After months of testing, Steam has replaced Big Picture Mode with a new Steam Deck styled UI

steam-big-picture-steam-deck.jpg

It's time to pay our respects to an old friend. After over a decade, Steam has finally replaced its Big Picture Mode, a feature introduced all the way back in 2012. It was designed to offer a more console-like UI experience, for gamers using a controller and TV rather than mouse and keyboard and monitor. Valve had been looking to replace the aging UI with something more akin to the look and style of the Steam Deck's UI. It was announced in mid 2021 that Big Picture Mode would be overhauled, and after months of testing, the public release is available to everyone. A full list of changes and tweaks can be found in the patch notes from the new client update.

:arrow: Source

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah not only does it feel too touchscreen-oriented, but Windows is also becoming too much of an "OS as a service" with each new revision. Last I checked Microsoft doesn't even allow for local accounts in Windows 11, and that's a dealbreaker for me.
They do, it's just more convoluted to access the option.

Reactions: Xzi

Xerokard

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
there's at least 2 buttons to go to the discussions page at any time from within the client itself, one on every single game page, and one under the "community" category
do you even use steam?

edit: after a bit of thinking now i think i might understand what you mean, a forum on *this* website, there already is one, it's here https://gbatemp.net/forums/computer-technology-and-gaming.166/
Yes, but wouldn't it be nice if everything pertaining to the Steam Deck/Steam OS were all conveniently grouped together and easily findable?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but wouldn't it be nice if everything pertaining to the Steam Deck/Steam OS were all conveniently grouped together and easily findable?
There’s zero reason for this to happen. You’re not the first to bring it up, you won’t be the last. It’s hard to justify opening up a specific subcategory for something like the Steam Deck… It’s just a computer with dedicated game pad controls. SteamOS is just an Arch variant that, fundamentally, operates the same as any other Arch based OS out there.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There’s zero reason for this to happen. You’re not the first to bring it up, you won’t be the last. It’s hard to justify opening up a specific subcategory for something like the Steam Deck… It’s just a computer with dedicated game pad controls. SteamOS is just an Arch variant that, fundamentally, operates the same as any other Arch based OS out there.
might as well open up a new specific subcategory for the gpd win, aya neo, whatever that geek one was called, and all those other handheld PCs that came out in recent times to ride the deck wave at a highly inflated cost

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
might as well open up a new specific subcategory for the gpd win, aya neo, whatever that geek one was called, and all those other handheld PCs that came out in recent times to ride the deck wave at a highly inflated cost
Pretty much.. You start with one, you open the door for all of them… Next thing you know we’re a dedicated handheld PC forum.

Xerokard

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Been having issues with Steam taking screenshots like crazy. There doesn't seem to be a setting in BPM. In desktop, the screenshot key was unbound, even setting it to a key I never use didn't help. Steam keeps starting up on restart even though it reads as disabled in Task Manager settings. My only option now is to wait 12 hours to backup 1TB of data and uninstall Steam.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-