Adapter-Loving Gamer Creates eGPU Setup for Any Thunderbolt-Enabled PC

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by PityOnU, Jul 31, 2013.

1. PityOnU
    OP

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    This fellow has actually managed to make a DIY external GPU (eGPU) setup akin to the Sony Vaio Z that should work on any PC using off-the-shelf adapters already available to the public.

In the video below, he shows off Borderlands 2 running maxed out at native resolution on an 11" Macbook Air - but this same setup should work with any PC that is Thunderbolt enabled.

Does this intrigue anyone else as much as it does me?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have a feeling I have seen something like this before -- is it basically the same idea as the 2xPCIe adapters people made when others were experimenting with those laptops that allowed external graphics cards?

Celice likes this.
  3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    not really, should it?

4. PityOnU
    OP

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Eh, I guess this is somewhat uninteresting for everyone else.

Disregard, please.

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Interesting concept, but a main reason things like this never took off is because it rather kills a lot of a laptop's portability.

heartgold likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's true, but on the other hand carrying an eGPU is a case specifically designed for doing just that is still more portable than carrying around a desktop computer, so all things considered, this is a good solution for LAN parties or "using your laptop as if it was a desktop", and yes, a lot of people do that.

7. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I meant versus buying a laptop that can do this in the first place.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The problem with "laptops that can do this in the first place" is that the GPU's run on power saving settings for the sake of the battery and the overall cooling and even so they produce ridiculous amounts of heat while you're using them for gaming. In the rare instance that they do have sufficient cooling, they're bulky buggers you wouldn't want to carry around anyways. That, and their price is quite a hurdle. :P

The benefits of a eGPU are that it can be powered externally and thus go full blast, once it becomes obsolete, you can simply swap the GFX card for a new one which isn't always the case with laptops. Sure, the overall performance is capped due to all the adapters, but at the end of the day I can see value in this kind of a solution. :)

#Captain_Obvious :ninja:

9. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You can already use sound card, video capture card, etc using this Thunderbolt enclosure,

http://www.magma.com/expressbox-3t

Of course the main barrier to Thunderbotl adoption is high cost. It is really up to Intel to come up a way to drive down the price.

10. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    If this were a bit cleaner than the video portrays the system, then I would have no problem with running an otherwise nicely specced laptop that had crap graphics. I don't want to game on my laptop on the go anyway. Portability of files/computation meets ability to play games when at home.

11. finkmac

finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2011
    Canada
    Over there
    Yay, More thunderbolt stuff... Which isn't very expensive.

Might make that thunderbolt port on my Air waaay more useful, although there already is an expansion card cage available.