Afterthoughts of MOTHER 3

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Alerek, Oct 30, 2008.

Oct 30, 2008

Afterthoughts of MOTHER 3 by Alerek at 2:22 PM (3,271 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Alerek
    OP

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ahh. So I've been a fan of this series since 1995. Waited and waited and waited for the patch, nearly had a heart attack when it dropped, and now it's been all said and done (a week ago, actually...)

Overall, this is a fantastic game. Easily on my top five of GBA, and I think its probably going to make it to my top 10 evar. All throughout though, It seemed like it was missing something Zero and EB had. I came to the conclusion that this void I was sensing lied in the non-open world vs. EB. However, I did realize that it was the only way to have the story flow like it did, in the nifty chapter format. As far as story is concerned, its much meatier than its predecessors, and can pull those heartstrings a hell of a lot more.

Before the patch, I played through until roughly chapter 3, so I had SOME idea of what was going on in the first chapter. I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did, but being able to read what people are saying helps a lot. I've experienced that loss in real life, so I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up a bit during chapter 6.

I guess the only complaint I can really have about the game is that Flint's character wasn't nearly as developed as I had expected. Dude goes looking for Claus, then re-appears at the end just to get his ass kicked. I was hoping he'd be more of a badass or something I guess.

Rambling at this point. Discussion!

2. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    I still haven't finished it. I feel the same void, a missing link. I can't place my finger on it, but I think it might have to do with the actual gameplay. I felt like it was more grind intensive then Eartbound. I still have to reserve my judgment on the game though, because I'm only on chapter 5 or something.

3. Rowan

Member Rowan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i like it i like the fighting style not like pokeman wen you have to wait for hp to go to zero you can stop guys from fainting

love it

4. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Still need to complete it,but loving it so far.

Might start again though,It's been days since I last played and can't remember what's going on.

5. Alerek
    OP

United States
    I wanted it to be longer, but it did take about 20 hours, so I guess I can't really ask for more.

Theres a point in chapter 8 where a lot of questions get answered, and that's when I really fell in love with these new characters.

Mato & Team did such a fantastic job with this...I wasn't expecting it to be as epic as it turned out to be.

6. Earthbound2

Newcomer Earthbound2 Member

United States
    congrats to them. It was an amazing game. I owned porky and (sadly) Claus.. Has anyone read the Itoi interview in the main translation page? Someehre in part 2, the rumour of Ness being Flint is tackled.. Itoi tells you to keep talking to Flint in the last scene (right after his hat flies off) and he'll say something (He said this under the question of Ness & Flint so I thought it was relevevant). So far, all I got was him saying he's fine and he tried to beat the "Porky" inside of Claus but obviously failed. And then something about him telling you you're persistent and his head being bald as a bean, and right after he says something like 'saying that's a bad way to put it isn't very nice. You've turned so bitter!'

So far nothing about Ness.. For me, in the order of events described above, I had to talk to him the second, seventh, and eighth time.. Trying to find more.

Anyway, the final battle is a killer. I almost wanted to lose to Claus on purpose.. And what he did as the final move which was directed at you but ultimately was the end of his self.. Wow. That just stabbed me.

I Also loved the fact that they put in "A Certain Someone's Memories" in a room (The boat ride!) and as a song, along with the "Time Passage" song where it plays EB0's intro music..

Brings back amazingly soft yet sad memories.

I Sort of feel sad for Porky though. He basically ended his own life by jumping into that chunk of metal. Haha "Whee!" Dr.Andonuts has fun rolling Porky around..

7. Trilkin

Newcomer Trilkin Member

United States
    The entire game is so much sadder than the others, I think. As soon as Humoresque of a Little Dog started playing, though, I suddenly realized why I hate that song. It's as annoying and addicting a Banana Phone.

I don't feel sorry for Porky though. He was asking for it.

8. Alerek
    OP

United States
    Porky has to be considered some sort of genius, for being some random punk kid who was in the right place at the right time, to score himself a time machine and reign with terror in multiple time periods, presumably.

As for the Flint is Ness theory, the times match up pretty well....I believe Pokey is supposed to be an old man, and...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Absolutely loving it so far, can't stop playing it. Also, the boss in Brawl (in the SSE) called Porky which resembled that fat kid in the village has slightly ruined the story for me ¬¬.

So far though, I like this more than EarthBound. EarthBound never quite gripped me like this is, though of course it is a great game.

Can't wait to see how this ends [​IMG].

10. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I like it, but i prefer Golden Sun [​IMG]

11. Earthbound2

United States
    To be honest... Perfectly, exposedly honest.. I'd prefer Earthbound over Mother 3.. Yes, mother 3 is more realistic and it brings up so many questions. But there's just this.. vibe. This.. inexplicable aura of Earthbound that just grasps me wholesomely any I can't deny it. I just love Earthbound so much. The way you have to rescue Paula, the way Jeff uses the SkyRunner after hearing Paula's distant prayers, The morning birds in the chirping hotel, the random and sudden appearance of Poo, the 'resemblance of a pig wearing clothes' first appearance, Buzz Buzz, Giygas' sad story, the Mani Mani statue, Moonside, the REAL Monkey and girlfriend..

Also. sorry if this seems spoilerish but I think Mother 3 is in the past and Earthbound is in the future. Reasons:
    • Tazmily looks so old-fashioned and bland. It looks like a small village (in the beginning) with nearly no civilization.
    • Everytime you talk to, say, a Pigmask Tank, they say something about it being an odd vehicle
    • PK Moves were harder to develop since they were still new and not well learned
    • It clearly says in the game somewhere that
    • The Tazmilians way of transportation includes: Walking, Jogging, Running.
    • When I first saw New Tazmily, it sort of seemed like Onett.. (In my perspective)
    • Porky is supposedly from the future and which starts the whole theme of Nature vs. Mode/Technology, since Porky is trying to prove that Modern stuff (Modern = New = Futuristic) is better than Nature (Old, original, unchanged). Since he's (supposedly) from the future, he wants to bring back a hint of the future to the past which is why..
    • Dragos (Dinosaurs, Past) are seen on a ranch. In Earthbound, all you see are crazy taxis and stop signs (Street stuff, Future) that tend to jump you.

Anyway, those are just some points I spotted for my own theory..

Also, I really do feel bad for porky. While fighting him, he trys to tell you that he's actually a nice kid, but he just has problems. I Do feel bad for him. In a way, his best friend betrayed him (Ness) by not siding with him and following his plan. Instead, he decided to fight for what he thinks is right. And then Porky gets angry and forgets about ness and becomes consumed by power. how many years before/later, he's in some new civilization where he has a chance to have everything HIS way. But now the same thing was happening again. Although Lucas wasn't Porky's playmate, he was basically unraveling the same death of Porky's friendship with Ness by not agreeing to just accept the Happy Box and let things go Porky's way. It's basically the same idea. Ness could have sided with him, but didn't. Lucas could have just took the damn happy box, but he didn't. So then Porky was forced to take action. I Really do feel sorry for the poor guy, missing his mother and all. At least he's safe from practically anything now..

Also. Let's bring up some more mysteries. Do you think Porky wanted to be Ness' friend? In the thuder tower in porky's little pink playroom with the Li'l Miss Marshmallow Robot, he has a
    which means he want's that item ESPECIALLY Protected.. But it was
    . This made me feel really sorry for Porky. I guess he really did want to be friends deep down inside..

Your Thoughts? Comments? DISCUSS.

12. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

13. Earthbound2

United States
    Um, actually, if you read the Itoi interview, he likes your imagination to run wild in this game and keep you guessing and imagining of how things are and why. Since it's impossible to create a sprite for every single person who buys the game/uses the ROM, they decided to use a pitch black screen with the characters still there so you can imagine yourself being in there with your own pixel. Also, since it's a brand new world, if they simply had shown you what it'd looks like and the series of events that unraveled after pulling the final needle, it's just lose the whole point point of the game - to let your imagination run free and speculate what happens next and what had happened, etc, etc..

That's why at the end of the game you find the familiar doorknob. A doorknob is a tool used to open a door. opening a door enables you to see into something else, but it could be anything past that door. This is exactly what Itoi wants. For you to think outside the box and go through that door to open up a new world of speculation where you can make anything possible.

14. Spider-Girl

Newcomer Spider-Girl Advanced Member

United States
    What?!

I have NEVER heard of this game! It sounds so exciting!!!
    I am so going to play it now!!

I think I was living under a rock when it came out...

15. Earl

Member Earl GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Is mother 1 worth a play through?

16. Rebellion

Member Rebellion Advanced Member

Canada
    If you're a MOTHER fan, you'll like it. The game is difficult to appreciate at this time and age because it's kind of.. outdated.

17. Stufreddy

Newcomer Stufreddy Member

Canada

They erased their memories and started anew because the evil that things such as money created in the old world. Man eventually destroyed mankind due to reasons of greed.

Porky did once say that he's been to the future but he never said that he's from the future.