list of possible error sources, format the drive, and add the not working games with a burned disc using an usb loader that supports installing games. If that does not work, it is a HDD/cIOS issue with a minimal chance of a formatting problem.

12. Benjay

Member Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    My apologizes , i guess i was tired ^^

13. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Cant be a hard drive issue if you were able to get MPT partially running. This should also rule out cIOS as an issue. That leaves settings for your USBLoader (unlikely given you can run MPT but perhaps worthwhile detailing what settings you have) and finally the actual files themselves not being ripped/transferred correctly to hard drive. How did you transfer them? Ripping of disc or transfer of downloaded ISO?

14. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

WBFS GUI utilizes Hermes modified WBFS code that added the support for add/extract in .ciso format. Also added an integrity check. WBFS manager is not built on that code.

15. Chemodile

Newcomer Chemodile Advanced Member

United States
    I'm also having this problem with a 40gb iPod hard drive hooked up through a 1.8" enclosure. I can format it and add games to it just fine on my PC, and USB loader will recognize it and show my list of games, but when I try to load one I either get a black screen or I get the health warning and then it freezes.

I've tried reformatting it to NTFS or FAT32 and letting USB loader do the formatting, but in that instance I get a ret-1 in Waninkoko's 1.1 loader and a code dump from GX.

I'm on 4.0 and I've tried cIOS revisions 9, 10, 12 and 14. With r12 the loader will recognize my hard drive immediately while on r14 I have to unplug it and plug it back in for the countdown to go away. Other than that nothing's different.

Here's the code dump if it means anything to anyone: http://i38.tinypic.com/34gaxj7.jpg

16. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    I tried installing my Super Mario Galaxy burned copy onto the external using USB Loader GX, and it says it installed correctly, but it doesn't show the game when I go to play it. Weird.

I've also tried several different WBFS loaders and all have given me the same problem.

Something I didn't mention is, I am on a Mac. I'm doing all the transferring in Windows XP through Boot Camp, but all my ISOs are stored on my Mac partition. So all I'm doing is having the WBFS programs point to my Mac partition and installing the games from there. Could that possibly be creating an issue?

Anyway, I'm gonna buy one of these guys today: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=2424
    It's rated very highly on the compatibility list, so I figured is this drive doesn't work, it will absolutely rule out an hd issue.

17. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    Just tried playing Super Mario Galaxy on my new Western Digital external hd (the one I linked to above, which has amazing compatibility): same issue.

My frustration grows.

18. trendicoff

Newcomer trendicoff Newbie

United States
    Please keep us posted, I have a nearly identical situation to yours but all of the games I installed over 3 or 4 weeks ago seem to work and all the new ones (not necessarily new rips) all give me black screens or hang at loading screens. Most recently Toy Story Mania (hangs at loading) and Ultimate Alliance 2 (just black screen)

19. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    Here's a guess: maybe I'm downloading games that are pre-scrubbed, and once they get scrubbed again with WBFS Manager, it messes them up somehow? I dunno. Just a shot in the dark.

I'm relatively sure Metroid Prime Trilogy wasn't scrubbed, but I have no way of verifying this.

20. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    I think I'm onto something. Just tried Elebits which I am pretty sure hadn't been scrubbed beforehand, and it loaded up fine.