Hacking ACID patches?

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ACID is a small signature protected header inside of exefs partitions.
Tinfoil uses an unsafe method to install corrupt XCI files, this requires ACID patches.
Basically Tinfoil is junk and blawar refuses to fix his installer, so he just blocks out a perfectly working Bootloader/Repack.

Qubarf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Tinfoil uses an unsafe method to install corrupt XCI files, this requires ACID patches.
Basically Tinfoil is junk and blawar refuses to fix his installer, so he just blocks out a perfectly working Bootloader/Repack.
So ACID patches are only neaded for xci files?

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, they are both in NSP and XCI, but they are only needed when you "install" a XCI file.
Or if you want to install a corrupt NSP, but why would you do that?

Reactions: Khodeus

Qubarf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Ok, thanks! Thing is, even with the ACID patches tinfoil on Kosmos, EmuMMC, doesn't work!

tides

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

dont know about corrupt xci but tinfoil is the only app that can install games that require a higher firmware.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont know about corrupt xci but tinfoil is the only app that can install games that require a higher firmware.

That's not true. Even the original Tinfoil had that option to ignore the required firmware version. Goldleaf has it as well.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is the one I been using.
Hmm, looks like now only Vanilla KOSMOS + these are needed to run even the newest hbg shop.
In fact that's the hekate j mod repo you just linked but that guy turned his hekate mod into "just a patches delivery" instead. Should be good to go and the best way to stay on official KOSMOS.

Reactions: Hayato213

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this is a disingenuous post so let me drop some education on you real quick. According to people smarter than me:
ACID patches are safer than not having them. If you don't have the ACID patch, you need to corrupt the ACID sig to install converted XCI or modified nsp files on the Switch. When you have the ACID patches, the ACID sig remains valid and you can check it to make sure it's signed by Nintendo.

Secondly, Tinfoil doesn't need ACID patches but having them is much preferred. I might be mistaken, it's been a while since I've looked into it, but the reason that Tinfoil wants ACID patches is because when it comes to installing an XCI, It has to unpack, hash and rename, then install the file and with the ACID patches it can skip the hashing and renaming step. Some games can be quite large and having to hash them can more than double the install time. I can't say I blame him for wanting to skip the trouble. @blawar can correct me if I'm mistaken.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I feel like this is a disingenuous post so let me drop some education on you real quick. According to people smarter than me:

Secondly, Tinfoil doesn't need ACID patches but having them is much preferred. I might be mistaken, it's been a while since I've looked into it, but the reason that Tinfoil wants ACID patches is because when it comes to installing an XCI, It has to unpack, hash and rename, then install the file and with the ACID patches it can skip the hashing and renaming step. Some games can be quite large and having to hash them can more than double the install time. I can't say I blame him for wanting to skip the trouble. @blawar can correct me if I'm mistaken.

If @Falo could comment on that, it'd be great! But what you say makes it sound entirely reasonable to want Acid patches. I don't understand the appeal behind Kosmos, other than the ease of installing (But Vanilla Atmo with patches is just as easy, and less cluttered). I like to understand everything I'm using. My impression is that Kosmos users are just starting out and feel overburdened by that.

Last edited by tabzer,

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On what basis are your claims that he doesn't know what he's talking about? because Goldleaf and the original tinfoil does indeed have the ignore required firmware option.

he’s talking about standard crypto on new tinfoil, it lets you install patches and games that are lower than “ignore firmware” will allow

Reactions: tides and annson24

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.