Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
RoyalCardMan said:
But, one thing I don't get is why people think aliens are going to be these big blobs of what ever they are and are mean and green.
That's simple, for the most part humans are ignorant, conceited, and think we're the best things in the universe. Why do you think we treat all other animals like their lower class pieces of crap?
And I am not even going to bring up the debate of children's rights.

Well, might as well. Sometimes children are treated like lower class pieces of crap. Back in the day, and still now, while the adults got the delicious meals, the children had to eat food like they were poor.

So it isn't always the animals being treated like lower class. Also, I will have to say that dogs, and other animals, are sometimes spoiled, sorry to say. Some animals are even treated like humans, so the fact you bring up animals is debatable.

There are some children though who get great care. So, it isn't the human race, it is the person themselves.

Edit: And, not all humans are the same. I always thought aliens were going to be like us(maybe a little different, but not much). For the most part, I think the government, the media itself, has always tried to brain wash children into thinking aliens were evil green men, especially when they release movies like Alien or Alien vs. Predator. I mean, yes other lifeforms could be evil, but I always have the system of "Innocent till proven guilty". It almost seems like we are discriminating anything that has to do with aliens(unless of course you are talking about illegal-aliens).

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:
AlanJohn said:
Mantis41 said:
Both were reported to be a hoax.
I am guessing your the type of person who just believes people right off the bat.
closedeyes.gif
I'm guessing you’re young and missed the sarcasm.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
RoyalCardMan said:
AlanJohn said:
Mantis41 said:
Both were reported to be a hoax.
I am guessing your the type of person who just believes people right off the bat.
closedeyes.gif
I'm guessing you’re young and missed the sarcasm.
That was sarcasm? Didn't seem like it was.

And I am not young. Now please, let us get rid of the arguments here, if we don't want to get off topic.

Edit: I am also guessing that your young because we mature people don't use much sarcasm anymore. We get the point across.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I'm not so sure a debate about the existence of intelligent life on other planets is the correct place to be talking about God (the 'made in Gods image' part really irritates me about this particular branch of religion, if it were remotely true, we would all look the same. We don't, people from different parts of the world look quite different from each other). Many religious people (perhaps not the teachings) believe Earth to be the only planet in the entire Universe that could possible have intelligent life on it. I think that that particular view is a little old fissioned for the world we currently live in. As for the talk about aliens being 'animals' I would like to remind you that we are all animals. We, as humans are no better or 'higher' than the rest of the creatures on this or any other planet. Your argument about animals running on instinct rather than knowledge I can only interoperate as being wrong. Every animal shows signs of intelligence and is more than capable of using their past experience to influence future decisions. They learn that some actions lead to good outcomes and others to bad ones. Personally, I feel that any aliens that are in a similar position to us (as humans) will probably look similar to us, the evolutionary process has ensured that our bodies are quite efficient (no perfect you will note) and it stands to reason, that bipeds with two arms, a bunch of fingers, front-facing eyes etc. is the result of a good evolutionary process on any other planet too. However, the technology, or rather the understanding required to travel the vast distances between stars would suggest that it is unlikely that we would be visited by aliens. For a start, if life is sparse in the universe, it would be unlikely that they would even find us, never mind going out of their way to come and have a look.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do I believe there are other intelligent animals out there in the universe capable of the amazing shit we are capable of then yes. In fact with how vast just the observable universe is I think it's pretty much a certainty. Do I think they are coming here and anally probing drunk hicks, mutilating cattle, making crop circles, putting on pretty aerial light shows etc... then no, not in the slightest.

I do think though that there is a good chance that the universe just isn't old enough yet for anything to be more advanced than us, at least by a major or non cosmetic amount. They may say already have fusion power, which isn't something we can't do just something we haven't got around to. Or they may just have more flashy looking tech in general use, or it's their fashion to have it all more visible. Like say parts of Asia look more high tech than anywhere else in the world but they aren't actually more advanced than the big European countries or North America.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1234turtles said:
they're real
didnt they find livings organisms on mars

Nope. They thought they found a fossilised nematode on a sample of rock from an asteroid that was a part of Mars, but back then electron microscopes had to have their samples coated in a thin gold film, in the same way DIY ones can only pick up metal objects, and that made a normal looking feature in the sample look like a worm.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
spinal_cord said:
I'm not so sure a debate about the existence of intelligent life on other planets is the correct place to be talking about God (the 'made in Gods image' part really irritates me about this particular branch of religion, if it were remotely true, we would all look the same. We don't, people from different parts of the world look quite different from each other).
I'm not Christian and definitely don't believe this, but you seem to be missing the point. I think that the whole "in God's image part" means God has a similar body to humans. Like arms, legs, etc. Or maybe I'm understanding it wrong. Maybe it's to be taken in a more psychological way. In example, God, I presume, likes to create, which is something every human likes. We are all creative in some way(painting, inventing, etc). Maybe I'm just over-analyzing this. I'm just pretty sure it's not be taken like you did though.

spinal_cord said:
As for the talk about aliens being 'animals' I would like to remind you that we are all animals. We, as humans are no better or 'higher' than the rest of the creatures on this or any other planet. Your argument about animals running on instinct rather than knowledge I can only interoperate as being wrong. Every animal shows signs of intelligence and is more than capable of using their past experience to influence future decisions. They learn that some actions lead to good outcomes and others to bad ones.
While I agree with most of this, I must say humans, by being in possession of a significantly more developed brain, granting us more advanced cognitive functions, are "superior" to animals in that regard. I'm not saying other, perhaps slightly less developed, animals are unimportant and disposable, quite the contrary. But it must be acknowledged that we, as a specie, are superior to other earthly species as far as intelligence is concerned.

QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Jul 22 2011, 03:08 AM)
Personally, I feel that any aliens that are in a similar position to us (as humans) will probably look similar to us, the evolutionary process has ensured that our bodies are quite efficient (no perfect you will note) and it stands to reason, that bipeds with two arms, a bunch of fingers, front-facing eyes etc. is the result of a good evolutionary process on any other planet too.
While it is quite possible that a sentient alien life-form might have followed a similar evolutionary path, due to evolutionary convergence, it is also a possibility that they evolved very differently from us. Truth be told, we have no idea what a sentient alien life-form could look like.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
I do think though that there is a good chance that the universe just isn't old enough yet for anything to be more advanced than us, at least by a major or non cosmetic amount.

Wow. The Universe is quite accurately estimated to be about 13.7 billion years old, and Earth is about 4.55 billion years old with out solar system being around 4.7 billion years old. This gives a really huge chance that we are in no way the first 'intelligent' planet, even if there is a life supporting planet just 1 million years older than earth, just think how much we could evolve in 1 million years. Humans have only been around for about 50 thousand years and look how far we have come! Even if an alien planet is 50 thousand years older than earth, we would be like cave men to them.

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Nice topic .............

i am not 100% sure that aliens are there
but there are chances that they exist !

If there are aliens they must be asking this very question too !
maybe posting this on their GBAtemp
tongue.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
Wow. The Universe is quite accurately estimated to be about 13.7 billion years old, and Earth is about 4.55 billion years old with out solar system being around 4.7 billion years old. This gives a really huge chance that we are in no way the first 'intelligent' planet, even if there is a life supporting planet just 1 million years older than earth, just think how much we could evolve in 1 million years. Humans have only been around for about 50 thousand years and look how far we have come! Even if an alien planet is 50 thousand years older than earth, we would be like cave men to them.

And while that may sound like a long time it happened to take a long time for the universe to "evolve" to the state that a star like ours, and therefore a solar system like ours, could exist. Ie enough heavy elements about. In fact the Sun is believed to be one of the first generation of such stars. And then there's how long it takes for life to start off at all. About 1 billion years in the case of the Earth. And it was only about 550 million years ago that complex life started to happen. And while homo sapiens have only being around for about 200,000 years, actual definite human species have being around much longer. We did not start from scratch. And how long has it being that society has moved on to the point that progress has being constant and not taking generations for each tiny improvement? 200-300 years? And things seem to be slowing down again of late, yes? It's not life evolving to a certain point that leads to things getting very advanced either, it's societies. All these other things have to "evolve" or progress to a point where a society can start.

