Homebrew AES key scrambler

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
KeyX is set by Arm9Loader and KeyY is set by NATIVE_FIRM, so I guess you are right since KeyX is probably already cleared by the time arm9loaderhax runs. If we could get the normal key somehow it would be possible, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.
These keys are generated with Key #2 and you overwrute Key #2 with a garbage key to exploit this. So, while the keys are still set in the keyslots, you can't use themp, because they are garbage.
If you use memchunkhax2+ntrcardhax on sysNAND 9.6+, you will be able to use the keys (are they are set in keyslots), but not to know their values. Plus Nintendo will probably change the keys soon.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Plus Nintendo will probably change the keys soon.
and when nintendo change the keys, we will have to wait and do all of this stuff again? would it be harder, or just the same more work? i mean... if whatever made n3ds emunand 9.5+ so difficult, can't they just do that again, but... better/more?

-- stuff like cryptofix new games for n3ds, that will get worse/more complex?

Last edited by cearp,

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
and when nintendo change the keys, we will have to wait and do all of this stuff again? would it be harder, or just the same more work? i mean... if whatever made n3ds emunand 9.5+ so difficult, can't they just do that again, but... better/more?
Currently to use emuNAND 9.6+ you have to have a sysNAND 9.6+ and to exploit memchunkhax2+ntrcardhax. (To USE it.)
They fix ntrcardhax and they change the keys: you can't have emuNAND 10.4+

Reactions: uyjulian and cearp

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Currently to use emuNAND 9.6+ you have to have a sysNAND 9.6+ and to exploit memchunkhax2+ntrcardhax. (To USE it.)
But that's for N3DS, since O3DS can use Emunand 10.3 (atm) on sysnand 9.2? (not saying that 10.4 will work on O3DS if they fix the ntrcardhax and change keys (if for now, we all know Nintendo, sometimes there thinking in a very wierd way!))

Suiginou

(null)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Couldn't someone just dump the NAND 0x12c00 sector, firmlaunch into a modified 9.6 NATIVE_FIRM that doesn't do the keyslot cleanup, generate a xorpad from there to decrypt the 0x12c00 sector and thus be able to decrypt 9.6+ firmwares?

I'm not too hot into N3DS stuff.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
But that's for N3DS, since O3DS can use Emunand 10.3 (atm) on sysnand 9.2? (not saying that 10.4 will work on O3DS if they fix the ntrcardhax and change keys (if for now, we all know Nintendo))
Of course that's for N3DS, I'm not sure that Nintendo could ever block emuNAND on O3DS.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Couldn't someone just dump the NAND 0x12c00 sector, firmlaunch into a modified 9.6 NATIVE_FIRM that doesn't do the keyslot cleanup, generate a xorpad from there to decrypt the 0x12c00 sector and thus be able to decrypt 9.6+ firmwares?

I'm not too hot into N3DS stuff.
No, the OTP are locked. :P

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come nintendo only put the extra encryption on N3DS? It's successfully locked us out of 9.6 emunand so far, so it'd make sense to do it on o3DS, unless it requires new hardware that is N3DS exclusive?

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
How come nintendo only put the extra encryption on N3DS? It's successfully locked us out of 9.6 emunand so far, so it'd make sense to do it on o3DS, unless it requires new hardware that is N3DS exclusive?
It requires to install a special per-console sector on NAND.
Plus on O3DS a vulnerability could allow us to break it in a few minutes.

Reactions: froggestspirit

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Soooooo couldnt someone run Sysupdater on an O3DS on and downgrade to abuse the flaw? Or is there no complete 3.0 backup anywhere?
Not on THAT iso site. This issue was you couldnt run a browser or Cubic before 4.5(afaik) so no dumps exist yet.

But. In theory. Someone with a 3DS hardmodded on 2.x could do a nand dump on 2,x then upgrade to 4.5 and decrypt their 2.x nand dump.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
Not on THAT iso site. This issue was you couldnt run a browser or Cubic before 4.5(afaik) so no dumps exist yet.

But. In theory. Someone with a 3DS hardmodded on 2.x could do a nand dump on 2,x then upgrade to 4.5 and decrypt their 2.x nand dump.
ROP for 1.0 cubic ninja exists, but i digress. Also OTP is per console so you'd need to half-boot your n3ds somehow into 3x and obtain OTP. Or try the various other seemingly unlikely methods.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ROP for 1.0 cubic ninja exists, but i digress. Also OTP is per console so you'd need to half-boot your n3ds somehow into 3x and obtain OTP. Or try the various other seemingly unlikely methods.
2.X, not 3.X
And O3DS ARM11 kernel would panic, because of the new hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to