After public outcry, 505 Games promises to fix performance issues for Bloodstained on Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Imagine releasing a 2D pixelated sidescroller on a powerful system, just to have performance issues. :rofl2:

2. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Yea, PC would be the safest bet, it's just Steam is kind of a death sentence for games in my household these days in that they never really get played. Even though we have our best PC connected to the living room TV, we have never invested in a good controller option and just other boring little problems.

Just to bitch about it a bit more, I felt especially tool-like when those who waited and preordered through Best Buy got an awesome steel case, and then my backer version shows up with a shitty, thin cardboard sleeve. Gee, thanks...

3. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Uh... the Vita is, as sad as it may sound, dead.

Sony isn't making any new ones anymore.

Why would they waste time making a game for a dead system.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ah, that's a lot more sensible. Bad porting doesn't sound like 505 usually. Their 3DS port of Terraria was pretty good.

cucholix likes this.
  4. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    From my experience the console versions are much more likely to have performance issues compared to the average gaming pc. That being said, pc gamers are much more likely to complain or notice minor issues.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Get a Bluetooth adapter and use ps4, Xbox or switch controller no problem.

5. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Yes, yes, idk, yes.

6. HOv

HOv GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2018
    United States
    A friend of mine thought I was crazy and picky when I told him this game ran poorly and looked horrible on switch compared to Xb1 and PS4. To his defense, he never heard of the game and had nothing to compare it to so when he played it he didn't think there was anything wrong with it. This is just a horrible lazy port. There's no excuse for it as this is not even a big demanding game. This should be easy 720p-1080p 60fps. Shame on these people that worked on this switch port. These promises of so called fixes after launch is unacceptable. Games should be ready, looking and running great at launch as it should be for all games.

7. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    That’s because console gamers have put up with horrible performance in games for years.

8. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    No....this is far worse than normal.

I just recently got into the water area and the fps probably drops into the teens and even single digits. Its completely unacceptable especially with how low quality the graphics are.

Oh and how in the hell did they plan for this game to run on the Wii U and Vita?

9. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Mar 15, 2009
    thank goodness i didn't go switch all hail PS4

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Actually, you may be right.

11. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    The issue with the argument of "Gamer needs to punish them" is that if the port sells badly, the company will punish the programmer, which probably didn't have enough time to port to every console in time, instead of marketing to put unrealistic release date.

lexarvn likes this.
  12. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    I think it's the fact that it's got a lot of documentation. I remember reading that Japanese devs had the time of their lives with the UE3 due to there not being much, if any, Japanese documentation on developing using the engine. Then, when UE4 became "mainstream," they said that Epic communicated things better than they had previously. The thing about developing your own engine is that it's a lot of work which takes time which = $$$$$ in the business world. Therefore, if you have a bunch of that stuff to base your work on, you at least have a launching pad to work from as opposed to having to make everything from scratch.

I, for one, think that Death Stranding, RE2Make,and DMC5 are some of the most impressive games on a graphical level that I've seen this generation. The characters could be live action for all I know in DMC5 in the screenshots of them that I've seen, and Norman Reedus is rendered remarkably on a game that's an exclusive to a system running on hardware meant for a more mobile environment. Assuming that certain economic/political events don't force Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to sell their systems at a loss going into the next console generation, I can only imagine how much better of a showing the PS5/WindowsBox will be...

...not that a PC couldn't outperform it at the finish line!

13. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 I tinker and code.

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    as some one who owns several versions of this (yes i bought across multiple platforms) the switch version does have some issues but i havent experienced things such as input lag or "the game becomes unplayable" after 6 hours in. The game does dip to what seems to be low 20's at certain points.

Still the whole "public outcry" seems more like they reacted after a day of bad feedback. (atleast we backers got an email 24 hours after the switches release if i recall correctly)

I agree. I dont know... some people REALLY REALLY want this game to be the next mighty number 9 so they can outrage. The game will get patches and be fixed.

same but got the physical curse of the moon and ps4 physical backer version and bought the steelbook. I am popping the switch curse of the moon on the switch slot and popping the ps4 disc on the disc slot on the steelbook.. Then i will put the backer sleeve and call it a day.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2, Jun 27, 2019
  14. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    I want to support the devs, but think I will hold off getting the Switch version until they fix at least most of the issues.

15. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    I halted my playthrough until they release the patch, I want experience the game the best way possible on Switch

16. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Considering how badly it runs, I seriously doubt they can eventually get it running at the 60fps a game like this requires, at least not without some severe changes.

What seems weird to me is that the game is not demanding at all, at least by UE4 standards, which makes me wonder how badly Dragon Quest XI will run when it comes out.

17. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Started playing in docked mode today. The performance is a LOT better....still getting random crashes though.

Curious, for those having performance issues are you playing handheld or docked?

18. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    That's a bit of a reach. Considering it's just one console port that is reported to have such issues. Yes, it is a huge problem. It was delayed already, and clearly skipped some massive QA. These issues you just don't miss. Why people excuse bad dev work is beyond me.

"It can be patched" is the mindset that spawned massive day 1 patches.

HOv and cucholix like this.
  19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    My PS4 copy just arrived. Time to enjoy it. I think I will buy the Switch version when they get it working right... I really wanted to play it on the go, but oh well.

Memoir likes this.
  20. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    So true. Bloodstained runs very smoothly in comparison to this turd port.

sarkwalvein and cucholix like this.