Hacking AK2 question board

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since there were so many forums created about "questions about the acekard 2i" I thought I should create this one forum where everyone could post questions they had about the AK. If everyone would post in it, it would save lots of space on the forum. Happy posting!

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Umm... Isn't this entire forum for asking questions about the AceKard? Nice try for a sticky
wink.gif

Anywho, since this is already here, and I'm posting, I might as well ask my questions!

Is this a fake/clone? It just seems so darn cheap! I mean, it's like £12.50, and on some UK sites (like eBay, for example) they're more than double that! Is the site reliable? Do they offer refunds etc if your goods are faulty? If anyone in the UK, or Europe, has bought from there, how long has it taken to arrive?

Are 8GB Micro SDHC cards just as reliable and usable with the AceKard 2i as normal 1GB Micro SD cards?

I don't really understand this 9 save slots thing. What's it like, how does it work, and does it work well?

There's all this mumbo jumbo about save files, but I'm assuming it supports the normal .sav files created by an R4?

What are the main differences between AKAIO and official firmware? I know there's a wiki, I have read it all. But it doesn't say what it has to offer that the official firmware does not.

I'm truly sorry about all these questions, I've just come from the land of R4s
smile.gif
I have read other posts and searched around, but as per usual the internet has contradicted itself.

megahog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot answer all of your questions. But, I did notice that the packaging for your AK2i does NOT have the the "DSi compatible" sticker. I do not know if this a clone alert or not. Here is a link to packaging with the sticker:

http://www.stuffs4kids.com/Acekard_2i_p/acekard2i.htm

And as for the SDHC cards. They should all be supported - regardless of size. The main factor is the class/speed of the card. The higher the class the better. I would get an 8 gb class 6 at the minimum - but that is just me.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
megahog said:
I cannot answer all of your questions. But, I did notice that the packaging for your AK2i does NOT have the the "DSi compatible" sticker. I do not know if this a clone alert or not. Here is a link to packaging with the sticker:

http://www.stuffs4kids.com/Acekard_2i_p/acekard2i.htm

And as for the SDHC cards. They should all be supported - regardless of size. The main factor is the class/speed of the card. The higher the class the better. I would get an 8 gb class 6 at the minimum - but that is just me.

Thanks! I can't seem to find any class six ones from my favorite memory card makers (SanDisk). They all seem to be class two.

But I'll continue to look, as always.

megahog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I think SanDisk is losing the race in terms of making ultra-fast SDHC cards. From what I have learned from these forums - Transcend and A-DATA are the two leading manufacturers for class 6's.

Agent007

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
depends if they change the code how they will run ds games ... if they do that, acekard said they wouldn't fix it i think

megahog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but if AceKard will not provide a new loader, isn't this where unofficial firmware such AKAIO comes in to save the day?

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
megahog said:
but if AceKard will not provide a new loader, isn't this where unofficial firmware such AKAIO comes in to save the day?

Cat and Mouse with Nintendo and The Acekard/AKAIO team?
tongue.gif

Anyway, about those Micro SD Cards. I've found some Transcend ones, but has anyone experienced any problems? Are they better than SanDisk/Kingston ones?

Cheers!

Posts merged

QUOTE(megahog @ Apr 14 2009, 09:23 PM) but if AceKard will not provide a new loader, isn't this where unofficial firmware such AKAIO comes in to save the day?

Cat and Mouse with Nintendo and The Acekard/AKAIO team?
tongue.gif

Anyway, about those Micro SD Cards. I've found some Transcend ones, but has anyone experienced any problems? Are they better than SanDisk/Kingston ones?

Cheers!

megahog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up buying a 16 GB Transcend micro SDHC Class 6. I searched "transcend" in these forums, and I noticed that there were a lot of good reviews for them. Furthermore, the reviews for their 16 GB regular-sized SD card on Amazon were almost 5 stars - and there were about 350 ratings. So, I concluded that they run pretty good. I do not think SanDisk or Kingston have any good class 6's, but I may be wrong.

Briankealing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShatteredScreens said:
Umm... Isn't this entire forum for asking questions about the AceKard? Nice try for a sticky
wink.gif

Anywho, since this is already here, and I'm posting, I might as well ask my questions!

IS this a fake/clone? It just seems so darn cheap! I mean, it's like £12.50, and on some UK sites (like eBay, for example) they're more than double that! Is the site reliable? Do they offer refunds etc if your goods are faulty? If anyone in the UK, or Europe, has bought from there, how long has it taken to arrive?

Are 8GB Micro SDHC cards just as reliable and usable with the AceKard 2i as normal 1GB Micro SD cards?

I don't really understand this 9 save slots thing. What's it like, how does it work, and does it work well?

There's all this mumbo jumbo about save files, but I'm assuming it supports the normal .sav files created by an R4?

What are the main differences between AKAIO and official firmware? I know there's a wiki, I have read it all. But it doesn't say what it has to offer that the official firmware does not.

I'm truly sorry about all these questions, I've just come from the land of R4s
smile.gif
I have read other posts and searched around, but as per usual the internet has contradicted itself.

Gah! So many!

1. No, that is legit. I buy from that site all the time. It is the cheapest place to buy any Acekard available.
2. Well, normal SD cards are always the most stable - SDHC's should work but use at your own risk.
3. Essentially, the AK gives you 9 save slots. I think it works by making multiple .sav's with different names. I haven't tried myself yet.
4. You'll find out once you get AKAIO.

CODEQuestions complete.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers! I think I may get one before I even get my DSi!!
biggrin.gif

But I would sure like to here from someone about this 9 save slot feature. Do you basically select which save you want to use before you load your game? Letting you have a save for yourself, a cheat save, a save for a friend etc on a game such as Pokemon, which really only allows one save in-game?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@megahog: if you try it in akaio report back how it works. i have yet to find confirmation on if the 16gb cards work or not. i read a few posts were people said they do not work under akaio.

@anaxs: the portion of the flash linker which is running the exploit is not related to the firmware. updating akaio/official loaders would solve nothing if nintendo decides to block the exploit.

@ShatteredScreens: i have 3 transcend 8gb class6 cards, all work great. norm is also using the same card. roms have 1 save file, akaio offers more. you can select to use a different slot and thus have multiple saves per rom on one msd. its as simple as that, give it a try =).

-another world

megahog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yikes - I never really thought about having problems with this 16gb card I ordered with AKAIO. I have yet to receive the card - my fingers are crossed - I'll let everyone know if the 16gb is friendly or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome