Ah crap...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by 8BitWalugi, May 29, 2010.

May 29, 2010

Ah crap... by 8BitWalugi at 4:52 AM (1,891 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Alright, some may remember me as asking for help burning PSX games recently.

Well, I was browsing the forum and read about the possibility of my PSX's laser starting to die. So I tested some of the games I had thought had failed to burn correctly in ePSXe and what do you know, they worked.

But on my PSX, they don't. My old backups work fine, but I think that could be because they're older disks.

Is it possible to get the laser repaired even if the PSX is chipped?

2. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

Sony, cut their support on PSX consoles. So you gotta go repair to a appliance technician.

There's a laser adjustment on it (inaccessible for all users, gotta rip off the laser first before you can do anything to it). I already adjusted my laser, little stronger on laser light. I still got my Old Phat PSX console.

If your PSX console is totally dead,(and no available technician for you to repair it) your option is to buy PS2 or PS3 console (both can play PSX games) or maybe PSP.

3. flamingo24

Member flamingo24 GBAtemp Regular

A real simple and free method to fix skipping FMV or Logo Freeze is to tweak the pot.

[​IMG]

All you need is a slight turn either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

clockwise = increase laser power
    counter-clockwise = decrease laser power

You can't miss the pot, you will see it immediately after you open the ps1 console. It's part of the ribbon going to the motherboard. I would start with a extremely slight turn clockwise.

Best Regards

4. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Yikes. That looks hard...

What do I need? Just a standard Phillips head?
    Also, could you link a step by step picture tutorial on cracking open a PSX?

5. flamingo24

Just turn the console on it's belly, using a Phillips screw driver remove the 5 or 6 (depending on model) screws on the bottom, than turn up right and lift off the top. The adjustment itself requires a thin tiny non magnetic screw driver. btw I've only done adjustments on Phat PS1, Phat PS2, & Gamecube consoles. The Slim PS1 I have no experience with not even a mod install.

6. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Hmm... alright.

Still, could you post pics? I don't want to screw this up...

Also, how much should I turn it?

BTW, I have a Phat.

7. flamingo24

The quality of the pictures is not good (Phone 1.3mp), but it shouldn't interfere with the results.

1) Make certain you do not have a anything plugged into the ports or a disc in the drive

2) Flip over console and unscrew the 5 or 6 screws.

[​IMG] = SCPH-1001
    [​IMG] = SCPH-5501

3) Turn upright and gently lift the top of the case off the bottom. Preferably with one hand on each side... Since I was also taking a picture...heh.

[​IMG]

4) You see that silver circular thing, highlighted with a circle? Just turn it very slightly to the right and place top back on w/o screws and test, until you get the results you want.

[​IMG]

8. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Ah. Thank you. Now, one last question,

What happens if I turn it too far to the right?

9. flamingo24

It's possible the laser will fry for good. In my experience on the occasion I have over adjusted the worst that happened was it wouldn't boot to logo, instead cd player; Just turn it back counter clockwise to its previous position. Its not a bad idea to mark the original setting since we are doing this w/o a volt meter. Again I have never fried the laser on the occasion I have over positioned. Just make sure the adjustments are small extremely slight turns.

10. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    What if it freezes on the Playstation Logo?

EDIT: OMFG! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU FLAMINGO!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wait, the intro cut scene for Gundam Battle Assault 2 is freezing occasionaly. I've read about this, what was the problem again?

Edit 2: What a buzzkill. Now it DOESN'T work. [​IMG]

Edit 3: Christ, what's going on. My bro put in Digimon Rumble Arena (Retail), got to the language select screen, turned off, swapped to GBA2 (Backup) and it worked. What's happening? Should I tighten it some more?

11. flamingo24

Is it not already doing this? Just keep turning it until you get it right and the games & backups boot and work fine.

Edit: Yeah give it another super extremely slight turn clockwise, or get better media like Verbatim. Actually I would just go with better media at this point, it could also have been the swap timing. Since the video is choppy with Verbatim go for it and make a small (extremely small_) adjustment. [​IMG] If anything like I said just revert it back if over adjusted.

You can burn faster than 1x, the cd-r will have better defined pseudo grooves imprinted on the dye but 1x is not necessary. I usually burn @ 8x.

12. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Yeah I'm turning it SLIGHTLY, and I am using Verbatim, by the way.

EDIT: It's not that big a deal, but hey, everything else works, so why fsck with it?

Might re-adjust it if I need to in the near future though...

Also, does the burn speed matter when burning PSX games? 1x is reaaaaaaaaly annoying...

13. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

adjust the laser till you get better results..

just to remind you that dont adjust too high the laser, or your disc might got fucked up. Laser are design to burn things, so a little precaution for you.