wiimii

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hi

I have a wii with d2b chipset with cut legs which i am currently installing wiikey with ,

Ive soldered the wiikey in (ground, vcc,and point 3) exept from the 3 points / 3 traces left on the ic chip , its really frustrating getting the wires to stick to the exposed traces (which i scraped down manually with a razor which took me 45 mins lol) .

Ive so far tried fluxing the traces and tinning them ..

( using soldering iron with solder on , not by directly adding it because i dont want to blather the legs with solder and create bridges)

Then fluxing and tinning the wires , then lining up the wires and tapping the wires on to the traces , it does stick a bit but then when i progress to the next trace/wire or knock the wire very slightly they drop right off .......

Any tips please ...

Thankyou ..

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried the exact same thing a while back. I never managed to do it.

However I bought some proper gear and all went well.

A router helps ALOT!

Get a bright desk lamp, it really helps you look at the traces.
A helping hand magnifier can help, although i found it more difficult to solder whilst looking through it.
Use a miniature soldering iron , much easier
Smear flux over the traces and your wire. Can't believe how much this helps.

Good luck!

wiimii

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thanks for the response Redsquirrel..

I have a desk lamp with adjustable arm and a magnifier helping hand i got with my soldering set

(I know exactly what you mean when you say you found it more difficult looking through it ) .

I was trying with the kynar i got with the wiikey , but i have stripped an old usb mouse down and have a few lengths of it.

Im considering using just one strip of the wire if you know what i mean

(the wire is intertwined with like 4 lengths of very thin wire)

If i strip one tiny thin length off it , it should be thinner than the kynar.

Ill re attempt the install tomorrow as ive been working all day and am tired now and dont want to render my wii unmoddable.

But anyone who knows , please feel free to advise me on any tips to consider before tomorrow
unsure.gif

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah give it a break and go in it with a clear mind tommorrow. It is pretty difficult especially the first time and I know when it starts to not go your way it stresses you out a bit!!

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Get some awg30 wire and a 15watt soldering iron. First scratch the 3 pins with a little knife so they become exposed. Then flux/tin them with some solder. Now cut a piece of awg30 wire and strip some of the insulation. Tin that exposed wire.

Now hold it to the cut pin and to heat it from the top to rebuild the whole pin, now cut it with some wire cutter.

Just like in my picture:
d2bcutlr7.jpg

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If he cannot get it working on exposed traces, there is no way he can do it the way specified above. Fluxed and tinned wires/points should do it.

wiimii

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
thank you everyone for your help i have just successfully finished my installation , took me a good 45 mins - 1 hour

off to play galaxy .. been waiting for ages

biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: @HoTuan You'll need one that hasn't had its stock firmware updated in quite some time, for starters