Hacking Adding exFAT support on FW 7.0.1?

Kingslayer_Kyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, got my hackable switch in the post today.

Just completed the first steps. Backed up my nand to PC, and I'm ready to launch CFW.

However, I'd like to put large files on my SD card (Something FAT32 doesn't allow)

So I need exFAT support. Looks like the previous owner didn't use an exFAT card because it's asking me to update to FW 8.0.0. Which I obviously can't do lol

So does anybody know of any way I could add exFAT support offline?

I've looked up tutorials on youtube and the guides seem pretty straight forward but I want to be really careful so that I don't end up with a brick.

And I'm not sure if the guides are specifically for certain FW versions.

So I really just want to add exFAT support offline and I'm not sure where to start.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you :)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may as well not use exFAT as it will just give you file corruption, so just stick with FAT32, you can always split large size NSP with nsp splitting program.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can just download ChoidujourNX and firmware 7.0.1. Install it with exfat support, and tada! You got Exfat :)

Kingslayer_Kyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You may as well not use exFAT as it will just give you file corruption, so just stick with FAT32, you can always split large size NSP with nsp splitting program.
I've tried formatting to FAT32, windows GUI didn't like it and wouldn't even show FAT32 as an option.

Tried using Diskpart in cmd to format it manually. Wouldn't work assuming because the card is too big? (128GB)

You can just download ChoidujourNX and firmware 7.0.1. Install it with exfat support, and tada! You got Exfat :)
Is it actually that simple? I didn't know whether you could install the same f/w over the top

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried formatting to FAT32, windows GUI didn't like it and wouldn't even show FAT32 as an option.

Tried using Diskpart in cmd to format it manually. Wouldn't work assuming because the card is too big? (128GB)

Is it actually that simple? I didn't know whether you could install the same f/w over the top

try Guiformat, you can install the driver like @linuxares suggested, you are gonna bound to run into file corruption if your SD is exFAT, so your choice.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

You can :) I've done it in the past! Super easy to do! just press the firmware 7.0.1 (exfat) to get exfat support. I always click it since even if I don't have exfat cards, I still want the support for it!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always use https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I don't recall if it has a fat32 option for large cards, but I know that sd card manufacturers have pulled tricks in the past like putting special sectors in specific places for performance and reliability which rely on using the correct file system. The official formatter is the only one that is guaranteed to format the card so that it's laid out properly.

Things may have moved on in the industry, but as I have never had any problem at all with exFAT on switch then I can't be bothered to investigate.

Kingslayer_Kyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can :) I've done it in the past! Super easy to do! just press the firmware 7.0.1 (exfat) to get exfat support. I always click it since even if I don't have exfat cards, I still want the support for it!
Thanks, I did this and it worked. I forgot to come back to thank you for the response.

And thanks guys, If I do run into any problems I'll just go to FAT32.. But I do like the transfer speeds that you get with exFAT and the comfortable file size limit.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exfat works fine other than some poorly coded homebrew. If you're just looking to play xci or install nsp's it's fine. It's never corrupted on me, and that's pretty much how I use it (and I've been using it since last summer)

Vampir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Of course I have, I came empty.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I found NintendoSDK Firmware for NX-7.0.1, I hope this is ok.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, it seems that dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, they might be going...