Homebrew ALL 3 Methods to get unbanned from recent ban wave

Did this unban you and if so which method did?

• Total voters

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also really, what the hell could the devs have done with the freaking LFCS_B and NAND CID. These are not computers, they are 3DSes.
I guess they could impersonate you in some online games that don't use the NNID to sign in.

On the other hand, given how much of our personal data/life is already on the internet, I'd sorta understand why people want to cling to whatever private data they have, even if it's hugely inconsequential.

I just think we all oughta calm down, move on, and don't really blame anybody. The data has been purged, astro did a good thing by pointing out the stupidity, and the devs involved have had a good learning excercise in hashing content instead of directly uploading it. Now it's time to put down our pitchforks and get back to regular business.

Laexios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyone have a clue on which website I may find working public local friend code seed ? That chaos site seems to have only banned public local friend code seed.

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Anyone have a clue on which website I may find working public local friend code seed ? That chaos site seems to have only banned public local friend code seed.
That iso site, only thread that isn't UnbanMii's has UnbanMii's working seed 1 uploaded.

Reactions: Laexios

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's only been closed source since 2.0, which is when the malware was added.

What @mariogamer is asking is, why did the devs make it closed source in the first place, if not to cover the fact that it was being turned into malware?
As I said above, it's only been closed source since 2.0, which is when the malware was added

It's a question I'd like to see answered too.

I can only think of one legitimate reason to close a previously open source project, and I'm not giving the devs a "get out of jail free" card.
I believe that it was closed source so that people couldnt access the server and steal seeds that we're uploaded for the public to use and so they could not find the location of where the server was being hosted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe that it was closed source so that people couldnt access the server and steal seeds that we're uploaded for the public to use and so they could not find the location of where the server was being hosted.
As for those wondering about unbanmii a 2.1version is being made and will include no malware and a gui.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
What @mariogamer is asking is, why did the devs make it closed source in the first place, if not to cover the fact that it was being turned into malware?
As I said above, it's only been closed source since 2.0, which is when the malware was added

If I had to guess, the reason it was closed source was because of the server component. The server was running on a residential IP address, and a bit of poking around revealed that it was running on a raspberry pi (!). In addition, the server was not secured at all. This is likely why they closed sourced it. It's worth noting that the IP address was encrypted in the binary (using the previously mentioned xorpad), which is part of the reason I think that the server was the main reason for close sourcing it.

Somewhat worryingly though, @astronautlevel says he'd actually trust the dev of unbanmii over the themely dev... (though he's hardly impartial, he's working on his own theme homebrew:P)

Well, Sono has helped me out a lot with various projects, and in this incident was quick to take responsibility and didn't try to hide what he had done wrong. I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong, but he handled it about as well as you could have expected him to. Meanwhile, Erman has tried close sourcing a previously open source app twice, refused any offer to work with the community on a 3dsthem.es archive, has made rather racist remarks, openly defies staff of the Nintendo Homebrew discord, and all around is an immature shit. In addition, when the UnbanMii stuff went down, these were his comments:
Screenshot_2017-07-27-16-26-45-1.png

So yeah, I trust Sono way more than I trust him.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe I believe 2.1 is being mostly being developed by Paul (like 1.0 and 1.1) while 2.0 was mostly developed by sono/marcusD. But in the long run proably not due to server stuff that was explained in the previous post.

So essentially the said malware was implemented in the 2.0 release which MarcusD added to? Just wondering..

Edit: can the source not be open but without the server info too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So essentially the said malware was implemented in the 2.0 release which MarcusD added to? Just wondering..

Yeah they could have fixed it after it was brought to light how they messed up. I highly doubt anyone would trust a program from them again though.
Basically, this has turned into a witch hunt against the UnbanMii devs who did this "malware"

Also really, what the hell could the devs have done with the freaking LFCS_B and NAND CID. These are not computers, they are 3DSes.

A witch hunt? The devs are the one's who lit their own fire by writing malware (I don't see why you used quotes, it's malware by definition) I realize a 3DS isn't a PC but for all intents and purposes it is a mini computer/console which can hold personal identifying information as well as unique console info.

I've seen people keep .txt files, edited HomeMenus with personal info (addresses/phone numbers) in case of lost consoles, stored credit card info in eShop, etc. Not to mention of course the private console unique info that was being stolen.

If they got your personal unbanned seed, they could have sold it to many different people, which could get your $200 console hyperbanned (worst case with stealing seeds/moveable/sed/Secureinfo. But if it could steal that from the console while downloading to your SD card, it could definitely see any personal info floating around if it was written to.

I'm sorry but to me that is a pretty big deal. I mean, no it didn't go that far but I don't know these guys from adam so it very well could have. How would you feel if you had your private info, stored on your PERSONAL console, stolen, then sold and or used? Would you still be calling it a witch hunt then?

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes marcusD was the one who implemented the malware. Maybe I would have to talk to the devs...

xXPaulMCXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because it's only been closed source since 2.0, which is when the malware was added.

It's a question I'd like to see answered too.

I can only think of one legitimate reason to close a previously open source project, and I'm not giving the devs a "get out of jail free" card.
well, actually it was already closed source with 1.1, which only happened to at least try to hide the server *a bit*.
but we all know that the "malware" code was added in 2.0, so the closed source was not because of that

Reactions: gamemasteru03

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's a good thing I never used UnbanMii and never planned to. Because for one thing, it uses public LocalFriendCodeSeed_B signatures, and that in itself is a huge risk to take than using a private one. If Nintendo starts catching up on this, they could start issuing out even worse bans than the ones they're currently handing out.

Just remember, if you think something is too good to be true, it usually is. But sometimes it takes a bit of research to find out what goes on in the software's code. Always use software on your 3DS that is open source.

The last thing anyone would want, is actual full console bans and/or even updating their server to better detect changing LocalFriendCodeSeed_B signatures, so that the user would remain banned, even if they modified their LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file. At least for now, Nintendo is only issuing Friend Code bans, but that will change in the future, and we know it will, and I'm very wary that it will.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to be clear, Unbanmii 2.0 is now regarded as an illegal program here on GBAtemp. Do not link to, or provide a download for said .cia. This is to protect our users from accidental malware.
Why? The server has been shut down, users couldn't even get their data uploaded if they wanted to. Not that there is much reason to share the .cia file, but I think it's rather pointless to block it, since it doesn't even work anymore.

As a follow up: Does this include future versions of unbanmii? I know at least one of the devs has expressed interest in creating a new tool that will not act as malware.

xXPaulMCXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why? The server has been shut down, users couldn't even get their data uploaded if they wanted to. Not that there is much reason to share the .cia file, but I think it's rather pointless to block it, since it doesn't even work anymore.

As a follow up: Does this include future versions of unbanmii? I know at least one of the devs has expressed interest in creating a new tool that will not act as malware.
I was that [emoji12]

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I understand this might be pointless hindsight but server or no, malware is malware.

I will not pass judgement on on a newer version of unbanmii until it has come to pass. If the new software is "legal" or not will be determined by that software.

Unbanmii 2.0 is dead and should not be used or discussed.

kinghearts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Quick questions I been thinking of using method 3 to unban myself well here's the thing:If I do It I won't lose the games on my 3ds(some were gotten by freeshop and others by CIA)or the DLC???and also if I unban with this can I download the latest Pokemon Sun events,battle online,play Smash online,visit other people's castle in Fates or do I leave all of this things alone to not get banned again???

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn