Alien: Isolation announced for PC, PS4, and Xbox One

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Hey, guys, remember Aliens: Colonial Marines?

[​IMG]

Oh. Ohhhhh. Oh.

Well, here's another game from the Alien franchise that's not related in any way, shape, or form to that.
    :arrow:Joystiq

On the one hand, I'm not sure if anything like this has really been attempted with the Alien franchise before. Usually Aliens is the go-to inspiration, and as much as I love Aliens, seeing a game go solely for the claustrophobic horror of the first film is definitely interesting. Plus, there's no multiplayer, which is good for something like this. On the other hand, it's being developed by Creative Assembly, a team a) without any real FPS or horror experience, and b) responsible for this. Not only that, the protagonist is Ellen Ripley's daughter, which... why?

Seriously, why? What is the point? What are you doing?

Look forward to Rape Symbolism: The Video Game by the end of this year.

T Link7 and Veho like this.
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Dammit Gahars your opening made me fucking worried we were getting another piece of junk game :angry:

3. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    As much as I enjoy the fact that they're trying something new with the franchise, I can't picture this working out just yet.

Alien works as a 2 hour movie. A single alien through an entire singleplayer campaign? It sounds like 10-20 hours of jump scares and fetch quests...

4. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    This one looks really awesome! And NO Multiplayer!

5. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    a) no real horror or FPS experience
    b) looks at picture

And I was going to say something about the no experience thing, but then I realized you people want games to be made in a specific way and the only ones who can do that are the ones with experience. I mean, there's no way a company barely a few years old could make a quality horror game.

Edit: *Watches trailer* Wow, I'm surprised it's not coming to the Wii U. This is the kind of game that would appeal to North American gamers. I guess Nintendo really is that stupid.

6. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Not after the last game Sega. Ya I know the blame is 90% not your's but still.

7. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Amnesia-like game in the Aliens universe.
    My god, no.
    Just no.

8. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    is this the same series that was initially on the snes as a side scroller?

9. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    As long as this doesn't take years more to develop then i'm interested. Hopefully a 2014-2015 release date

10. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

...Or maybe the inexperience is worrying because this sort of thing (atmospheric horror centered around a single enemy) is extremely difficult for experienced teams to pull off, let alone teams that have zero familiarity with first person mechanics or horror. Not to mention that their last title was a bug-ridden disaster that's still being fixed months after release.

Nobody said that it was impossible that they'd succeed, but inexperience means that the odds aren't in their favor.

What are you even trying to argue? The Creative Assembly has been around since 1989, and with only two exceptions (a Rugby game and a port of a Sonic collection) they've produced nothing but RTS games since the year 2000.

When you only make a certain type of game for 14 years straight, a complete shift in genre and tone is going to raise eyebrows.

11. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I was being sarcastic; but you thought I was actually trying to argue something? Well now; so, how hard is it really to make a horror game? Scary music, dark sounds, bright flashes of lights; it's almost like a stealth game. You've got to sneak around or else be tackled by hundreds of monsters and have your brain sucked out. You're also inadvertently describing the lack of creativity in the game industry. You don't plan a horror game; it just... happens. The storyboards center around expanding this idea, But the idea must be conceived in your mind. About the bug-ridden disaster: bugs happen. The point is that they're fixing it. Better late than never, I always say. And you can always get the fixed version after it's been repaired if you're still interested in the game.
    Of course it would. Can you imagine if a company that strictly made RPGs suddenly started working on a dance game?

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Naw man, it's just that niche, not really wel-known comic and movie series. :tpi:

13. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Please stop. You're giving me an aneurysm.

14. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Okay. Sorry; just sayin'... plus this game looks cool anyway.

15. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    calmwaters: professional video game developer.

Horror games (and movies) are much harder to make than you think, good ones at that.

16. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I am concerned that the Alien franchise has been so over-utilized that the Xenomorphs just aren't/can't be scary anymore.

17. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    With Dead Space being... Dead and all, maybe this is all we have to look forward to in the space horror genre. Then again, it might be for the wrong reasons too.