ACID patches?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Hamdan, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
  2. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2012
    Germany
    ACID is a small signature protected header inside of exefs partitions.
    Tinfoil uses an unsafe method to install corrupt XCI files, this requires ACID patches.
    Basically Tinfoil is junk and blawar refuses to fix his installer, so he just blocks out a perfectly working Bootloader/Repack.

mathew77, n0v317y, temper999 and 2 others like this.
  3. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    So ACID patches are only neaded for xci files?

4. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2012
    Germany
    No, they are both in NSP and XCI, but they are only needed when you "install" a XCI file.
    Or if you want to install a corrupt NSP, but why would you do that?

Khodeus likes this.
  5. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Ok, thanks! Thing is, even with the ACID patches tinfoil on Kosmos, EmuMMC, doesn't work!

6. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    It works for me. Did you make sure to use the j mod of hekate and copy over the j mod files to the sd card?

7. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Yes? It just says install failed and that's it.

8. tides

tides GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    dont know about corrupt xci but tinfoil is the only app that can install games that require a higher firmware.

9. Taorn

Taorn GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2017
    United States
    That's not true. Even the original Tinfoil had that option to ignore the required firmware version. Goldleaf has it as well.

lordelan likes this.
  10. tides

tides GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    you dont know what you are talking about

11. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    On what basis are your claims that he doesn't know what he's talking about? because Goldleaf and the original tinfoil does indeed have the ignore required firmware option.

nekojosh and lordelan like this.
  12. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    HBG shop 1.55 works even without those ACID patches (and therefore with vanilla KOSMOS).

Hayato213 likes this.
  13. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    That is the one I been using.

14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Hmm, looks like now only Vanilla KOSMOS + these are needed to run even the newest hbg shop.
    In fact that's the hekate j mod repo you just linked but that guy turned his hekate mod into "just a patches delivery" instead. Should be good to go and the best way to stay on official KOSMOS.

Hayato213 likes this.
  15. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    I feel like this is a disingenuous post so let me drop some education on you real quick. According to people smarter than me:
    Secondly, Tinfoil doesn't need ACID patches but having them is much preferred. I might be mistaken, it's been a while since I've looked into it, but the reason that Tinfoil wants ACID patches is because when it comes to installing an XCI, It has to unpack, hash and rename, then install the file and with the ACID patches it can skip the hashing and renaming step. Some games can be quite large and having to hash them can more than double the install time. I can't say I blame him for wanting to skip the trouble. @blawar can correct me if I'm mistaken.

blawar, thaikhoa and tabzer like this.
  16. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan

If @Falo could comment on that, it'd be great! But what you say makes it sound entirely reasonable to want Acid patches. I don't understand the appeal behind Kosmos, other than the ease of installing (But Vanilla Atmo with patches is just as easy, and less cluttered). I like to understand everything I'm using. My impression is that Kosmos users are just starting out and feel overburdened by that.

Last edited by tabzer, Jul 2, 2019
  17. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    he’s talking about standard crypto on new tinfoil, it lets you install patches and games that are lower than “ignore firmware” will allow

tides and annson24 like this.