Apple Advice on purchasing an iPod Touch (current gen.)

adrikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
the current gen Touch has been out for more than 18 months, I'd like to hear some thoughts on getting one at this time.

I'm wondering if the asking price of $199 for one is worth it, and i'm concerned its an End of Life product with the 5th gen. model coming around soon.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, wait It out especially If you where really planning on buying one new at full price. Most stuff in life drops quite in a bit in price over time, somehow Apple stuff just doesn't do the same thing yet people still buy. I dunno, maybe they have brainwashing technology that repeats, "Buy me" on the stuff.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
What do you need it for? Just music? Then get an iPod Shuffle (or Nano if you need space). The dozens of applications? Then get an iPhone. Need both with a good battery life? Only then get the iPod Touch (and don't worry about the next gen unless you seriously want to use it for gaming).

This coming from someone with an Android phone and an iPad 2, and still went and bought an iPod Touch for music and certain portable apps where battery life is an issue. And I hate iTunes.

adrikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Primarily to replace my old sansa mp3 player. The apps are a nice feature I'd like as well. Definitely not looking for a new phone so the Touch seemed like a nice choice.

My main gripe is with the age of the device, getting one now at this time makes me wonder if I should hold off for a new model, like most people are doing for PC/laptop purchases, since Ivy-Bridge is coming in the next few months.

Considering that no new Touch was released last year, I wonder if an updated model will be scheduled for release this year.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Primarily to replace my old sansa mp3 player. The apps are a nice feature I'd like as well. Definitely not looking for a new phone so the Touch seemed like a nice choice.

My main gripe is with the age of the device, getting one now at this time makes me wonder if I should hold off for a new model, like most people are doing for PC/laptop purchases, since Ivy-Bridge is coming in the next few months.

Considering that no new Touch was released last year, I wonder if an updated model will be scheduled for release this year.

There is, without a doubt. But Apple seems to be changing their release patterns now.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Before you know it, there will be an iPod Touch 5 at the current prices, 4.6" Retina Display, A5X Chip and 10 hours battery.

I say wait.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy an Ipod touch, go all out. I have an 8gb, and I hate it. However, by the time you buy it, they'll have the new Ipad Mini. I don't think they will continue making the Ipod at all, the Iphone 5 concept I saw looks more like a droid. If you want to, go ahead and buy the Ipod touch 4g, but get the 64gb. If you can wait, get the Ipad mini.

7urismo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might as well wait for the 5th Generation. It will likely be released around Summer/Autumn time, so, theres no point buying a device which will be rendered 'ancient' (in the technology world) in a few months time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM