Advice on purchasing an iPod Touch (current gen.)

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by adrikk, Mar 29, 2012.

Mar 29, 2012
  1. adrikk
    OP

Newcomer adrikk Newbie

Singapore
    the current gen Touch has been out for more than 18 months, I'd like to hear some thoughts on getting one at this time.

I'm wondering if the asking price of $199 for one is worth it, and i'm concerned its an End of Life product with the 5th gen. model coming around soon.

2. Click This

Member Click This Surgite!

United States
    I say wait. 18 months is ancient in technology years.

3. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Agreed, wait It out especially If you where really planning on buying one new at full price. Most stuff in life drops quite in a bit in price over time, somehow Apple stuff just doesn't do the same thing yet people still buy. I dunno, maybe they have brainwashing technology that repeats, "Buy me" on the stuff.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    What do you need it for? Just music? Then get an iPod Shuffle (or Nano if you need space). The dozens of applications? Then get an iPhone. Need both with a good battery life? Only then get the iPod Touch (and don't worry about the next gen unless you seriously want to use it for gaming).

This coming from someone with an Android phone and an iPad 2, and still went and bought an iPod Touch for music and certain portable apps where battery life is an issue. And I hate iTunes.

5. gtmtnbiker

Member gtmtnbiker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I love my ipod touch. If you get one, I suggest 32GB or larger. The 8GB one is too small.

6. adrikk
    OP

Newcomer adrikk Newbie

Singapore
    Primarily to replace my old sansa mp3 player. The apps are a nice feature I'd like as well. Definitely not looking for a new phone so the Touch seemed like a nice choice.

My main gripe is with the age of the device, getting one now at this time makes me wonder if I should hold off for a new model, like most people are doing for PC/laptop purchases, since Ivy-Bridge is coming in the next few months.

Considering that no new Touch was released last year, I wonder if an updated model will be scheduled for release this year.

7. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    There is, without a doubt. But Apple seems to be changing their release patterns now.

8. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Before you know it, there will be an iPod Touch 5 at the current prices, 4.6" Retina Display, A5X Chip and 10 hours battery.

I say wait.

9. jrk190

Member jrk190 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you buy an Ipod touch, go all out. I have an 8gb, and I hate it. However, by the time you buy it, they'll have the new Ipad Mini. I don't think they will continue making the Ipod at all, the Iphone 5 concept I saw looks more like a droid. If you want to, go ahead and buy the Ipod touch 4g, but get the 64gb. If you can wait, get the Ipad mini.

10. 7urismo

Newcomer 7urismo Member

United States
    You might as well wait for the 5th Generation. It will likely be released around Summer/Autumn time, so, theres no point buying a device which will be rendered 'ancient' (in the technology world) in a few months time.