While 13.7 billion years sounds a lot, as far as the evolution of the universe goes it still hasn't crawled out of the primordial soup.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
spinal_cord said:

And while that may sound like a long time it happened to take a long time for the universe to "evolve" to the state that a star like ours, and therefore a solar system like ours, could exist. Ie enough heavy elements about. In fact the Sun is believed to be one of the first generation of such stars. And then there's how long it takes for life to start off at all. About 1 billion years in the case of the Earth. And it was only about 550 million years ago that complex life started to happen. And while homo sapiens have only being around for about 200,000 years, actual definite human species have being around much longer. We did not start from scratch. And how long has it being that society has moved on to the point that progress has being constant and not taking generations for each tiny improvement? 200-300 years? And things seem to be slowing down again of late, yes? It's not life evolving to a certain point that leads to things getting very advanced either, it's societies. All these other things have to "evolve" or progress to a point where a society can start.

While 13.7 billion years sounds a lot, as far as the evolution of the universe goes it still hasn't crawled out of the primordial soup.

That doesn't in any way mean that we are the first, or even the quickest to evolve. There is no real reason to suppose that we are.

[edit] double post got merged[/edit]

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
There are aliens on Hayley's comet.
Although I probably need to lurkmoar.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
[snip...]
That doesn't in any way mean that we are the first, or even the quickest to evolve. There is no real reason to suppose that we are.

QUOTE(cwstjdenobs @ Jul 22 2011, 08:27 AM) I do think though that there is a good chance that the universe just isn't old enough...

I wasn't trying to say it must be so, was just saying there's a good chance we're about as good as it could of got so far. Nor was I saying we are definitely the first, but we sure are among the first. To the best of our knowledge you can only do chemistry as complex as life needs with carbon. That means you could only get life around stars about the same age as our sun or newer, with planets like ours around them. Life would need the same conditions, so blah blah blah and so on the physics basically says that for any life bearing planet, that could sustain life for long enough for it to evolve into complex life, to form and get to the point where the life can start on it will always take about the same time or longer. After that point, sure I guess once life starts it could somehow come across certain conditions that allow it to evolve much faster, but why would that make them more advanced? The biological evolution is not so important when you consider that intelligence isn't a good survival trait when compared to size, strength, population growth etc.

If there is other intelligent technology using life in the universe this is the only way it could be out there and us not picking it up yet unless you somehow only get one such species per galaxy. If they where there first, and such a long time before us they could become much more advanced than us, where's their TV commercials?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Aliens do exist, I'm certain of it. With all the planets in just our galaxy alone, at least one other must have life of some kind on it. But I doubt we'll see them any time soon. Why would they want to visit a species that allows Rebecca Black to be classed as a singer? Or Paris Hilton as a celebrity? They're looking down on us from the stars thinking 'Wow, what a bunch of fucktards'. Let's work on getting rid of the flaws in this civilisation before we go looking for another one to fuck up, shall we? Besides, the way we are at the moment, first contact with any alien race would inevitably go badly wrong. It'd be like that episode of Star Trek Enterprise 'In A Mirror Darkly'. We were SUPPOSED to greet the alien and usher in a new era of peace and exploration. But instead we shoot them for being slightly different to us and fuck everything up. In reality it'd be some inbred redneck banging on about how he was 'abducted', shooting aliens for 'revenge'. You KNOW that's how it'd happen.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I believe that where not alone, since the chance of a star having a planet in the habbitable zone is about 3% (and there are billions of stars in our galaxy).
But I DON'T believe that aliens visited us on flying saucers and the USSR & USA covered it all up.
Also I don't believe that their are intelligent extra-terristrial life forms on Zeta Reticuli or on its planet Reticulum 4 (which probably doesn't even exist).

Sop said:
There are aliens on Hayley's comet.
Although I probably need to lurkmoar.
*facepalm*

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes I believe the chances of there being life outweighs the chances of there not being any out there.
I doubt we'll ever see them in person though. Who knows, we may even get radio signals at some point.

Kind of dwarfs our mundane human lives and problems in perspective...

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I believe in Aliens and I am 100% sure there is intelligent Alien life out there. But chances we find them in the next 500 years or so, are close to 0 percent.
I would really love to see Alien life (who wouldn't?) but the methods to search and find them are currently too slow to find them. I really wish the whole world would really invest TOGETHER in new methods and research to explore the Universe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @SylverReZ