After public outcry, 505 Games promises to fix performance issues for Bloodstained on Switch

header.jpg

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night released on June 18th to massive critical reception, becoming one of the highest-scored games of the year on OpenCritic. A few days later, on June 25th, the slightly delayed Nintendo Switch version of the game launched, to far less praise. Rampant framerate problems and crashes happened to plague the Switch release, to which the development team released a version 1.01 patch to fix certain issues. Sadly, the patch didn't seem to resolve the fluctuating framerate or even the random crashes. After concerns began to flood the internet, publisher 505 Games announced that they would be putting all their focus into fixing major issues for Bloodstained on the Switch, in order to allow the game to be enjoyable regardless of platform. Smaller patches will be distributed throughout the coming days, to try to increase game performance as soon as possible, so that players don't have to wait for one large patch that addresses every problem.

:arrow: Source

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha! So they are gonna let the ps4 version riot? From the reviews I have seen, the ps4 version is running just as bad, if not worse

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I have beaten the game and have 100% everything and I can't really say it's a very good or a very bad port. Definitely above mediocre. Yeah, I lost progress a couple of times, yeah, it hanged or crashed a couple of times, yeah, frame rate dropped in a couple of places, some glitches here and there but nothing major, really. Played both portable and docked. Looks kinda bad (in terms of resolution, sharpness), though, but the game and the art style grew on me.
Any improvements are very welcome, of course.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I lost progress a couple of times, yeah, it hanged or crashed a couple of times, yeah, frame rate dropped in a couple of places, some glitches here and there but nothing major, really.

Um, everything you posted is the definition of a bad port. No game, especially a CROWDFUNDED ONE, should be that bad.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The Switch port is so bad even with the update. It felt floaty on the Switch while on the PC version the experience was way more fun.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope this ends better than Stardew Valley Vita.

Really, crashes and the not 100% gamebreaking, but still very bad input lag should be priority.
I don't care about a few framedrops here or there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Haha! So they are gonna let the ps4 version riot? From the reviews I have seen, the ps4 version is running just as bad, if not worse

That's not what I heard at all.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really hate it when a software company intentionally* releases a product that is not ready because it would mess with their marketing plans if they didn't. In this age of instant social media, we should be able to kill any such product launch to such an extent that companies really think twice before trying that sh** ever again. Please let "505 Games" have it with both barrels.

* The first 15 years of my career were spent with some of the biggest software companies on the planet. It is impossible to release a major software/game without knowing just how flawed it is. All of us shipped games/apps that had known bugs. You'd never ship otherwise. But there's a difference between shipping a product when it's ready and shipping it when marketing needs it released. With the Switch version, 505's marketing team clearly decided that it would be disastrous to not release the Switch version at the same time. Gamers need to punish them and others like them so that no marketing department ever again says "ship it anyway" to a unplayable mess like Bloodstained. (And yes, I could tell lots of stories, starting with the unforgivable "early" release of Flight Sim 5.)

Last edited by ChibiMofo,

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not as bad as Mighty No 9 at least. That's like the low bar standard, right?

I don't think it's bricked any systems, but it's still pretty freakin' bad. It crashes. There's crazy amounts of latency, especially in docked mode. The written script is apparently self-censoring the word 'know' (it should up a huge blank spot every time a character spoke it). And the thing that I don't really hear anyone talking about is the texture quality. It looks like someone smeared vasoline over the pc version (which I broke down and bought because this was such a disappointing shit show). I can deal with 30 fps, but there are times when I'm pretty sure it was getting sub 20. If you're not in it for the physical, for god's sake wait until the fix it before you buy. Or get another version.

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It plays great on PC. I didn't notice a single framerate issue, no crashes, the controls remap easily, and the new graphics are gorgeous.

It's a shame the console ports are apparently not as good, but it did mean us PC folks got to play sooner.

Reactions: lexarvn

Risteing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Bloodstained on Siwtch is a buggy mess. Not only for any random crash here and there… but also "items drops" get stuck on walls, the character keep bouncing out of bound (you can defeat the Twin Dragon from behind) and the hit box is as random as it can.
Plus any weird decisión over game design, like the way you need to advance in underwater. The late game is extremely confusing on terms of design.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
- 40€ game
- releases a week after the very good PC/PS4/Xbox version
- no reviews or footage of the switch version prior to the release
- no gameplay trailer on the eShop (instant red flag)

Good thing I waited. I am not the type of guy who puts on a tinfoil hat but...*puts on tinfoil hat*
...it looks like 505 Games was very well aware that the Switch port is rubbish, so what did they do? Release the good versions first, get good PR (the core game itself is excellent, no doubt about that) and then release the Switch version a week later, hoping that people are too hyped from the positive reviews to notice that there is something *very* wrong with the Switch version.
...*puts his tinfoil hat away*

Yeah, does sound very likely with the current state of the industrie...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work